Australia/NZ Cruising News

43 minutes ago, twangster said:

By 2025 - 2026 they'll be another O class and in the process of cranking out more Icon class.  Maybe go for the brass ring and a future Icon build.  Why settle for Oasis class?

I like your thinking there! Go for the latest.. On a side note has anyone mentioned if Icon Class will tender? I'm guessing no as per Oasis Class but haven't seen mention of it.. 

43 minutes ago, Shanenz84 said:

I like your thinking there! Go for the latest.. On a side note has anyone mentioned if Icon Class will tender? I'm guessing no as per Oasis Class but haven't seen mention of it.. 

Keep an eye open for any lifeboats shots from the Meyer Turku shipyard.  The lifeboats that can do double duty as tenders look distinctly different.  I'm guessing no, but keeping an open mind.

5 hours ago, twangster said:

Keep an eye open for any lifeboats shots from the Meyer Turku shipyard.  The lifeboats that can do double duty as tenders look distinctly different.  I'm guessing no, but keeping an open mind.

I like someone with positive thinking in the world we have.

LNG in port Kembla (Sydney) 

LNG in Tauranga (New Zealand)

LNG in Singapore 

11 hours ago, twangster said:

If she carries tenders, that would be a very positive sign. However the freedom class doesn't carry tender boats but still tenders in Belize by hiring local boats. Therefore,  the absence won't necessarily rule out tender ports.

That said, I doubt they will do that as there are so many people on board that it's probably impractical. 

3 hours ago, F1guynz said:

Now that cruising has restarted don’t forget that Australian sailings booked last year are eligible for double crown and anchor points.

Yep, looking forwrd to our 22 points for our 111 night cruise in Jan. This curise will put us over the Diamond threshold. 

One thing that kinda worries me is I can't find any reference of the double points offer on any of my documentation but I understand that is normal.

34 minutes ago, Ray said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-63605824.amp

Hopefully any negative press about this situation is ignored and those in power use their brains and realise that things like like are going to happen from now on be it on land or at sea! 

"

All cases were either asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic, she said.

"

And they all were allowed to disembark. For a country that took some covid extremes early on, Australia seems to be handling it correctly.

52 minutes ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

I'm curious to know how many of the 800 was vaxxed

With Princess 95% of passengers over 12 must be vaccinated so I would suggest I pretty high percentage.

We just completed a cruise on Ovation and Anita ended up with mild Covid on the last night so it just happens sometimes regardless of vax status.

12 hours ago, EmersonNZ said:

Diamond threshold. 

Awesome, we didn’t go to the diamond lounge but enjoyed the 4 “free” drinks each day. We didn’t use them all and because of the double points promotion next time we will get 5.

now that they charge for ifly and North Star maybe they should offer discounts based on status level.

2 hours ago, F1guynz said:

because of the double points promotion next time we will get 5.

Hopefully the trail on letting D+ into the Concierge Lounge worked out on the Ovation and you can visit there. It is a great area on the aft of deck 12. A really nice place to sit and watch the world pass. 

1 hour ago, CruisingOz said:

Concierge Lounge

We used this on the last cruise and it was very good as it was busy but still just enough seats for everyone.

the only thing I don’t like about is in the afternoon the sun quite often comes in through the back windows and makes the big chairs uncomfortable to sit in with the sun directly on you.

10 hours ago, MattinBNE said:

Seeing news reports today of a national lockout of tug boat crews by Svitzer - starting on Friday at 9am - understand this extends to cruise ships in Australian ports - anyone heard anything?

I think our tugs are government,Im not a 100% .

In Sydney I believe they are part of  transport for N.S.W.

On 11/12/2022 at 7:48 PM, F1guynz said:

Now that cruising has restarted don’t forget that Australian sailings booked last year are eligible for double crown and anchor points.

Yep! I'm a solo cruiser in a balcony - I'm earning a whopping 40 points for my 10 night cruise to the South Pacific next week.  Add to that the 12 points I'll get for the cheeky 3 night cruise to nowhere before that, and I'm leaping from Platinum to Diamond!

Never thought that would happen so quickly, but very grateful that it will 😀

First time cruiser here. I am  taking my kinds on a south pacific cruise in December on the Quantum of the seas. Its over the Christmas period and i am curious about a couple of things. 

My three teenage kids wanted to go snorkeling and i would like to know what island is the best to take them. And would you pre book via the ship our just arrange once we arrive at the location. I have been to Vanuatu before  and remember it is very easy to get cheap transport. But my last trip wasn't with 4000 other people with the same idea.

9 hours ago, June May said:

Never thought that would happen so quickly, but very grateful that it will

Congratulations, it is great for moving through the levels so quickly.

We just got our points for for our Ovation and Royal applied the double points correctly so that is pleasing. We got 44 for this cruise and will get 32 for the next one.

On 11/12/2022 at 7:44 AM, EmersonNZ said:

One thing that kinda worries me is I can't find any reference of the double points offer on any of my documentation but I understand that is normal.

It was never listed on any of the documentation for any of 20 cruises that I had that were eligible for double points up here.  Most of those posted properly but two or three didn't.  When I contacted CAS they were quickly able to confirm I was eligible for double points through the promo and they corrected the points.

All this to say I've never had a problem with Royal trying to evade the double points promo.  They've always honored it even if it didn't post properly the first time.  

On 11/15/2022 at 5:50 AM, Chili said:

I think our tugs are government,Im not a 100% .

In Sydney I believe they are part of  transport for N.S.W.

Licenced by government but run by private companies - Channel 7 brisbane last night specifically referenced impact to cruising.

Guess we will see what happens on Friday - I think Quantum gets into Brisbane prior to the lock out on Friday but is due to depart after it starts

My SIL and MIL are on Quantum at the moment. They are stuck in isolation with Covid but at least they got to enjoy all the port visits first. As they are isolating they are getting free room service, Voom and FCC for each day they have to isolate.

The seas are a bit rough but at least they have a balcony for fresh air.

They have to wait and disembark separately after all the standard disembark procedures have completed.

I have a friend booked on a Princess cruise and he has received an email with their updated mask policy.

”In response to the increasing Covid cases in Australia caused by the spread of new sub variants we have updated the mark wearing policy for your voyage”

”guests are required to wear masks on board while indoors and we recommend guests wear face masks while outdoors on board where larger numbers of people are congregating”

it sounds like P&O Australia (also a Carnival brand) are also implementing this policy.

I wonder if Royal will follow suit or whether they will maintain their existing policies. I hope the status quo prevails.

Having caught Covid on our last cruise I am still happy to not wear a mask indoors and take my chances. The weird thing is on land you can have Covid and not need to isolate at all but when it comes to cruise ships it is all doom and gloom by the media if there are higher number of cases.

Times have moved on from the Diamond and Ruby Princess and for most people Covid is now no worse than a cold outbreak on a ship.

5 hours ago, Chili said:

At the C&A event today the captain said that RC has decided our ports are to underdeveloped for a oasis class. So it’s going to be some time he said.

I think you would find that if they thought they would get a bigger profit with an Oasis class ship in Aust/NZ compared to where it is now... the ports would suddenly be 'developed' enough.

While Oasis class are massive there are a number of ports in NZ (ok, 5, ironically not Auckland, and 6 if you count Bluff but not sure it is a tourist hotbed) and I imagine a number in Aust that could accommodate an Osasis class technically... I guess the issue would be the cruise terminal capacity for onboarding and customs etc in Sydney and Brisbane which might be an issue but 5,400 pax v 4,200 pax isn't a huge difference there.

There is also the competition factor. Royal needs it newest, biggest and flashiness in the Caribbean market as they are competing with every other cruise lines newest and best. In out market and Quantum class is a ‘wow’ ship and has little competition (At least competition that is so much better you’d choose that ship over them). If the market changed and the competition brought in new ships and/or the market was such that competition was so hot you needed every advantage you could get I am sure they would find a way to bring a Oasis class down this way (If they thought they could get more revenue than where it is currently that is)

The reality is the Oasis class make more money in their current locations and the current demand can be fulfilled with the odd Quantum class and smaller vessels. 

2 hours ago, EmersonNZ said:

I think you would find that if they thought they would get a bigger profit with an Oasis class ship in Aust/NZ compared to where it is now... the ports would suddenly be 'developed' enough.

While Oasis class are massive there are a number of ports in NZ (ok, 5, ironically not Auckland, and 6 if you count Bluff but not sure it is a tourist hotbed) and I imagine a number in Aust that could accommodate an Osasis class technically... I guess the issue would be the cruise terminal capacity for onboarding and customs etc in Sydney and Brisbane which might be an issue but 5,400 pax v 4,200 pax isn't a huge difference there.

There is also the competition factor. Royal needs it newest, biggest and flashiness in the Caribbean market as they are competing with every other cruise lines newest and best. In out market and Quantum class is a ‘wow’ ship and has little competition (At least competition that is so much better you’d choose that ship over them). If the market changed and the competition brought in new ships and/or the market was such that competition was so hot you needed every advantage you could get I am sure they would find a way to bring a Oasis class down this way (If they thought they could get more revenue than where it is currently that is)

The reality is the Oasis class make more money in their current locations and the current demand can be fulfilled with the odd Quantum class and smaller vessels. 

I think another issue Royal would have to figure out is where to put an Oasis Class ship during the Southern Hemisphere's winter season?  I don't see them sending an Oasis Class ship to do Alaska sailing, or to Los Angeles for sailing to Mexico, and with China's cruise market still very much in uncertainty where does an Oasis Class ship go from April through September? 

But I honestly still believe with a 6th Oasis Class ship coming and 3 total Icon Class ships when China reopens and allows cruising to resume an Oasis Class ship will find its way to China.  All of a sudden Australia/NZ ports will be developed enough to accommodate an Oasis Class ship during the Southern Hemisphere's summer season.

15 hours ago, Big Tule said:

black Friday  alert starts 18th for cruise planner was  in my inbox today also early access for crown and anchor for bookings ...just repriced my Jan 2024 Brilliance cruise same suite, saving $350 and I got to keep onboard credits

stroll.gif

That's great 😁

I looked up my South Pacific cruise and black friday sale has it $900 MORE than what i paid

edit...and i just checked again, now it's $1100 more...lol

9 hours ago, JasonOasis said:

I think another issue Royal would have to figure out is where to put an Oasis Class ship during the Southern Hemisphere's winter season?  I don't see them sending an Oasis Class ship to do Alaska sailing, or to Los Angeles for sailing to Mexico, and with China's cruise market still very much in uncertainty where does an Oasis Class ship go from April through September? 

If and when we get a oasis it would be split between Sydney and Singapore.

Probaly it would be deployed in Singapore from March to September and Spectrum would be bumped to Asia,more than likely Tokyo.

Spectrum is doing a couple of cruises to Tokyo and apparently they are selling extremely well.

12 hours ago, EmersonNZ said:

I think the biggest drawback at the moment is a home port.

Brisbane is turning out to be unpopular,Circular quay’s terminal couldn’t handle the 6,000 passengers.

Sydney needs a new cruise terminal.

Legislation has just been passed to allow a major upgrade of New Castle container terminal. That should allow a berth in port botany for a cruise ship that could quite easily take a oasis.

Port botany isn’t the most beautiful place but that’s all we have.

14 hours ago, EmersonNZ said:

Mega ships generate the most revenue when they cycle repeatedly.  They don't handle varying itineraries going back and forth between short and long.  They work well in the US where they can repeat a pattern on a 7 night basis.  Out of Texas and New Jersey it's the same 7 night cruise week after week.  Out of Florida there are enough ports so they can butterfly east then west Caribbean. 

There is a science to turning a mega ship between cruises.  It's a lot to unload, load and go that they perfected.  

As they look to a new home port they'll desire to create that same turn and burn approach.  So what hope port offers the ability to perform a repetitive itinerary ideally 7 nights?   Longer itinerary require more supplies which take longer to load on turn around day.  That pushes them near a breaking point for transatlantic.   Doing so every week would not be ideal. 

Itineraries that work on other classes may not map well to Oasis class. 

On 11/18/2022 at 11:03 AM, twangster said:

There is a science to turning a mega ship between cruises.  It's a lot to unload, load and go that they perfected.  

As they look to a new home port they'll desire to create that same turn and burn approach.  So what hope port offers the ability to perform a repetitive itinerary ideally 7 nights?   Longer itinerary require more supplies which take longer to load on turn around day.  That pushes them near a breaking point for transatlantic.   Doing so every week would not be ideal. 

Itineraries that work on other classes may not map well to Oasis class. 

I would think their plan being once Lelepa is up and running, that an oasis class would do repeat 7 night trips from Brisbane to pacific islands. Bringing an oasis class to Brisbane would help bring a lot more people to depart from Brisbane’s new terminal as well, since it’s not exactly an idyllic location like Sydney’s. 

2 hours ago, khas said:

I would think their plan being once Lelepa is up and running, that an oasis class would do repeat 7 night trips from Brisbane to pacific islands. Bringing an oasis class to Brisbane would help bring a lot more people to depart from Brisbane’s new terminal as well, since it’s not exactly an idyllic location like Sydney’s. 

That's a start.  Once Lelepa has a pier what other ports are within range of a 7 night cruise from Brisbane that are Oasis capable?

9 hours ago, twangster said:

That's a start.  Once Lelepa has a pier what other ports are within range of a 7 night cruise from Brisbane that are Oasis capable?

Noumea,Tauranga,Picton, Sydney,Eden,Hobart.

Im currently on Ovation in Vila,which is the main town of Vanuatu,just around the corner from Lelepa.

Ovation is to big to get into the port and it’s anchored in the bay overnight.

It a lovely place but we have to tender,bit of a hassle.

If it made any sense,Royal should get together with Carnival and some foreign aid group and build a decent wharf here.

8ED0F20C-964C-4273-BDCC-788DEF35F0CC.thumb.jpeg.291b266cc5ea2a37344850c8f84c27c5.jpeg