Beach/travel/excursion bag recommendations

The wife and I have standard backpacks that we carry during embarkation. It holds all our essential items for the first day and makes it easy to carry. For shore excursions, she carries the backpack and I have a dive bag that will hold all our my snorkel equipment, towels, towels clips, etc. One essential item is a giant industrial ziplock bag that we carry in each pack that we can place her backpack and towels in for the occasional rain shower, to keep out the sand and to hold the wet towels back to the ship.

I've found that whatever you bring, make sure it has a zipper so it can close, and few pockets so you can stash your seapass card and your phone/camera somewhere that is easily accessible.  My husband usually brings a backpack as a carryon on the plane, then we use that as our primary beach/excursion bag.  I have a little Fjallraven totepack that can be either a shoulderbag/larger purse or a backpack that I use when we're in port walking around and on board that I love.  

16 minutes ago, Bluegirlum said:

I've found that whatever you bring, make sure it has a zipper so it can close, and few pockets so you can stash your seapass card and your phone/camera somewhere that is easily accessible.  My husband usually brings a backpack as a carryon on the plane, then we use that as our primary beach/excursion bag.  I have a little Fjallraven totepack that can be either a shoulderbag/larger purse or a backpack that I use when we're in port walking around and on board that I love.  

I like the totepack - thanks!

A couple years ago I found a micro mesh backpack at a closing down Kmart (75% off!) that does the trick quite well. Couple extra pockets to keep smaller, important things separate from our towels, water, sunscreen etc. The see-through micro mesh fabric also makes it easier to see items inside so we don't have to dig endlessly to retrieve something from the bottom.

Just got this backpack for my birthday yesterday. I’ll still bring my larger backpack as my carryon, but this one seems perfect to pack and use on excursions. It’s designed by travelers so it has some nice features.

Travel Backpack- Packable lightweight daypack for hiking, gym, and airplane https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y3DGCL2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_CX06BAHE6SP0709ATP49

• 2 weeks later...

I got this ultra-lightweight and foldable backpack, based on recommendations from folks here. Not waterproof, but other than that it’s great for carrying all of our stuff and has held up like a champ.

Outlander Packable Handy Lightweight Travel Hiking Backpack Daypack-Dark Blue-L https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TEIVNXM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_fbWEtiVJFelme

6 hours ago, JLMoran said:

I got this ultra-lightweight and foldable backpack, based on recommendations from folks here. Not waterproof, but other than that it’s great for carrying all of our stuff and has held up like a champ.

Outlander Packable Handy Lightweight Travel Hiking Backpack Daypack-Dark Blue-L https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TEIVNXM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_fbWEtiVJFelme

+1! We have three of them. Great for everything and they fold up small. 

I have a bunch of different Scout bags I use.  They are all a coated cotton so fairly waterproof and very light weight.  I like a very small crossbody (Sally Go Lightly or Carson)  to carry on tours or on the ship, then it's easy to toss in one of their bigger tote bags (Daytripper or Weekender) for beach or pool.  They also make several different small pouches that I use to organize other things like sunscreen or otc meds, and can toss in to purses or bigger bags as needed.  I'm currently eyeing their foldable tote as well.  Bonus that you can usually find them in nautical prints. ⛵

https://www.scoutbags.com/bags