Those who have rebooked often: refundable vs non-refundable rates

I've seen folks mention in several places (not just here) about rebooking to upgrade or change rooms. Are you doing this with refundable deposit rate rooms or...? I've always gone with non-refundable rates to save on the costs, but involving non-family in plans is difficult because of less incentive to commit (especially for those who haven't cruised before - weirdos), and so I'm wondering if going with a refundable deposit rate might be a better idea, if we wind up changing out who goes, or which room folks would stay in.

Is there any benefit to the refundable deposit rate other than just "I had to cancel the whole thing, so this won't cost me anything out of pocket" or are there other circumstances under which is would help?

The price difference between refundable and NRD can be all over the place.  I've seen the increase be from $0 to over $2,000 just to make a cruise refundable.

Interior and OV cabins often have small difference while balcony and JS suites can be a higher fee to make it refundable.

Grand Suite and above are mostly not available refundable.  There are some exceptions but for the most part full suites are always NRD.

It never hurts to ask or look for the check box near the end of the booking process right before putting a deposit down on the Royal website.  

Keep in mind that the type of deposit is only relevant prior to making final payment.  Once you reach final payment due date and you pay for the cruise in full, at that point standard cancellation terms apply regardless if you had a refundable or non-refundable deposit.  

You can convert a refundable rate to non-refundable rate but not the other way around.  Often though cruise prices increase over time and when you convert it's done at prevailing rates on that day, not what the rates were when you originally booked.  For this reason it often doesn't make sense to convert from refundable to non-refundable.  

2 hours ago, HtownHolly said:

I'm wondering if going with a refundable deposit rate might be a better idea, if we wind up changing out who goes, or which room folks would stay in.

When it comes down to switching out names, you can make those changes without an issue with both nonrefundable and refundable deposits.  The only rule Royal has is that one of the originally booked passengers has to remain on the cruise.  You can swap out the names on the other passengers.  Any deposit money put down stays with the cruise booking.  

21 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

When it comes down to switching out names, you can make those changes without an issue with both nonrefundable and refundable deposits.  The only rule Royal has is that one of the originally booked passengers has to remain on the cruise.  You can swap out the names on the other passengers.  Any deposit money put down stays with the cruise booking.  

OK that is GREAT to know!

A strategy I use when another family is interested but not fully committed: 

I put one of my kids names down as second guest in the room of interested family.  If original family opts out another family can be added with my kids name staying on reservation and one of their kids being put in my room. 

Once on the ship, a simple trip to guest services can fix the Seapass card problem.

I also link the reservations so each family can check in their people and set accounts up correctly.

This strategy works great for the hard to get suites that I often book 2+ years out and recognize the difficulty in a commitment from a second family to travel with mine. 

I have yet to have this not work out. Worst case scenario is change name of first guest on second room and then pay the $100/person fee to move to a later date. 

If you put a member of your family in a different room to protect deposit, they will be on passenger manifest in that room for check in. Once in the ship, go to guest services (usually no line on embarkation) and ask for seapass to be changed so that it works for the room your family will be staying in. Other family will need to do the same assuming they have one of their children in your room. If kids are young enough to not need their cards then skip this. 

The ability to get two suites (or regular rooms, but then consider refundable) at release price and share a vacation with another family is worth potentially losing $100/person to move the second room deposits if you can’t find anyone to travel with. (Sad)

I only book refundable fares when the WHOLE family is going - and I am dropping $1500 for a deposit on a 7 day cruise. Overall it costs me generally around $100-200 more in my experience, but that is like insurance to me that if for some reason we can't go, I am not out that $1500. If it's just my husband and I on a 5-nighter, $200 deposit, no reason to pay the extra fare, and we just take the risk that we're out the $200 if we need to cancel. I rebook both fares all the time when I see a price change. There is no difference in your capability to do that. 

9 hours ago, HtownHolly said:

Thanks for this idea as well! However, what does the above mean? I don't quite follow.

RE: The Seapass card problem

Basically if you book someone in a different room than the one you want them to actually stay in, you can go to Guest Services and get a room key that gives access to the room they will be staying in. 

This can be helpful if you are doing something such as booking a four person family in two rooms and you officially book it as one child, one adult in each room.  You want the kids to have their own room, but splitting up the adults on the booking between the two rooms will allow one adult to purchase the alcohol drink package without the requirement of the other adult to purchase it (rule is all adults have to purchase the alcohol drink package).  When you get on board you can just get the extra room keys and switch up the sleeping arrangements as necessary.

13 minutes ago, HtownHolly said:

Ah gotcha. I didn’t know that was possible. That’ll be handy because we wanted a room for just the kids on an upcoming sailing but obviously couldn’t book just kids in a room. Thanks!

Actually, you CAN book the kids in the their own room as long as you meet certain rules.  (Adjacent, or across the hall, or maybe 1 door down).  But there are pros and cons.  If you are booking 2 rooms of the same category, officially booking 1 adult, 1 child in each room is a way around the rule that if one adult in a room orders an alcohol drink package, then all adults in a room must order an alcohol drink package.  It also lets you effectively book the children in a room further away from you assuming you trust them.

However, if you are booking a suite and a non-suite room, remember that the suite benefits go to whoever is officially in the room.  Booking 1 adult, 1 child in each room probably doesn't make sense in that situation because the second adult would sleep in the suite but get no other suite benefits.

• 1 month later...

I've booked a NRD for 11 night NZ then the 17 night TP a couple of weeks ago.

I'd now like to change to them to Refundable.  Can I do it? Cancel with the 'Cruise with Confidence"? the re book or just ask for them to become Refundable?

Many thanks

On 4/23/2021 at 8:03 AM, AlmondFarmer said:

If you put a member of your family in a different room to protect deposit, they will be on passenger manifest in that room for check in. Once in the ship, go to guest services (usually no line on embarkation) and ask for seapass to be changed so that it works for the room your family will be staying in. Other family will need to do the same assuming they have one of their children in your room. If kids are young enough to not need their cards then skip this. 

The ability to get two suites (or regular rooms, but then consider refundable) at release price and share a vacation with another family is worth potentially losing $100/person to move the second room deposits if you can’t find anyone to travel with. (Sad)

This is also a great way to beat the Drink Package rule that if one person in the cabin gets the package everyone must. The only downside is you might like us end up in different muster stations. No biggie but something to consider.