Australia/NZ Cruising News

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Not sure what's up with OV unless she is just trying to move away for a few days to avoid elevated sea conditions moving in by Monday night (Monday night in the US 😉)

IMG_1927.thumb.jpg.990fbca4dfffb45381a43ced823844af.jpgIMG_1928.thumb.jpg.3eae515b23d417706c4b90f1261cf3f7.jpg

I could be getting away from bad weather,a ship like that couldn’t cope with ice buildup.

Hey Twangster if it does come to Sydney there could be a trans-pacific in March????

5 minutes ago, Chili said:

I could be getting away from bad weather,a ship like that couldn’t cope with ice buildup.

Hey Twangster if it does come to Sydney there could be a trans-pacific in March????

The ship can survive much worst sea conditions but why risk breaking glass and causing even some crew to become sick.  It's not like they are required to stick around near Seattle.  I think it was NCL that said to Florida... our ships have propellers, we can take them anywhere we want.  If bad weather is moving in, move the ships away.  

Having said that, the promise or suggestion that cruising could restart by Christmas does give one hope that Ovation may be trying to gain enough momentum to break away from the gravitational pull of the CDC and launch itself down under.  

34 minutes ago, twangster said:

The ship can survive much worst sea conditions but why risk breaking glass and causing even some crew to become sick.  It's not like they are required to stick around near Seattle.  I think it was NCL that said to Florida... our ships have propellers, we can take them anywhere we want.  If bad weather is moving in, move the ships away.  

Having said that, the promise or suggestion that cruising could restart by Christmas does give one hope that Ovation may be trying to gain enough momentum to break away from the gravitational pull of the CDC and launch itself down under.  

I can’t see cruises happening by Christmas unless they have been working behind the scenes.There’s provisions,staff for the Dock and what about bookings?

But I was just watching our minister for health on TV saying we will find out for sure within 2 weeks.

If we do get some ships do you think a revenue trans-pacific is possible in the eyes of the U.S. officials?

55 minutes ago, Chili said:

I can’t see cruises happening by Christmas unless they have been working behind the scenes.There’s provisions,staff for the Dock and what about bookings?

But I was just watching our minister for health on TV saying we will find out for sure within 2 weeks.

If we do get some ships do you think a revenue trans-pacific is possible in the eyes of the U.S. officials?

The CDC allowed inbound transatlantics from Europe that arrived this past weekend so they shouldn't have any issues with an inbound transpacific next year unless something changes.

I’ve been a bit of a bad boy.

I emailed Michael Bayley begging for Radiance to come to Sydney for a few months early 2022.

I think what really hit a nerve was when I said you don’t want your crown & anchor members to go on a carnival Australia cruise do you.

Gavin Smith of RC Asia pacific replied.

He seemed a little annoyed but said he is in final discussion with Australian government and the will be bringing a ship Early-mid 2022.

And noted he isn’t sure but there’s possibly a couple of ships .

13 minutes ago, CruisingOz said:

Interesting, in yesterday's RCB podcast 431, Matt interviewed a Royal head and mentioned Lelepa should be due 2024. 

So that’s 2 years time ,it would only be a start and would be a ongoing build.

It is supposed to be something special and we can probably expect a oasis for 2024.

And I’ll bet a smaller ship based in cairns,Rhapsody has a few bookings about then.

Something to look forward to.

On 11/18/2021 at 11:15 AM, Chili said:

He seemed a little annoyed but said he is in final discussion with Australian government and the will be bringing a ship Early-mid 2022.

And noted he isn’t sure but there’s possibly a couple of ships .

Before COVID started the Sydney cruise ship schedule used to show an 'unnamed' Royal Caribbean ship in May/Jun of 2022, well past April when they usually leave. 

I believe their plan back then was to leave Quantum of the Seas here full time, as Carnival was also doing with Splendor. Given we would be going into winter a Quantum class would make sense.

Here is the screenshot I took early 2019. Of course all this changed once COVID hit.

image.png.eb8f072210521523d69c9a7912fd38d6.png

3 hours ago, mattymay said:

Before COVID started the Sydney cruise ship schedule used to show an 'unnamed' Royal Caribbean ship in May/Jun of 2022, well past April when they usually leave. 

I believe their plan back then was to leave Quantum of the Seas here full time, as Carnival was also doing with Splendor. Given we would be going into winter a Quantum class would make sense.

Here is the screenshot I took early 2019. Of course all this changed once COVID hit.

image.png.eb8f072210521523d69c9a7912fd38d6.png

Interesting,

With Lelepa,I doubt they will have it doing nothing for 6 months of the year.

The money invested just sitting there from May to September getting no return,I don’t think so.

There been talk for a while of ships here for people to escape the increasingly hot northern summer.
I think Brisbane would be more viable and a smaller ship in cairns during our winter doing cruises to the islands and Lelepa.

I was watching one of those cruise news videos and they said Lelepa will be open the end of 2022??

I can’t see it but maybe with very limited development.Maybe using tenders and set up like mystery island. That could be done in a year.
Some grass huts ,bars and some bungalows on the bay.That would work for a season.

5 hours ago, mattymay said:

1st of FEB! Cruising is back. But only for NSW residents, and only in NSW waters

Whoo, it is a start. Now all I need is Royal to announce sailing in March and April as I will need a holiday after all the cruisers I am taking in the US, and a ship like Radiance going nowhere is perfect. Sitting around the Solarium pool all day, bar, Park Cafe, day beds. Oh yes please 

45 minutes ago, Chili said:

Good news .

Im hoping we get a Radiance class year round.
I don’t want to have to go on a carnival ship. What a disgusting thought,it just runs shivers up my spine.

I saw some very attractive deals from Carnival for their 2023/24 season. Then I Youtubed their ships (Splendour and Spirit). Vomit!

3 hours ago, mattymay said:

I can confirm that cruising out of Singapore is a terrific experience. Travelling from Perth, it's just as easy for me to get to as Sydney. Be sure to spend a few nights pre or post-cruise in Singapore, there's plenty to check out.

oh yes. I love Singapore and well worth pre/post cruise time. Chilly crab, yummy.

Also, I should have posted it here as it relates to Aussies but I started a post after checking in for our first cruise in the discussions area

Australian's Taking US Cruises and Checking In 

With Lelepa supposed to be open by 2024  , There would have to be a ship year round to service the island.

I’m thinking a small ship like Enchantment in Auckland during our summer and cairns or Brisbane during our winter.

Auckland would be a good home port ,it’s closer than Sydney to Lelepa and about 3 hours less flying time from the U.S.

32 minutes ago, CruisingOz said:

Radiance is schedued for The Australian 2022 season along with Ovation and Quantum but I doubt we will see her earlier. It would be awesome to have a Royal ship based in Sydney year around like P&O and Carnival and Radiance would be perfect, my us at least, we love her. 

I don’t think Radiance has anything before April when it supposed to go to Alaska .

They could pull it out of Alaska and do a winter in Sydney. Alaska probably has a over supply in these current times and they could do the ground work for a full 2022-2023 season in Australia.

Its scheduled in Gibraltar today,let’s see what direction it goes after Gibraltar.

If it goes to the Suez or Panama. If it goes to the Panama it’s going to Alaska.    The Suez, Sydney maybe??

20 minutes ago, Chili said:

I don’t think Radiance has anything before April when it supposed to go to Alaska .

They could pull it out of Alaska and do a winter in Sydney. Alaska probably has a over supply in these current times and they could do the ground work for a full 2022-2023 season in Australia.

Its scheduled in Gibraltar today,let’s see what direction it goes after Gibraltar.

If it goes to the Suez or Panama. If it goes to the Panama it’s going to Alaska.    The Suez, Sydney maybe??

Or Suez to swing through Asia, hang out there like she was and eventually pick up crew as her restart gets closer.  

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

Or Suez to swing through Asia, hang out there like she was and eventually pick up crew as her restart gets closer.  

Our cruise ban officially runs out next Friday, let’s see.

It will probably go through the Suez Canal anyway,Navigator did.

6 minutes ago, Chili said:

Our cruise ban officially runs out next Friday, let’s see.

It will probably go through the Suez Canal anyway,Navigator did.

Voyager class can't use the Panama Canal.  Next best choice is the Suez. 

Have all states got on board with the cruise ban ending?  Can international crew transit to and from ships now? 

12 minutes ago, twangster said:

Have all states got on board with the cruise ban ending?  Can international crew transit to and from ships now? 

No, only NSW (Sydney) who initially said the 1st of Feb. There has been no news since, other than P&O and Carnival cancelling out further into March  still claiming lack of information from the government regarding a restart.

44 minutes ago, twangster said:

Voyager class can't use the Panama Canal.  Next best choice is the Suez. 

There was speculation Navigator my have gone around the bottom of South America but it went the long way.

I believe NSW is leading the push with Victoria close behind.Queensland was one but I’m not sure they are getting their act together with the vaccines.

The federal government is staying with it’s plans for opening up all international travel,including none citizens.

Im not sure of the date but wasn’t it next week?  I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

There is a good 'sale' on at the moment on the Aus website, just saved $800 on one cabin and $1400 on another by re-pricing a 22/23 Ovation booking I made in September. Check it out, you might save some cash. 

EDIT: Also $2200 on Quantum booking for Alaska 2023 which I booked last week.

What an over reaction to a variant health officials actually want people to catch to build herd immunity as the effects are no worse than the common flu. The Prime Minister was on local radio this afternoon saying Governments need to get out of peoples lives and we need to learn to live with Covid and borders should be opened. 

Okay, rant over, I know that Matt H. hate when the focus on the topic moves away from cruising.

Sad day for travellers. I was talking to my TA two days ago about how she was taking bookings for March on P&O and I said to her, she should simply try to extend the deposit period instead of taking money, as our worst fears are now reality.

We will not see Royal until October. If you have the means, Singapore is the go, great country and the cruises look like nice destinations.   

30 minutes ago, CruisingOz said:

What an over reaction to a variant health officials actually want people to catch to build herd immunity as the effects are no worse than the common flu. The Prime Minister was on local radio this afternoon saying Governments need to get out of peoples lives and we need to learn to live with Covid and borders should be opened. 

Okay, rant over, I know that Matt H. hate when the focus on the topic moves away from cruising.

Sad day for travellers. I was talking to my TA two days ago about how she was taking bookings for March on P&O and I said to her, she should simply try to extend the deposit period instead of taking money, as our worst fears are now reality.

We will not see Royal until October. If you have the means, Singapore is the go, great country and the cruises look like nice destinations.   

Yeh ,weren’t we supposed to start living with this virus.
The pore old agents are working for nothing ,you have to feel for them.