Medical & Emergencies

cwtom

I wanted to know if anyone has used the medical facilities on board the RC ships, particularly Allure of the Seas. I am wondering how equipped they are with dealing with emergency situations and how trained they are. Will I have access to meds if required? What happens in the event I need emergency surgery?

Most ships have a qualified medical professionals aboard...but you must remember you are not at Mayo or the Cleveland Clinic.  If your condition is that "critical" maybe you should reconsider your trip ....you will be in the middle of the ocean and any Captain will not be able to return to a US port at a moment's notice.  

I wouldn't say my situation is critical but I recently had a gallbladder attack. No infection so I didn't need emergency surgery. But wondering what happens if i have another attack. Gallbladder surgery is elective unless it gets infected.

My wife is a Surgical Nurse Manager at a large hospital.  2 years ago we were on the Allure.  She requested and was given a tour of their medical facilities by the Medical Director.  At that time they traveled with 3 doctors and 7 nurses.  One surgical, one emergency and one general practitioner.  They do have a OR but only to preform procedures that don't require a general anesthetic.  Only locals and blocks.  If I remember correctly, they had multiple treatment rooms as well as patient rooms.  They also had a well stocked pharmacy.  Bare in mind medical facilities on ships are there primarily to serve the crew's day-to-day needs and passengers who have medical issues that arise while on vacation (think Doc in the Box).  As a passenger it is not cheap to use medical services (one good reason to purchase cruise insurance).    

You would be wise to get the insurance package offered as  you will be in foreign countries.   And if you are not in port you might have to be airlifted.  It would also be wise to check on your current medical insurance to see whats covered out of the country.  

I had gallbladder attacks for months until I finally said enough and had them take it out. They started only lasting 10 minutes and moved up to days. How long do your attacks last? Does anything help them?

Interestingly enough, I had a kidney stone on my honeymoon cruise on Disney. They had enough pain relievers to get me through the cruise (I never even saw the doctor). I knew what was happening as we were driving to the port, but I figured I could either be miserable at home or miserable on a cruise ship. I took the ship.

You also want to remember that the food on the cruise ship will more than likely be fattier than what you are used to eating. This could trigger the attacks more often. I definitely second the trip insurance that covers medical transportation home. That could run 25k plus without.

You might want to check out the Hulda Clark gallbladder flush too

My most recent attack lasted several hours (about 6 hours) and painful enough for me to take a trip to the ER. I don't get them often and when I do I can sleep through it. I am still waiting to be seen by a surgeon to get it removed. I am mostly concerned if it gets infected and I need surgery immediately. My travel insurance provides full coverage so I have no concerns there.

My most recent attack lasted several hours (about 6 hours) and painful enough for me to take a trip to the ER. I don't get them often and when I do I can sleep through it. I am still waiting to be seen by a surgeon to get it removed. I am mostly concerned if it gets infected and I need surgery immediately. My travel insurance provides full coverage so I have no concerns there.

Speaking as someone who feels completely safe cruising, and who spent a good portion of my life as a paramedic and EMS protocol instructor, I'd have to lean on this being something that is really based on your doctor's recommendation.  Only your doctor can help you decide the heart of this, which is heavily dependent on:

1) How long after noticing symptoms would you need surgical care?

2) What are the consequences of a delay?

3) What the is likelihood of in issue arising at all?

Also, know that trip insurance does have exceptions for pre-existing conditions.  How that might apply to this situation is also not something I can speak to, but is certainly a consideration.

Make sure to get a good trip insurance policy that covers medical evacuation and get the extra coverage for hospital of choice. I have been told by my TA that the medical staff is there for the cruise staff and for passenger medical emergencies. They will not set broken bones, they will stabilize the broken bone and get you off the ship. The same can be said for heart problems, gall bladder problems, etc., they will make you comfortable and get you off the ship. They do have a good stock of basic drugs, but don't expect that you can sail and find your Fentanyl patch onboard, they don't carry it. 

While in the elevator, on a cruise, a passenger in a scooter rode in and hit me and ripped off a large layer of skin on my arm. I started bleeding every where and was immediately taken by staff to the Medical Facility because of anyone coming in contact with my blood. The doctor said it was really a minor wound but because my skin is so thin I bleed alot, so they lightly bandaged the arm and I had to go back two times a day for three days to have it rebandaged. RCCL didn't charge me for this.

If you are found to have a contagious disease you will be quaranteened. You will not be allowed to leave your cabin, happened to a friend of mine, they thought she had norovirus but just had a reaction to a certain food, but she was stuck in her cabin for two days.

I would ask my doctor if it is a good idea for you to travel at this time. I had to cancel 5 cruises because of surgery, it was disappointing but better than getting stuck in a strange country with no choice of medical care.

Candie

We had to take our son to medical in June while aboard Anthem. We called down, of course it was after hours, and they quoted us $180 for "after hours". He was triaged by an RN and then the doctor saw him. They were able to prescribe and provide antibiotics for an infection in his leg. When we actually got the bill on our account, it was $156. When we got home, my husband submitted it to our insurance and they wrote us a check for $118.

We were pleased with the service. Someone was down there getting a broken arm set. At our next port, someone was being taken off the ship and loaded onto an ambulance in St. Maarten.

packercruising,

According to my TA if you have a medical emergency on an airplane, it depends on what the emergency is. If the passenger is experiencing a life or death emergency, i.e. heart attack, storke, the pilot radios the tower and they will get all the information and find out what needs to be done. If it is a heart attack or stroke, usually the plane will be diverted to the closest airport for an ambulance to meet it and take the passenger to the nearest medical facility. If it is a medical emergency, such as a gall bladder attack, they will try to keep the passenger calm, pilot will notify the tower and have an ambulance waiting at the airport where you are suppose to land. If it is a communicable disease, Zika, Novovirus, etc., the passenger is usually confined to a small area in the back of the plane, all passengers are allowed to get off and the sick passenger will have a Paramedic assess them, then transport to the hospital.

The only reason I know this is I was on a plane where a medical emergency occurred and I couldn't see or hear what was going on, so as soon as I got home I asked my TA to find out what the airline does. See called American and found out for me.

Candie

Friend of ours passed out in the theater generating an Alpha call.  Never got the whole story as to why he passes out but they kept him overnight for observation.  His bill was over 3K with the Alpha call itemized at $600.  He didn't have trip insurance but did get some of it back through his VA insurance.  One thing we do now is buy travel guard insurance right after booking.  It's a little more than the cruise line's but covers pre-existing conditions and has way more medical and evac coverage.

packercruising,

According to my TA if you have a medical emergency on an airplane, it depends on what the emergency is. If the passenger is experiencing a life or death emergency, i.e. heart attack, storke, the pilot radios the tower and they will get all the information and find out what needs to be done. If it is a heart attack or stroke, usually the plane will be diverted to the closest airport for an ambulance to meet it and take the passenger to the nearest medical facility. If it is a medical emergency, such as a gall bladder attack, they will try to keep the passenger calm, pilot will notify the tower and have an ambulance waiting at the airport where you are suppose to land. If it is a communicable disease, Zika, Novovirus, etc., the passenger is usually confined to a small area in the back of the plane, all passengers are allowed to get off and the sick passenger will have a Paramedic assess them, then transport to the hospital.

The only reason I know this is I was on a plane where a medical emergency occurred and I couldn't see or hear what was going on, so as soon as I got home I asked my TA to find out what the airline does. See called American and found out for me.

Candie

Thanks for that info! We cancelled a cruise with an overseas flight,because shortly before the final payment was due, my wife had heart palpitations. They never pinned down the cause and they stopped after awhile. We wondered what might happen at 40,000 feet over the Atlantic.

Thanks everyone for all the information - very much appreciated. I should mention that I reside in Toronto, Canada and our health coverage is outstanding. We have extensive coverage provided through our employers in addition to government coverage, so costs/payments are not an issue here. 

Very comforting to know that RC has well-equipped medical staff/services to deal with emergencies. 

• 2 weeks later...

During our first cruise this year which was on the Anthem of the Seas my wife hit her head on on of the handrails around the sun deck whilst getting up from the lounger and needed medical attention. This resulted in her getting 7 stitches to her head. The medical staff on board were great and stated that they are not part of RCCL but a private company providing medical care. The service provided by all involved was top class and there was no charge for her treatment. We would have been covered on our insurance if required. The ting that worried her the most was when they suggested that she may have had to go ashore for a scan a the wound was very deep but luckily that was not needed.

packercruiser,

Sorry to hear about your wife but I wouldn't have chanced being on a very long flight over the ocean where there is no place to go if she had an emergency. I always think of that when I am flying. You are pretty much crammed into a tin can with no room and if you got sick, what do you do?

I just got off of a cruise two days ago and while in port, I passed out from the heat and humidity, pretty much in front of the ship. When I opened my eyes I had passengers, cruise staff, all sorts of people. All I wanted to do was get up and go back to my room. The staff argued with me and finally put me in a wheelchair (embarrassing) and took me to the medical facility on ship. My BP was high but they said it was because of passing out. They let me go back to my room with the warning that all of the coming ports were as hot or hotter than this one and I might think about staying on the ship. I wasn't charged a penny for this and I actually feel that I should call them and ask them for a bill. They provided great service to me. It was strange weather, the day before I was on an excursion and two people I got to know on the cruise, his wife passed out on the tour bus. It was so hot and humid, almost 100 degrees every day.

Candie

Thanks for that info! We cancelled a cruise with an overseas flight,because shortly before the final payment was due, my wife had heart palpitations. They never pinned down the cause and they stopped after awhile. We wondered what might happen at 40,000 feet over the Atlantic.

I can tell you what would happen if that was me 40,000 feet above the Atlantic..My wife would have told them to shove me out the door I have a cruise to go on!

I am glad that everyone is alright.  What I see a lot of on cruises are  people  that don" stay properly hydrated.   When you feel thirsty it"s too late.   As crazy as this seems people on Alaskan cruises become dehydrated as well.  Warm weather cruises are much worse.    On cruising days for each cocktail a glass of water is recommended.   I am not a Dr. but have experienced dehydration the hard way and would not wish that upon anyone.  It is not a good thing to remember about your cruise.  And above all DON"T stay thirsty my friends.  I know that was corny but most importantly enjoy cruising.  

During our recent cruise on a non-RCI ship, our son was experiencing some troubling symptoms after boarding. We ended up calling medical support to come get him during the muster drill.

They examined him thoroughly (blood work, X-rays, etc.), and determined that he was severely dehydrated and he probably had an infection. They gave him lots of IV fluids and also IV antibiotics. He was there for a few hours, and then went back after dinner, staying overnight.

They billed us about $5,000 for all of that! Ouch! We have travel insurance, with medical coverage as "primary", so we're filing a claim with them. However, the report from the medical center onboard did list one of his conditions which is likely to be flagged as a pre-existing conditions, so I'm expecting them to deny at least part of the claim, if not the whole thing. We'll then take it up with our medical insurance and see what they'll cover.

Marc, I am glad your son is doing well, but I know how scary that can be.

Raye, Nothing keeps me down. As has been mentioned in this post, I don't drink water, I hate water, so staying hydrated is a problem for me. Now give me good old Texas Iced Sweet Tea or Pepsi and I can make it disappear.

Packercruising, I want to do two European cruises, so I am trying to get them booked for 2018, so far no one has their 2018 schedule up yet. I want to do a Baltic and a Transatlantic. Hoping I stay good and healthy.

Candie