New Scott, Rubio bill seeks to override CDC’s cruise regulations, allow sailing soon

We will see how this goes:

"Florida’s U.S. Senators introduced legislation Tuesday to override the Centers for Disease Control’s existing framework cruise ships must follow to resume operations and replace current regulations with a new set of recommendations to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 aboard ships."

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article250629204.html

42 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

We will see how this goes:

"Florida’s U.S. Senators introduced legislation Tuesday to override the Centers for Disease Control’s existing framework cruise ships must follow to resume operations and replace current regulations with a new set of recommendations to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 aboard ships."

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article250629204.html

Paywall-free link. We'll see if Democratic senators in Hawaii and Maryland (both state's governors have openly supported restarting cruising) give it support or if it'll be shot down purely due to political lines.

https://www.bradenton.com/news/business/tourism/article250629204.html

This act needs to be expanded with fresh eyes looking at the whole country.  

The US is too big for a one size fits all approach.  Just as the CDC doesn't make rules or regulations for school health related matters these are left to each state to consider CDC guidance but in the end each state establishes their own laws for them.

The CDC should be put back into the bottle and be contained to an advisory role with absolutely no police powers to establish blockades or bans for anything including cruise ship operations.  A one agency federal police force with no oversight from the states involved doesn't work and should be considered unconstitutional even during a public health emergency.  

This needs to be fixed before the next public health emergency arrives.

21 minutes ago, Jmccaffrey said:

I Just wish they could get some Dems signed on as a co-sponsors other wise it is not going anywhere and this bill is just for PR 

Completely agree. I don’t think this bill is going anywhere unfortunately.

I’m also not a big fan of what the CDC is doing but rather than creating a bill to override them, the Senators should be working to get some Democratic Senators and other Republicans to put pressure on them to end the no sail order. I think it’s already somewhat working. Originally they said the no sail order would stay until November and then they sail it might be possible to sail in July. 

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

We'll see if Democratic senators in Hawaii and Maryland (both state's governors have openly supported restarting cruising) give it support or if it'll be shot down purely due to political lines.

To be fair, Rubio & Scott introduced a very similar bill in September 2020 when Republicans controlled Senate and that bill went no where. It didn't even get a vote

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/116/s4592

I think the bigger issue isn't voting, but the plight of the cruise industry doesn't register on the radar of Congress as a whole.

Lots of bills get introduced, few get voted on, fewer become law.

2 hours ago, Oliver said:

Originally they said the no sail order would stay until November and then they sail it might be possible to sail in July. 

True, but that’s likely assuming that cruise companies are willing to jump through the hoops of the CSO (which it appears they aren’t).

I think this is more political theater, they know bills like this won’t go anywhere. They’re just hoping that enough pressure will make the CDC cave. It’s likely to happen at some point, I just think the CDC is going to hold out as long as they can. One (unlikely) outbreak and everyone will be pointing at them again. 

39 minutes ago, Matt said:

To be fair, Rubio & Scott introduced a very similar bill in September 2020 when Republicans controlled Senate and that bill went no where. It didn't even get a vote

I think the bigger issue isn't voting, but the plight of the cruise industry doesn't register on the radar of Congress as a whole.

You may well be right, but the first bill was pretty much fluff. This bill at least has some end goals to it and the timing is more opportunistic.

42 minutes ago, Matt said:

I believe this is due to the fact these are not US companies and the ships are flagged in other counties. Congress misses the fact of how many US jobs this shut down is impacting. 

44 minutes ago, Jmccaffrey said:

I believe this is due to the fact these are not US companies and the ships are flagged in other counties. Congress misses the fact of how many US jobs this shut down is impacting. 

You may be right, but I don't think that's the reason why the September bill didnt get a vote. I really don't think cruise ship bills get that much attention. It's relevant to a few states, and even then, there are usually bigger problems.

I think the difference today versus September is a lot more people are paying attention to the problem and the issue is reaching national attention.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Reminds me of the “I’m just a Bill” video by Schoolhouse Rock. Anybody remember that? LOL

Oh I hope and pray that I will! But today I am still just a bill!

1 hour ago, Jmccaffrey said:

I believe this is due to the fact these are not US companies and the ships are flagged in other counties. 

Being saying this since May of last year, when a number of members of Congress(both in the house & senate) express their desire for these " 'foreign entities' to become taxable...because they register their ships out of the country, like illegal off shore companies; and yet, rake in the benefits, off the backs of US tax paying citizens & feel they need to fall under US regulations(employment, environmental, & operation) & pay their fair share of taxation." Of coarse, many here just ignored what these opportunistic politicians express, as if to keep out of the forum's eye for discussion(censor), when an obvious agenda was at play with these politicians, from their own statements...guess hindsight is truly 20/20. Many closing their eyes & hoping it will go away, did nothing for the industry, that appear to be hard pressed to recover now, in a very uncertain global economy that is tethering on collapse. The ruining of a flourishing market is going to become more secluded to those willing to pay, a more inflated price. The ratio of infections & death "Never" justified the shutting down of whole economies & industries, in caparison to other so-called pandemics throughout history. Royal, I think was on the verge of building the most dominant holding in the cruise industry; and now, saddled with unnecessary debt, in a media induced diminishing market, unstable global economy/rising inflation, reduced disposable capital, and the "Fact" this is being continuing dragged out even longer, I just don't see them reaching that potential peak, they once was on track to achieve....really, the industry as a whole.

I've seen appeals for cruisers to write their legislators and officials in support of the cruise industry.  Are there parallel moves involving workers impacted by the cruise suspensions?  I think the better approach to this is not to invoke the "freedom to cruise" but to highlight the job losses from the suspensions. 

Marco Rubio first needs to get Ron DeSantis under control and they both need to get on the same page if they want to see results.

Just yesterday Ron DeSantis came out against luxury cruise liner Silver Seas plan to require all passengers be vaccinated and show proof of vaccination before they are allowed to board.  According the the Sun Sentinel the Governors press office came out against this requirement stating the governors executive order barring companies from inquiring or requiring vaccines also extends to cruise lines.  Although according to the paper they are not sure if the governors orders can actually be applied to cruise lines operating in mostly international waters. It is possible the executive order as it pertains to cruising could end up being decided in court should the governor challenge.  According to one maritime attorney he says "the governor wants to have his cake and eat it to" meaning the governor wants cruising to resume but wants to prohibit cruise lines from mandating all passengers and crew be vaccinated. 

On the one hand I want to applaud DeSantis for really standing up for the cruise industry, but on the other hand I'm like what are you doing?  Do you actually think we can just resume cruises and pretend COVID ceases to be a factor once onboard? For his office to come out so strongly against the cruise industry requiring all passengers and be vaccinated has left me totally confused about what DeSantis wants. 

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/fl-bz-silversea-cruises-to-require-vaccinations-20210412-7ok6fwabpndc5aop6oyla5tgvq-story.html

10 hours ago, JasonOasis said:

Do you actually think we can just resume cruises and pretend COVID ceases to be a factor once onboard?

Don't about his answer but mine would be yes.

I was willing to get on a cruise at any point in the last year, no questions asked, now that I am vaccinated - even more so.

40 minutes ago, jticarruthers said:

Don't about his answer but mine would be yes.

I was willing to get on a cruise at any point in the last year, no questions asked, now that I am vaccinated - even more so.

I’ve mentioned before that I think the vaccine requirement may not happen for US cruises. By July I’m expecting cases to be very low.  If there is no vaccine requirement, I would expect those not vaccinated would have to undergo frequent testing. However........given DeSantis’ EO, how would the cruise lines know who is/isn’t vaccinated? 

I have a feeling the only way to get around his EO is to state these are foreign companies and the EO pertains only to US based entities. 

Will be interesting how this plays out. 

1 hour ago, Jill said:

I’ve mentioned before that I think the vaccine requirement may not happen for US cruises. By July I’m expecting cases to be very low.  If there is no vaccine requirement, I would expect those not vaccinated would have to undergo frequent testing. However........given DeSantis’ EO, how would the cruise lines know who is/isn’t vaccinated? 

I have a feeling the only way to get around his EO is to state these are foreign companies and the EO pertains only to US based entities. 

Will be interesting how this plays out. 

But you are not taking into account when cruises resume there will not be cruises to no where here in the US or anything similar to what we will see when the UK resumes cruising where the ship will only visit UK ports.

Whenever cruising resumes in the US most ships out of Florida will be heading out into the Caribbean to visit other countries.  Testings prior to cruise is great but that doesn't go far enough and it is just one layer of protection.  If we are to going to resume cruising in this country the only way to get there is by requiring all passengers and crew be fully vaccinated.  It is the only way to assure these island nations that cruise ships will not import more virus into their countries. 

I don't like to use this as an example but if we look at the evacuation taking place in St. Vincent many Caribbean Islands are welcoming their neighbors however some islands will only take those who have been vaccinated. Islands like St. Lucia, and a handful of other islands are taking un-vaccinated evacuees but will vaccinate them upon arrival in St. Lucia.

Why bring up St. Vincent, I brought it up to show if  Caribbean Islands are requiring evacuees to either be vaccinated before leaving St. Vincent or be vaccinated upon arrival then why would they open their boarders and ports to cruise ships filled with thousands of Americans who could potentially be un-vaccinated.  The CDC and whether or not to require vaccines and Ron DeSantis (no vaccine passport for cruise ships) is only one part of the equation the second part of the equation is complying with the entry requirements these countries in the Caribbean may have as well.  It doesn't matter whether the cruise ship is docked for 6, 12, or 24 hours if passengers are disembarking then all passengers and crew would need to comply with that countries particular COVID protocols.  Requiring all passengers be vaccinated would go a long way in persuading governments throughout the Caribbean that cruise ships are not bringing more virus into their country.

The heat getting turned up from multiple angles as it is something they can't ignore much longer... CDC recognizes that senators hold purse strings and they also understand that a sympathetic judge in the suits could ruin their future authority  even if the "act" does not get passed...  On the subject of ports letting us in... Some of them are begging. Cruises represent substantial portions of their economies... 

10 hours ago, deep1 said:

The heat getting turned up from multiple angles as it is something they can't ignore much longer... CDC recognizes that senators hold purse strings and they also understand that a sympathetic judge in the suits could ruin their future authority  even if the "act" does not get passed...  On the subject of ports letting us in... Some of them are begging. Cruises represent substantial portions of their economies... 

It is past time for action, both legislative and legal action should be initiated ASAP.

I'm not a Lawyer but I think it is high time the cruise industry files some lawsuits against the CDC challenging their actions.  Heck if attorney Michael Winkleman can file an absurd lawsuit say the fall was Royals fault, I'm sure he could come up with a strategy to sue the CDC

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/7229222002

Not a good sign with this as the kicker from the 2 Democratic Senators 

“The cruise industry also pushed the CDC to drop its "outdated" restrictions on the travel sector in March.

"It is absolutely critical that we listen to scientists and health and safety experts over the industry and its profit-driven executives," Blumenthal and Matsui concluded.”

1 hour ago, UNCFanatik said:

"It is absolutely critical that we listen to scientists and health and safety experts over the industry and its profit-driven executives," Blumenthal and Matsui concluded.”

Two more nominees for the "too dumb to keep breathing on their own without government guidance" group ...

Rick Scott office sent an email today . In it, it outlined the proposal and I found that it really falls short of what is needed. Lots of loopholes and "outs" for the CDC.. Opens the door to them to block ships individually the way they are blocking the industry...  That loophole needs to be closed...  A few do.  There are enough signatures on the bill that it should raise eyebrows and possibly draw some Presidential intervention...