Australia/NZ Cruising News

3 hours ago, mattymay said:

which ship? lol

Makes sense, all the other lines are starting to do it.

Voyager class is the biggest ship that can get into Melbourne. 
I believe Quantam has to much side wind cross section.
Its a narrow channel and if the wind is bad ,it could be a bit hazardous.

As for Melbourne as a home port ,it would have to be a hundred times better that Brisbane, especially for N.Z .

It might be just more Royal hype ,I just thought I would post it.

8 hours ago, Chili said:

Voyager class is the biggest ship that can get into Melbourne. 
I believe Quantam has to much side wind cross section.
Its a narrow channel and if the wind is bad ,it could be a bit hazardous.

As for Melbourne as a home port ,it would have to be a hundred times better that Brisbane, especially for N.Z .

It might be just more Royal hype ,I just thought I would post it.

Will cancel my Virgin Voyages cruise instantly if Royal put a ship in Melbourne!

5 hours ago, FionaMG said:

Could a ship potentially interport with embarkation in both Brisbane and Melbourne? The way Oasis class do in the Western Med?

It probably could but not likely.

Melbourne could quite easily fill a radiance class by its self. It’s a pretty big city and is very attractive to overseas tourists.

Much more attractive than Brisbane.

3 hours ago, Chili said:

It probably could but not likely.

Melbourne could quite easily fill a radiance class by its self. It’s a pretty big city and is very attractive to overseas tourists.

Much more attractive than Brisbane.

Fair enough. I'm storing all this info away for our retirement cruise a few years from now. 😊

• 2 weeks later...

This season has been a bit of a disaster for the pacific islands especially for Quantum.

Today Quantum once again dropped Mystery Island, chattering to someone on board they blamed bad weather.The person onboard didn’t think the weather was that bad but none of the islanders turned up after the ship anchored.

Between Quantum and Ovation I think there has been only one successful visit to Mystery Island,which is the highlight of the pacific islands.

Carnival group  doesn’t seem to be having a problem ,I’m starting to think Royal has had a fallout with the locals.

Here’s a couple of snap shots off a local agent. Quantum is 20% discounted cheaper than Ovation  and Quantum’s not selling very well .

36E53670-4898-4E91-A242-EE87740682C8.thumb.png.95adf3a6dc7c915f459fa16c97e1b7f5.pngCC4BF462-B89B-4134-85AD-C16A2E7EEEC4.thumb.png.a580b0116224997ee24f147b007d630c.png

• 2 weeks later...

The port villa I could kind of understand 4janOVTS. However, I've been on voyager of the seas under higher seas on a tender + wind isle of pines. Surprise, they didn't charge for the thrill ride of getting on the tender hahahhaha.

But the mystery island cancellation absolute load of.......

How many PAX on Quantum vs Ovation and approx per head port fees.

Sounds silly but I know Vanuatu is still sticking to the guns regarding "that" issue.

And good on them but not good for us PAX.

7 hours ago, Chili said:

o only Ovation in Sydney for 24-25 season.

I am looking at the website and there are Brilliance sailings for first part of 2024. I am booked on xome. The 2024/25 season has not been released for Australia. The schedule is due for release sometime in March 

5 hours ago, CruisingOz said:

I am looking at the website and there are Brilliance sailings for first part of 2024. I am booked on xome. The 2024/25 season has not been released for Australia. The schedule is due for release sometime in March 

I know 24-25 season hasn’t been released,usually around March?

But there where port bookings on Sydney port authority and around some Australian ports for Vision of the seas .

It would have been a place holder for a Radiance class ,probably Brilliance.

They have all disappeared ??
With Sydney’s congestion ,I would say it would be extremely hard ,if not impossible to replace them .

I’m looking at booking a caribbean cruise for this August. Just wondering what everyone recommends as to whether it’s better to book on Aus site and have grats included or try U.S site with exchange rate? I am also considering using next cruise on board in February but I think the only benefit of that is reduced deposit and potentially some OBC but would prefer to book sooner rather than later! 

9 hours ago, khas said:

I’m looking at booking a caribbean cruise for this August. Just wondering what everyone recommends as to whether it’s better to book on Aus site and have grats included or try U.S site with exchange rate? I am also considering using next cruise on board in February but I think the only benefit of that is reduced deposit and potentially some OBC but would prefer to book sooner rather than later! 

Both ways can have their pros and cons. Have booked Caribbean cruises from both sites, in my experience it is easier to book from Aus site if you need to call up about anything as they will divert you to a different call centre if you have booked in the US which was a bit of a pain. But sometimes it can be $1000's cheaper from the US site even after currency conversion, kid's sail free promos, etc..

For simplicity I generally use the Australian website. For example, when I used the Hong Kong website to book a cruise to Japan Royal ended up cancelling the cruise and issued a FCC in HK$ for the inconvenience.

It was only redeemable on that website and there wasn't another cruise we wanted to book so effectively we lost the FCC.

I think if there are no issues it should not matter which one you book with but if there are issues it can be a lot more work.

MEI travel will book for Australian passengers so I would suggest using them to purchase a cruise in USD so at least they can work on your behalf if something unforeseen happens.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, SteveK said:

People queued up in the terminal with their best Hawaiian shirts on ready for their hot summer South Pacific Cruise... when the news comes through......... Ok you are now off to chilly Tasmania  😂

https://twitter.com/9NewsQueensland/status/1622873774847582209

I don't think many ships in Jan have completed their proper itinerary. 

• 3 weeks later...

I was watching Harr Travel live stream today and Danny was speculating that Anthem might be heading our way in 2024/25 as it has had no itineraries released yet. It has been replaced by Odyssey on the itinerary it has been sailing for the last few years. All the Caribbean cruises have been released now so it is likely it will either come to us or Singapore/Hong Kong/China.

I actually hope we get Spectrum as it would be nice to get a Quantum Ultra class ship for a slight update to Ovation and Quantum.

may seems like a long way away for new sailing when I want to book a cruise now.

10 hours ago, F1guynz said:

I was watching Harr Travel live stream today and Danny was speculating that Anthem might be heading our way in 2024/25 as it has had no itineraries released yet. It has been replaced by Odyssey on the itinerary it has been sailing for the last few years. All the Caribbean cruises have been released now so it is likely it will either come to us or Singapore/Hong Kong/China.

I actually hope we get Spectrum as it would be nice to get a Quantum Ultra class ship for a slight update to Ovation and Quantum.

may seems like a long way away for new sailing when I want to book a cruise now.

There is also speculation that Anthem might remain in Europe to do year around sailings.  NCL is now doing year around sailings, I think Celebrity will join in on the action, there is speculation Royal might join this growing trend with Anthem.  Royal has already expanded their European 2024 season with some ships not leaving Europe until November meaning those ships wouldn’t reach the US until a week or so before U.S.’s Thanksgiving holiday. Leaving Anthem in Europe to sail the Canary Islands and Portugal would allow Royal to compete with NCL and it would allow Royal to at least start their Mediterranean season earlier.  NCL’s Mediterranean season will start in March thanks to the ship they are leave in Europe. Royal’s season can’t begin until Mid to late April, because March is still very much high season for cruises to the Caribbean from the U.S. But with European cruises becoming evermore popular with American’s I don’t think Royal wants to give NCL a 4-6 week advantage in the all important Mediterranean market.  It is still cool in the Mediterranean in March and early April so Anthem would be a great ship to utilize in that market then reposition her to South Hampton when your Oasis Class ship, Odyssey, and Voyager Class ships arrive in April.   

18 minutes ago, JasonOasis said:

There is also speculation that Anthem might remain in Europe to do year around sailings.

Interesting, I thought Royal had already released the European sailings in December, do you think they could be holing back the announcement on Anthem?

10 hours ago, F1guynz said:

I think eventually we will have year round Q class to coincide with Lelepa. That would pull one out of Alaska so it make sense that another one might head over this side of the world.