Royal Caribbean Phone App -- Check in / Set Sail Pass

I hope this will be a quick and easy question.  We are not at the point where we can check in yet, but trying to get ahead of the train before it hits me.

I've generally checked in via the web, but the app shouldn't be a problem and I cannot remember what we did when when we cruised out of Miami way back in February 2019!

My question is:

Is it sufficient for one person in each cabin to have the app and be signed it to scan the set sail pass or does each person in each cabin need to have the app and related sign in account and does the same apply for a kid under 16?  

Basically, I'm trying to figure out if I need to work with some others to get them accounts and make sure they remember the password.  

Thanks.

@Reigert2008Can you screenshot the Set Sail Pass?  They have to scan the individual QR/bar codes from each pass.  It may just make it easier on you to have the others get their own accounts.  Plus, if the app is used for eMuster and contact tracing, like it has been in Singapore they are all going to need the app anyway.

Thanks! I hadn't even though of the eMuster.  I can access everyone's docs (once available) since we are all linked, and I will totally be printing out each person's set-sail pass as a backup.  I'll be the one printing out the luggage tags for everyone as well, so will do the pass ?

Basically, I'm the "travel supervisor" that helps make sure the TA is not overwhelmed with questions the travel party is too "lazy" to google ?  It's so much easier when it's just the wife and I traveling! 

11 minutes ago, emmef said:

@Reigert2008Can you screenshot the Set Sail Pass?  They have to scan the individual QR/bar codes from each pass.  It may just make it easier on you to have the others get their own accounts.  Plus, if the app is used for eMuster, like it has been in Singapore they are all going to need the app anyway.

Thanks! I hadn't even though of the eMuster.  I can access everyone's docs (once available) since we are all linked, and I will totally be printing out each person's set-sail pass as a backup.  I'll be the one printing out the luggage tags for everyone as well, so will do the pass ?

Basically, I'm the "travel supervisor" that helps make sure the TA is not overwhelmed with questions the travel party is too "lazy" to google ?  It's so much easier when it's just the wife and I traveling! 

16 minutes ago, emmef said:

@Reigert2008Can you screenshot the Set Sail Pass?  They have to scan the individual QR/bar codes from each pass.  It may just make it easier on you to have the others get their own accounts.  Plus, if the app is used for eMuster and contact tracing, like it has been in Singapore they are all going to need the app anyway.

We’ve always used one device for everyone’s Set Sail Pass. You just swipe over as they scan each one, just like digital concert tickets.

I assume we’ll hear more soon whether everyone will need their own device when it comes to e-muster and contact tracing. But since kids can sail, I’m sure there will be a plan for those without a device/app of their own. 

26 minutes ago, Reigert2008 said:

Is it sufficient for one person in each cabin to have the app and be signed it to scan the set sail pass or does each person in each cabin need to have the app and related sign in account and does the same apply for a kid under 16?  

We have always just used the app on my phone to check in because the kids have to be at least 13 to sign up for an account.  However, by our next cruise with our kids, they will be 13 and 15 so perhaps we will try to everyone use their own phone to check in just for fun.  It works either way. 

Not sure how E-Muster factors into that though.

10 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

We have always just used the app on my phone to check in because the kids have to be at least 13 to sign up for an account.  However, by our next cruise with our kids, they will be 13 and 15 so perhaps we will try to everyone use their own phone to check in just for fun.  It works either way. 

Not sure how E-Muster factors into that though.

We have a 12 year old with her own device who is none too happy that she can’t sign into the app herself. We were actually hoping she could in case they allowed the messaging option like they had on Harmony as we don’t plan to get a wifi package. Any suggestions for communicating with a preteen who might get a little more independence than in the past?

8 minutes ago, Biff215 said:

We have a 12 year old with her own device who is none too happy that she can’t sign into the app herself. We were actually hoping she could in case they allowed the messaging option like they had on Harmony as we don’t plan to get a wifi package. Any suggestions for communicating with a preteen who might get a little more independence than in the past?

If you don't get VOOM, it's going to be hard.  We always get VOOM so we just used iMessage or Whatsapp to text our girls.  They all travel with devices the last few years.  Without VOOM, I'm not sure.  Some in the past have suggested a whiteboard/message board type thing.  Hopefully someone else here has another suggestion.....

14 minutes ago, Biff215 said:

and this is the crux of my concern.  We have a 12 year old who will cross over to 13 the week before our cruise ?  So i didn't want to get surprised by it!

No one in our party will have Voom or anything.  It'll be so nice to be 100% disconnected for the first time since November 2019

10 minutes ago, Reigert2008 said:

and this is the crux of my concern.  We have a 12 year old who will cross over to 13 the week before our cruise ?  So i didn't want to get surprised by it!

No one in our party will have Voom or anything.  It'll be so nice to be 100% disconnected for the first time since November 2019

I agree, we purposely don’t purchase Voom for that reason. Harmony and some other ships had a beta feature where you could message others in your party through the Royal app without wifi. It was great when you needed to separate and check in with each other. My daughter will turn 13 two weeks after the cruise and I assume we can’t fake her birthdate since Royal obviously knows it. 

Based on my trip from Singapore, while it is convenient to have everyone have the app, it is not completely needed. 

At boarding, they only required 1 person to show all the set sail passes. If the place required each person to hold their own, a simple screenshot should suffice. 

As for emuster, we found the app to be buggy in the sense that it didn’t actually register that you’ve watch the video. We ended up doing it on the Stateroom TV. You don’t need the app for reporting to your station, only your seapass. They can tell whether you’ve watched the video or not. 

I would say the only thing that the other members of my party used the app for was the schedule that I put in it. Other than that, not really. 

For the messaging on the Royal App, it was a charged feature on my sailing. If I remember correctly it was $1.99 pppd