Australia/NZ Cruising News

1 hour ago, CruisingOz said:

Watch this space. Royal will homeport a ship at Brisbane 12 months of the year as a direct competitor to P&O & Carnival. 
Prices are certainly cheaper on the Quantum with a similar cabin to what I booked on the Ovation Transpacific being a fraction of the price. Although the cruise for my sister 50th in Nov is nearly sold out leavi g only a couple of high end suites.

Let’s see 

Maybe a smaller ship but everyone from the U.S. wants Sydney Harbour.

All Brisbane has is bad transport and a sewage plant at the cruise terminal.

11 minutes ago, CruisingOz said:

Hey @twangster do you have any pictures or comments on JS cabin 1100 on Brilliance of the Seas. It is an aft corner deck 10.

we are hoping we can convince Royal to move our aft corner Enchantment cabin 

Very popular JS.  Corner afts are great.  The one on the other side (1602) tends to have more noise complaints from above but 1100 less so, not sure why.  I was just in 9256 right below 1100 for Alaska on Serenade.  Love this location.  9256 is not a JS. 

Right above 1100 is WJ outdoor seating so there is potential for those people that drag chairs but it's not a pathway for food carts so...  YMMV.  The general consensus seems to be the risk of an occasional chair dragger is worth it given the corner aft sweeping views.  

On 7/29/2022 at 5:25 PM, Chili said:

Next will be Quantum,maybe not this season but next Australian season.

Brisbane seems to be unpopular compared to Sydney.

I thought the same thing. Even trying to give away theme park tickets to sweeten the deal. Must be desperate.

On 7/24/2022 at 8:23 AM, Chili said:

Adelaide in December,what cruise is that ? I’m on Ovation the 7th.

I wonder how olah is going?

Hopefully she and all her family are  ok . I am on the ovation cruise on the 7th Dec it stops in Adelaide ,still no excursions available304789894_Screenshot2022-08-06at13-23-22RoyalCaribbean.thumb.png.58e909423dbe5e73fb6edd83e54e1d4c.png

4 hours ago, Big Tule said:

Hopefully she and all her family are  ok . I am on the ovation cruise on the 7th Dec it stops in Adelaide ,still no excursions available304789894_Screenshot2022-08-06at13-23-22RoyalCaribbean.thumb.png.58e909423dbe5e73fb6edd83e54e1d4c.png

The Ukraine troupes will be getting good martini’s.

Hopefully we will do the handoff tour but it’s not available???

08F84797-D15D-4728-8FE3-ABB302072FBF.thumb.png.47820f79ad0aad65b88b72a565495d8a.png

Yep , see you both onboard.

Got email this morning with the Australian protocols - https://www.royalcaribbean.com/aus/en/the-healthy-sail-center?country=AUS

95% vaccination. 12 and over must be vaccinated although allowing medical exemptions. Pre cruise negative test "likely" although will be confirmed closer to sailing dates.

1 hour ago, ScottishRobbie said:

Got email this morning with the Australian protocols - https://www.royalcaribbean.com/aus/en/the-healthy-sail-center?country=AUS

95% vaccination. 12 and over must be vaccinated although allowing medical exemptions. Pre cruise negative test "likely" although will be confirmed closer to sailing dates.

I did a P&O out of Sydney a couple of months ago and it was a self administered RAT .

On boarding day they weren’t interested,they just wanted to see my credit card.
It will probably be the same.

7 hours ago, Chili said:

I did a P&O out of Sydney a couple of months ago and it was a self administered RAT .

Did you have to self administer the RAT at the port? (I can't imagine that not being the case... how else could they prove it was you that took the test unless proctored?

If it was a proctored test which service do use in Australia?

4 hours ago, EmersonNZ said:

Did you have to self administer the RAT at the port? (I can't imagine that not being the case... how else could they prove it was you that took the test unless proctored?

If it was a proctored test which service do use in Australia?

I couldn’t understand it at the time but it was and still is self administration.

That’s ,you do it yourself at home within 24 hours of embarking with a home test RAT.

I took a photo of the negative RAT on my phone just in case.
That shows time ,date but they didn’t care ???.
They wanted photo ID and a credit card and that’s it.

While they where recording our payment details they said read a card that asked if we had symptoms or tested positive in the last week or so.

AND that’s it ,here’s your paperwork and have a great time.

So basically a honesty system. You could quite easily ,not do one and they wouldn’t care.

One note ,it was only a 4 night cruise and a few people I know come back with Covid after the cruise. So a longer cruise it may be different as the incubation time onboard may make things different.

That's rather scary to tell the truth..... I would hope that if the Australian authorities require testing before a cruise they tighten up on that a little.

If they drop that requirement... fine (at least you sail knowing that is the case which allows you to do your own risk assessment knowing that), but if you have it at least have a procedure in place that makes sure there is some validity in it (and yes, you can test negative today but still bring it on board... at least that is unknown though not potentially knowingly). 

Be interesting to see how it plays out.

7 hours ago, EmersonNZ said:

That's rather scary to tell the truth..... I would hope that if the Australian authorities require testing before a cruise they tighten up on that a little.

If they drop that requirement... fine (at least you sail knowing that is the case which allows you to do your own risk assessment knowing that), but if you have it at least have a procedure in place that makes sure there is some validity in it (and yes, you can test negative today but still bring it on board... at least that is unknown though not potentially knowingly). 

I don’t think the cruise lines are setting the standards it’s N.S.W health .

Yep ,let’s see what happens but I think our governments here are just going to let it rip.   I suppose that was the plan to vaccinate everyone and live with it just like the seasonal flu.

8 hours ago, EmersonNZ said:

I'm on P&O soon, self administered RAT test is all that is required. As you can imagine some people will not be honest so be wary you may be travelling with covid positive passengers.

13 minutes ago, mattymay said:

I'm on P&O soon, self administered RAT test is all that is required. As you can imagine some people will not be honest so be wary you may be travelling with covid positive passengers.

Book your restaurants for every night as soon as you get onboard otherwise you will be hungry. The food is woeful.

On 7/29/2022 at 8:48 PM, twangster said:

Summoning @Pippa_OceanTime who works at the Brisbane terminal.  

There’s a thread going on CC’s ANZ forum about Brisbane cruise terminal.

There’s no hotels near the terminal and very little transport.

Some one said the cheapest transport was to get there is to walk to a public bus stop about 30-40 minutes walk.
Carnival group has a shuttle to the airport for $40 but it’s booked out.

Bring on Cairns as Queensland’s premier cruise port.

Radiance class year round,direct flights from Asia and the west coast U.S.A. 

15 minutes ago, mattymay said:

It's good if you fly into Brisbane the same day.

Both you and I would have to fly.

I would rather stay on the plane for a bit more and go to Cairns.

We flew to Cairns about a month ago. When the plane levelled off the pilot said we will be landing in a hour and a half.We had some lunch a couple off beers and we where there.
Lovely town,Heaps of transport,taxi was $18 .

Cairns can take a 300 meter ship at the moment and should be dredged for Quantum class in the near future.

15 hours ago, CruisingOz said:

Have you heard anything about a restriction on the size or capacity for ships visiting Lifou,Mare and isle of pines?

There was a unfounded rumour getting around and Quantum class don’t seem to be going there.

11 minutes ago, Chili said:

Lifou,Mare and isle of pines?

There was a unfounded rumour getting around and Quantum class don’t seem to be going there.

They maybe too large. The economy and infrastructure is way too small to handle the larger ships and struggle with Voyager class. Also they are all tender ports and I know in the Isle Of Pines, the Voyager & Explorer draft only just strapped in, and Lifou is not much deeper. 

These islands are just okay with the capacity of a Radiance class.    

6 hours ago, Chili said:

Have you heard anything about a restriction on the size or capacity for ships visiting Lifou,Mare and isle of pines?

The same reason we are a long way off Oasis or Icon class, nowhere for it to go. Even 2 Quantum's seems like too much. Every second ad on Facebook is for Quantum out of Brisbane, they are really pushing it hard.

I think the sweet spot was 1 Quantum class, 1 Voyager class, 1 Radiance class.

48 minutes ago, F1guynz said:

My sweet sport would be 1 Quantum class, 1 Freedom class and 1 Radiance class.

Disclaimer: I really enjoyed Independence of the Seas in Europe.

Adventure in Brisbane,  Quantam /wonder with ovation in Sydney.

I don’t think we will see a quantum class in Brisbane after this season,  it’s just not selling. 
Get ready for Royal to try to fill Quantum , we only have 3 months and the ship is only half full.

3 hours ago, Chili said:

Adventure in Brisbane,  Quantam /wonder with ovation in Sydney.

I don’t think we will see a quantum class in Brisbane after this season,  it’s just not selling. 
Get ready for Royal to try to fill Quantum , we only have 3 months and the ship is only half full.

We are booked on Quantum next April in the RLS. Can't wait for that cruise, hopefully the Islands will be fully open by then. My parents are on Quantum in November. On our next cruise we are sailing on Ovation cruising to NZ (ironic after being locked up here in NZ for so long), it will just be nice to be back on the water.

We are on Quantum for my sisters 50th, 18th Nov, and the ship is nearly full. 

We will see a Royal ship home port out of Brisbane 12 months of the year. I have some insider knowledge that the logistics are being worked on and plans finalised. The port is not Sydney but it is only a short cab ride from the city and city centre, and unlike the Sydney OPT, it has far better infrastructure. Also, as it is closer to the South Pacific islands, it can do 8n Sth Pacific and 6 night Queensland itineraries. As for which ship, lets see.

19 minutes ago, CruisingOz said:

We are on Quantum for my sisters 50th, 18th Nov, and the ship is nearly full. 

We will see a Royal ship home port out of Brisbane 12 months of the year. I have some insider knowledge that the logistics are being worked on and plans finalised. The port is not Sydney but it is only a short cab ride from the city and city centre, and unlike the Sydney OPT, it has far better infrastructure. Also, as it is closer to the South Pacific islands, it can do 8n Sth Pacific and 6 night Queensland itineraries. As for which ship, lets see.

Inside information?

What kind of ship ? It would have to have something for the kids .
I presume from next season 

14 minutes ago, Chili said:

It would have to have something for the kids

If you look at the P&O and Carnival offerings for kids sailing from Brisbane, they are not really that great, so the Voyager with slides and a great kids club would be awesome. If it was a Quantum, then game changer, wins hands down. I think I recall in one of the Royal earnings calls that the larger ships like Quantum class are profitable at around 60% capacity. If that is the case then the out of school holiday travellers would certainly prefer the Royal option. 

If @Twangstar reads this, I am sure he/her will know more specific facts on the profitability.  

Yeah, the local shoreside company is working on the 2023/24 season start up however I think it will be 2024/25. I wish I was a fly on a wall in the Royal logistics office. 

22 minutes ago, CruisingOz said:

If you look at the P&O and Carnival offerings for kids sailing from Brisbane, they are not really that great, so the Voyager with slides and a great kids club would be awesome. If it was a Quantum, then game changer, wins hands down. I think I recall in one of the Royal earnings calls that the larger ships like Quantum class are profitable at around 60% capacity. If that is the case then the out of school holiday travellers would certainly prefer the Royal option. 

If @Twangstar reads this, I am sure he/her will know more specific facts on the profitability.  

Yeah, the local shoreside company is working on the 2023/24 season start up however I think it will be 2024/25. I wish I was a fly on a wall in the Royal logistics office. 

I think a voyager class and the only one that hasn’t been to the pacific is Adventure I believe.

A smaller ship possibly but they are valuable to get into smaller ports .

Voyager are sort of to big but then to old .

The writing on the wall for year round Royal cruises have an eye on Brisbane, not Sydney.  Quantum class makes sense for when some of those when, even from Brisbane, are on the chilly side in the Australian winter out at sea.  

Radiance class isn't a lead ship for a new emerging home port on a year round basis.  Quantum class would be.  Voyager class may be the right size in year one of year round cruising but they are warm weather ships best for summer cruises.  

Given how Navigator isn't selling well in LA the right size ship would have been Radiance class but isn't the way to make a big splash in an emerging market so they didn't put an old ship into LA for their return to the west coast.  I think they'll follow the same logic with Brisbane. 

The first year of the restart down under isn't the proper measure of success.  She'll get a pass for the restart.