For anyone planning on flying through Newark in the near future...

So, I'm well aware that the potential of summer cruises leaving from Bayonne is very much up in the air, this could pertain to many people in the community whether or not we are cruising.  Newark is shutting down runway 4R-22L from early July through October for repaving, refurbishment and upgrades.  That is EWR's main runway and handles almost half of the traffic for the entire airport.  There will be numerous flights cancelled going in, and you can probably count on significant delays and general unpleasantness for the flights that do remain on the schedule.  Just a heads-up to think about when planning any summer/fall travel to the NY Metro area...

https://simpleflying.com/newark-landing-runway-refurbishment/

46 minutes ago, nate91 said:

Man, if only there had been a recent period of severely decreased travel during which time runway work would have been ideal! If only...

The time frame was moved up, originally construction wasn't supposed to begin until summer of 2022, the last time this runway was overhauled was in 2012.  Even though last summer would have been ideal,  it is more than just a repaving project.  They are also improving the runway shoulders, widening and improving the runway intersections, replacing all of the electrical infrastructure, which includes all wiring and all new lights for the runway, and the adjacent and intersecting taxiways.  Also that all new electrical infrastructure also includes some updates to very critical safety systems that communicated crucial information directly with arriving aircraft.  Pilots need this information to help them land a plane safely during inclement weather and low visibility. 

Luckily they managed to move this entire project forward one year.  Trying to move it forward by two years to summer of 2020 was 100% impossible, especially when no one anticipated COVID's impact on travel.

2 hours ago, USCG Teacher said:

So, I'm well aware that the potential of summer cruises leaving from Bayonne is very much up in the air, this could pertain to many people in the community whether or not we are cruising.  Newark is shutting down runway 4R-22L from early July through October for repaving, refurbishment and upgrades.  That is EWR's main runway and handles almost half of the traffic for the entire airport.  There will be numerous flights cancelled going in, and you can probably count on significant delays and general unpleasantness for the flights that do remain on the schedule.  Just a heads-up to think about when planning any summer/fall travel to the NY Metro area...

https://simpleflying.com/newark-landing-runway-refurbishment/

Hey. I live in NY and with the other 3 air ports this will not cause that big delays overall. JFK and LaGuardia are only about 45 min to an hour away (depending on traiffc)

14 hours ago, Jmccaffrey said:

Hey. I live in NY and with the other 3 air ports this will not cause that big delays overall. JFK and LaGuardia are only about 45 min to an hour away (depending on traiffc)

I hate dealing with JFK & LGA. Driving from Orange County NY, zipping into NJ for EWR is ideal. 

15 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

So no change?

A friend and I got into a discussion about EWR being famous for delays, etc. I said, I've NEVER had a noticeable flight delay from EWR and how it's my favorite of the "big three" ... mainly for its accessibility for me. The next flight I took out of EWR was delayed by 12 hours ... well played, well played LOL.

21 hours ago, Jill said:

So why can’t they use the parallel runway? 4L-22R?

They will, which is why they're losing roughly 47% capacity instead of closer to 94% if they lost them both. Typically 4R-22L is used for landings (it is the only runway that is Cat. III certified as I understand it) and 4L-22R is for departures.  Now, 4L will handle just about all of the traffic, except for the crosswind runway.  The controllers are going to have their hands full.

21 hours ago, Jill said:

Who wants to fly into Newark anyways?

Couldn't agree more, one of my top 5 "avoid" airports.  Unfortunately, JFK & LGA are on that list, too. 

21 hours ago, Jill said:

So why can’t they use the parallel runway? 4L-22R? 

Who wants to fly into Newark anyways? ? Hey I’m a Jersey girl. I can say things like that. 

EWR only has 3 runways, an 11,000 foot long, a 10,000 foot long both of these are the parallel runways and a 6700 foot long cross wind runway which is basically useless because its so short. 

At an airport like EWR you have during the busy times of the day a plane landing every 90 seconds.  That interval is fine when the airport is using the other runway 22L-4R for departures. But when you have both departing and arriving aircraft sharing the same runway the interval between arriving aircraft will have to be increased to a minimum of 270 seconds this will allow the arriving aircraft to safely land and vacate the runway and a departing aircraft to enter the runway environment and takeoff all while maintaining a safe distance from the vacating aircraft but also the aircraft landing right behind it.  Going from a plane landing every 90 seconds to a plane landing every 270 or even every 360 seconds is what will cause the ripple effect (delays) which will at some point during the day will lead to cancellations because there is no way for airlines to make up that lost time.