Senate Democrats Torpedoed the Cruise Line Industry, Block Cruise Act

Full quote of the objection

SEN. MURRAY: Madam President, reserving the right to object. I understand the position of my colleagues from Alaska and Florida who want to see a return to cruising by July 4. I'm there with them. The cruise industry in my home state supports over 5,500 jobs and creates $900 million in annual local business revenue. Those jobs and that impact on the local economy have been severely disrupted. But we have to ensure the safety of our friends and our families on these cruises before they disembark. We have seen firsthand how devastating COVID outbreaks on cruise ships can be. 

Just last year, we saw thousands of passengers stranded on cruise ships, people put in quarantine, or refused entry to ports as borders closed. Over 31 million Americans have contracted COVID and 560,000 have died from this disease. Cruise ships require specific focus and protocols in place to prevent future outbreaks. While I am as eager as anyone else to see a return to travel, we cannot cut corners. Doing so risks lives and will only further delay returning to normal, hurting our economy more in the long run. 

We must trust the science and we must allow the CDC to continue its work to help us return to what we love as safely as possible. So I will continue to work with CDC and the administration as they develop the next phase of their cruising guidance, but for now, I object.

55 minutes ago, CGTLH said:

SEN. MURRAY: Madam President, reserving the right to object. I understand the position of my colleagues from Alaska and Florida who want to see a return to cruising by July 4. I'm there with them. The cruise industry in my home state supports over 5,500 jobs and creates $900 million in annual local business revenue. Those jobs and that impact on the local economy have been severely disrupted. But we have to ensure the safety of our friends and our families on these cruises before they disembark. We have seen firsthand how devastating COVID outbreaks on cruise ships can be. 

Just last year, we saw thousands of passengers stranded on cruise ships, people put in quarantine, or refused entry to ports as borders closed. Over 31 million Americans have contracted COVID and 560,000 have died from this disease. Cruise ships require specific focus and protocols in place to prevent future outbreaks. While I am as eager as anyone else to see a return to travel, we cannot cut corners. Doing so risks lives and will only further delay returning to normal, hurting our economy more in the long run. 

We must trust the science and we must allow the CDC to continue its work to help us return to what we love as safely as possible. So I will continue to work with CDC and the administration as they develop the next phase of their cruising guidance, but for now, I object.

I'm sorry but that is an uninformed objection ignoring the data AND science from the Cruises that have taken place since the pandemic started. Using last year as an example, ignores the major game changer, namely the vaccine. Sen Murray shows he does not trust the science as of April 2021. This is about more than just people taking a cruise but more so the economic damage it continues to cause the unemployed cruise adjacent workers. 

I just read through and in a few places I see "dems have torpedoed". I do not see specifics nor a vote count. I do see that some raised objections and that nothing is settled  yet?  These "sky is falling" articles are a dime a dozen...  Lets wait til a formal negotiation and vote. Right now despite the title the last line says a lot more. "it seems that Republicans and Democrats have not yet reached an agreement on whether or not the cruise industry should resume operation."

10 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Ugh..using the same narrative as back in 2020 as if things haven't changed with respect to what we know and understand about the virus.  If they equally applied this across all industries nothing would have reopened.

That was my thought exactly. It seems to me, and this is completely my opinion and backed by no real fact, but it seems to me that the only thing that will get this moving is after the summer sailings originating elsewhere, the US realizes how much revenue they missed out on and nothing happened on these sailings...THEN they'll drag their feet a little less slowly and want to fill their own coffers again. So frustrating. 

Ok, Senator Murray just got an earful from me. https://www.murray.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/mobile/contactme?p=ContactMe who's next?  I simply pointed out that her assessment is well behind the times and doesn't take into account the steps the lines have taken to ensure safety.  I'm on the warpath and you should be too. Enough of this %^&*.... I do use firm language but always respectful when dealing with the elected. Its important for all of us , that they work for us. Not the other way around. When they do a bad job they need to be leaned on... 

I have read now two "headlines" stating this is dead. We have one senator who filed an objection but several more that advanced it. Then we have the separate bill from the  house that is being worked on. This does not kill this one. It means it doesn't just sail through without some,  what promises to be colorful  debate... The house one will no doubt be the same way... 

2 hours ago, UNCFanatik said:

https://floridianpress.com/2021/04/senate-democrats-torpedoed-the-cruise-line-industry-block-cruise-act/

I didnt think the CRUISE act had a chance of passing but just shows where attitudes are with cruise resuming in summer in July

Gosh you’d think the Senator from Washington State would be eager to get Seattle revenue since it’s been burning for a year ?

I just wrote and sent an e-mail to our senator, Tim Scott, asking him for his vocal support for the cruise industry.

Getting ready to send one to Lindsey Graham.

This crap has gotten way out of hand, and I'm sick of it.  These politicians like Murray, are absolutely ignorant to this subject.  It's obvious when they 

continue to refer to the Diamond Princess and data that is a year old.   Sensationalist media again raises it's ugly head.

15 hours ago, CGTLH said:

#@$$%$%^^#$

Edited to avoid Matt having to remind me not to make bad comments ... sorry Matt.

11 hours ago, Floski said:

I just wrote and sent an e-mail to our senator, Tim Scott, asking him for his vocal support for the cruise industry.

Getting ready to send one to Lindsey Graham.

This crap has gotten way out of hand, and I'm sick of it.  These politicians like Murray, are absolutely ignorant to this subject.  It's obvious when they 

continue to refer to the Diamond Princess and data that is a year old.   Sensationalist media again raises it's ugly head.

I also wrote Scott and Graham.....and Ralph Norman (our representative). 

I think if cruising starts successfully from ports outside the US and folks stop begging a “stubborn child” (CDC) things might improve.  Politicians love to hear themselves talk and to argue points right into the ground regardless of the subject. It’s clear that very few in power give a crap about the cruise industry or the many people affected by their actions. It’s not just an industry of cruising customers but much much more.  I’m not sure the US is ready to loose the cruise industry completely so let’s show them we can cruise elsewhere and rock on. Their position and refusals is an attempt to show us who is in power here and control us like dumb sheep.  Sad part is by the time they decide, if ever, that cruising can restart in the US - that ship may have already sailed?‍♀️⚓️?