Florida Governor Ron DeSantis says NO to Vaccine Requirement for Cruise Lines sailing from Florida Ports

1 hour ago, bretts173 said:

It is the choice of the person, just as cruising is the choice of the person. 

Yes both are choices that people make, however, a cruise is a business that is for people to utilize as a vacation, vaccine's are medial treatments for people to decided on their own. 

Business aren't the ones who think they can make these decisions for you!  If that was the case, they would have required many medial treatments or vaccine's that would elevate other types of sickness that could spread on a ships.

2 hours ago, Traveler said:

In other words , cruise from Florida will start only once enough people will got the vaccine to achieve herd immunity. 

Actually cruises will start 8-12 months after herd immunity is achieved.  The CDC runs on an 8 - 12 month delay so they will keep cruising shutdown well after the emergency is over.

1 hour ago, RBRSKI said:

Yes both are choices that people make, however, a cruise is a business that is for people to utilize as a vacation, vaccine's are medial treatments for people to decided on their own. 

Business aren't the ones who think they can make these decisions for you!  If that was the case, they would have required many medial treatments or vaccine's that would elevate other types of sickness that could spread on a ships.

Actually , cruise already ask you to declare about your health condition and suppose to prevent you from boarding if you suffered from several health issues few days before. 

12 minutes ago, twangster said:

Actually cruises will start 8-12 months after herd immunity is achieved.  The CDC runs on an 8 - 12 month delay so they will keep cruising shutdown well after the emergency is over.

Right , but in that scenario there wouldn't be major cruise companies to start and cruise from the US ... Maybe under new owners.

34 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

What is the issue with vaccine passports?   Don't the cruise lines have a lot of information about you already - name, address, DOB, passport/DL number?  What is one more information to add to that list?

A vaccine passport is a centralized database of everyone's vaccination status compiled without consent of the individual that 3rd parties can access whenever they want.

RC stores info you willingly and voluntarily give them.

8 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

A vaccine passport is a centralized database of everyone's vaccination status compiled without consent of the individual that 3rd parties can access whenever they want.

RC stores info you willingly and voluntarily give them.

I get that.  But what is the problem with making one's vaccination known?  Is this a can of worms/Pandora's box type of situation?

11 hours ago, Jmccaffrey said:

With all due respect for Governor he has no power over the Cruise Lines. This is just the law. If RC want to ensure safety of it crew and guest and ask for Vaccine, the governor can't override that. This is just a simple fact.

This is the United State of Litigation there is no such thing as a simple fact ... how dare they discriminate against the vaccine challenged ?

He is doing exactly what he did with the mask mandate, leaving it up to the people, local government and businesses to decide. He is just telling the CDC you have no power here. Let the people and businesses make their own decisions and take whatever risk they want to based on the current situation. 

Before Covid we all took the risk that the Norovirus would not break out on the ship, so we washed our hands and sanitized. The businesses will adapt and this outright closure of an industry like this is ridiculous.

2 hours ago, Justwanttocruise said:

He is doing exactly what he did with the mask mandate, leaving it up to the people, local government and businesses to decide

Actually, this EO seems to prevent businesses from deciding what they can do.

Directly from the EO: "Businesses in Florida are prohibited from requiring patrons or customers to provide any documentation certifying COVID-19 vaccination or post-transmission recovery to gain access to, entry upon, or service from the business."

So while the State wont allow government to require vaccines, it also prevents leaving it up to businesses to decide what they want to do.

I really get what DeSantis is trying to prevent, but saying businesses can't flies in the face of his other major objective of getting cruise ships going, which will likely require vaccines at least initially for adults.

12 minutes ago, Matt said:

I really get what DeSantis is trying to prevent, but saying businesses can't flies in the face of his other major objective of getting cruise ships going, which will likely require vaccines at least initially for adults.

I would have to agree, I get it, but let the businesses do their job and keep people safe, keep the nannies in the government out of the business sector and let the business carry the brunt of the responsibility.

I mean if a cruise company keeps you safe and sound, you will return with more business and $$$. If you go on another cruise companies ship and they are not as diligent and you get a close call or get sick well you might not go back and that is bad for business. 

I think DeSantis is well aware of numerous "loopholes" that would allow internationally registered ships using ports that have federal oversight and funding to prevent his EO from having teeth there.

But any good politician (or, someone good at politicking)  will still control the narrative, which is what he's doing here.

3 hours ago, Justwanttocruise said:

Before Covid we all took the risk that the Norovirus would not break out on the ship, so we washed our hands and sanitized. The businesses will adapt and this outright closure of an industry like this is ridiculous.

I like this thinking!   

This is copied and pasted from the Mayo Clinic web site, 

Complications

For most people, norovirus infection usually clears up within a few days and isn't life-threatening. But in some people — especially children, older adults and people with compromised immune systems — norovirus infection can cause dehydration. Norovirus infection can cause severe dehydration, malnutrition and even death, especially in people who are older or immunocompromised, or in women who are pregnant

So if a vaccine is developed for Norovirus will the cruise lines try to make it mandatory as well.  Where DOES it Stop?

23 hours ago, twangster said:

And with today’s announcement that the declaration of “Public Health Emergency” has been extended, the can has been kicked further down the road. 

I respectfully disagree with a some of comments that have been mentioned above.   I fully support businesses deciding on requiring proof of vaccination since this is a public health issue. At the current level of new cases, I would feel better about cruising again knowing that the person sitting at the row of two person dining tables was vaccinated. (They are ridiculously close)

Also norovirus to COVID are not comparable. Yes there are 900 deaths annually but there have been 500,000 deaths COVID related.  The level of risk is in a different category. 

Finally, I wish my governor would spend more time focused on ways to decrease the ongoing death toll from the pandemic. In the last week we lost 450 lives to COVID within Florida. Getting the cases and deaths down is the best way to pave the way to a relaunch of the cruise industry.

I also respect your opinion, that's what makes our country great, however, we have had many public health issues in the past that businesses haven't forced any vaccine upon us.

So I guess if the cruise lines decide NOT to REQUIRE the vaccine when cruising resumes out of the US, you will not be cruising?

Norovirus was just an example, you could look at many other medical conditions you could get on a cruise from another passenger or crew, it may not result in death, but can affect your health.  Sorry, it was my common sense approach to this horrible disease.

Lastly, Governor's around the country have had very different approaches to this pandemic, and from the flock,heard, mass exodus of people moving to Florida from states that have different rules, is a good sign people think he is doing a good job.  And many of these people are from both sides of the aisle. 

RBRSKI, good points and questions. 

Under the current numbers, we would prefer to cruise knowing that fellow cruisers are vaccinated. If the numbers drop in the population then I would say that would change my equation. 

Having a home in Maine and Florida, I have seen the same large rise in home value in both states. Each state has handled the pandemic much differently so I really don't see it as a political issue but more as an urban exodus, remote work induced freedom. 

Back to cruising, after many postponements, I am hopeful for a 9-11-21 cruise on Symphony as my personal restart of cruising.