Guide to Chair Hogs

I say wait a bit and see if anyone is using it, if not, take it.

People will put towels on chairs the night befor, not cool.

On one cruise I seen over 80 empty chairs (with towels) and 4 people in the pool, doesn't add up.

I'm not one to sit in the sun so I don't mind, but it sucks for my wife. She is a very polite kind hearted person, but mention towels on chairs and she gets MAD. Being non confrontational she doesn't want to take one over, even if we see it for more than 30 minutes. It truly ruins her day, very disappointing.

On one cruise she had to go to deck 4 (stinky smoking section) to get some sun dispite all the empty chairs.

I just wish the rules were enforced, my last few ships they weren't.

I have reached the age if I have to wait 1/2 hour to occupy and toweled chair the towel gets moved and I sit.

This is what I was wondering. I want to get some sun next cruise but last cruise on Oasis, we could not find chairs in the solarium or by the pool. Towels everywhere but no people! And only a couple of people in the pool. Have you ever had an angry encounter after you took their towels off?

We will take chairs after 10  - 15 minutes all the time and never have an encounter ever.  As if anyone remembers exactly where their chairs were. Its amazing how long chairs stay unoccupied.  Especially when all that is their are towels and no personal effects.   we go past the pool every time before breakfast or when departing the ship at 8 a.m. and you would be amazed at how many chairs are supposedly taken.  Just grab a chair and enjoy.

We aren't ones for lounging by the pool, but if there are no available loungers that do not have towels on them, and you know the seat has not been occupied for 20-30 minutes, it should be okay to set the towel aside. I would be interested in knowing what the experienced loungers think is an appropriate response if the person comes back to claim the lounger.

personally I would give it more than 15-20 minutes before moving a towel and taking the chair. We have young kids, and if I need to take them to get a snack, or change a diaper, I can tell you it will take more than 15-20 minutes. If I were to come back and someone was in our chairs I would absolutely let them know, and most likely in a not so pleasant way.  

Having done a cruise where we could never find a chair with few people in the pool, I'm frustrated for sure. I saw someone in the early hours one morning picking out her chair with towels. I only want about a half hour in the sun, so I am guessing most empty chairs aren't changing diapers or getting children snacks. Most are likely out eating lunch, shopping or getting a drink. So I will give it a half hour in the hot tub or pool and then grab a chair this coming cruise.

I don't even go where kids would be, so having parents taking kids into pool, or lunch or anything about kids would not affect me.  I go to solarium or adult place and if crowded I can usually tell by observing for a while who is going to return.  If there are purses, bags, shoes or something obvious like that I tend to leave alone, but if just a towel, after a while, it is fair game and I move it.  Have never had someone come up and say you are in my seat. 

I rarely sit on a lounger near the pool but last year I did and while I was in the pool, someone came over to my chair and removed my towel.  I said "hey, that's my towel".  She threw it down and walked away pissed.  I have a sore spot for people who say they will remove towels from loungers now.

Short of very attentive attendants monitoring this, there is likely little you can do, when it comes to the general public, people are just inconsiderate.  If you are planning on spending some time at the pool on a sea day, you have to just get there early or plan on moving towels, unfortunately.  

How long were you away from the chair?

15 or 20 minutes talking with a couple of people in the pool.  Had she said "oh, sorry" or something I wouldn't had hard feelings.  It was the way she threw the towel down.  Ha ha though, after she left, I got out and gave my chair to someone else looking for one.

Good response. :) As mentioned, we do not generally use the loungers by the pool, but we do like to sit at the tables near the pool. What upsets us is smoking. A lot of ships allow smoking on the port side on pool deck but not on starboard side. Smokers will come to the starboard side and smoke if there are no loungers on the port side.

• 2 years later...
On 7/27/2016 at 1:20 PM, Jerel said:

I say wait a bit and see if anyone is using it, if not, take it.

People will put towels on chairs the night befor, not cool.

On one cruise I seen over 80 empty chairs (with towels) and 4 people in the pool, doesn't add up.

I'm not one to sit in the sun so I don't mind, but it sucks for my wife. She is a very polite kind hearted person, but mention towels on chairs and she gets MAD. Being non confrontational she doesn't want to take one over, even if we see it for more than 30 minutes. It truly ruins her day, very disappointing.

On one cruise she had to go to deck 4 (stinky smoking section) to get some sun dispite all the empty chairs.

I just wish the rules were enforced, my last few ships they weren't.

On Serenade of the Seas, a crew member would walk around and any unused hogged chairs, he would fold up their belongings, put them at end of chair, wait 30 minutes, if no one returned, items would be taken to towel station.

yes, people were pissed, but only fair. We watched this go on the whole cruise, tipped the crew member $50!!! Well worth it!!

The best solution will be to put some kind of timer on the chairs like parking meter which will go red if was not reset after 30 minutes ...  maybe if it will be digital timer were you will wave your cabin card , after a certain time they can announce the name of the person and tell them to come to collect there stuff from the guest services ? 

Funny thing about this topic. We were at a condo in St.Augustine, FL last week. I didn't realize there were that many cruise ship folks also there. Usually by 9:30 am everyday, most of the loungers by the pools had towels on them with no occupants! :27_sunglasses:

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 8:36 PM, sulross said:

I have reached the age if I have to wait 1/2 hour to occupy and toweled chair the towel gets moved and I sit.

We call this the Clint Eastwood 'tude. Don't mess with us....:29_smirk:

• 6 months later...

i am glad to read that an attendant on serenade of the seas would go around and fold up personal belongings on chairs not being used for long periods of time.

i think it would be helpful if cruise lines would post signs about chair saving rules.

1- no overnight chair saving.

2- after 45 minutes an unoccupied chair is fair game.

3- a saved chair must have a towel AND personal items on each chair saved.

Still waiting for my first cruise in Jan, 2020 but chair hoggers are universal .

Here's my method:

I base the chair I want off the level of commitment the mystery person left.

If I see a default/disposable towel or some sort of article the establishment provides generously (i.e. cups, towels, sandals, etc) I remove it myself in 30 minutes or sooner depending on my mood.

If I see personal belongings on the chair that is not provided by the establishment in question I give them 45-60 minutes. If they have not even checked back in with their chair within that time limit I have staff remove their stuff.

What they leave on the chair gives me enough information to decide how long I wait.

If confronted one of 2 things can happen:

Let them know the staff removed their belonging go ask them.

Staff removes me off the chair themselves :4_joy:

I'm merciless with chogs.  On my last cruise, there were 4 sorta suite "cabanas" in the suites-only area that folks staked out at 8AM, clipping towels to chairs.  They'd literally be empty 90% of the time I walked by... hour-after-hour.  After seeing one empty for over an hour I just un-clipped their crap, folded it up on a table and made myself at home.  After reading a book for ~2 hours, I had an indignant couple ask me to leave "their" cabana.  Nope.  Take your stuff and find an empty one (if you can dislodge one of the other chogs).  If you really want to, complain to a crew member that I "took" the cabana and see how far that gets you.

2 hours ago, mk-ultra said:

I'm merciless with chogs.  On my last cruise, there were 4 sorta suite "cabanas" in the suites-only area that folks staked out at 8AM, clipping towels to chairs.  They'd literally be empty 90% of the time I walked by... hour-after-hour.  After seeing one empty for over an hour I just un-clipped their crap, folded it up on a table and made myself at home.  After reading a book for ~2 hours, I had an indignant couple ask me to leave "their" cabana.  Nope.  Take your stuff and find an empty one (if you can dislodge one of the other chogs).  If you really want to, complain to a crew member that I "took" the cabana and see how far that gets you.

Wait a minute. There are suite snobs that are also chair hogs?? Say it isn't so.

I'm not inherently a dishonest person... but I always just move the towels if I don't see anyone on them after about 15 minutes (I only do it when there are no personal items). The ONE TIME someone came back, we had been sitting in the seat for over an hour, so I simply told them there were no towels present when we showed up. I reminded them of the policy and told them their towels must have been removed by staff. Maybe not the most honest thing... but neither is not adhering to the very obvious rules...

I like to help the greater cruise community.  

I find a chair for myself that is available.  Then as I have observed an area for a while, I move chair hog stuff and return to my chair.  Some innocent person comes along and starts using the now empty chair.    Chair hog returns and confronts innocent person who can honestly claim they didn't do it, the chair was unused.  

Walking to breakfast if I notice a series of hogged chairs that are still hogged when I return from breakfast I grab the towel and drop it off somewhere.   Chair is freed up. 

I consider it a community service.  

Guest Slhalabama
On 8/4/2016 at 7:47 PM, packercruising said:

Good response. :) As mentioned, we do not generally use the loungers by the pool, but we do like to sit at the tables near the pool. What upsets us is smoking. A lot of ships allow smoking on the port side on pool deck but not on starboard side. Smokers will come to the starboard side and smoke if there are no loungers on the port side.

If smokers are smoking in an unauthorized area you need to report it. I’m a smoker and never smoke in unauthorized area. You can be put off ship at port for doing so. I wish all smokers would be courteous. Just remember, most ships it’s portside but in others it will be starboard side. If there are ashtrays it’s the smoking authorized area. 

Lucky for us we saw very few chair hogs on the Anthem last week.  The one I noticed was two older gentlemen staking out the whole front row of chairs and then walking away.  One thing we saw was people violating the no swim diaper rule.  Mom wasn't hiding it and lifeguard wasn't doing anything about it.  Yuck

You people are unreal. Who made you the lord over the chairs! yes we get our chair prior to breakfast and we like to eat together so we go...Sometime eating breakfast in Chops take 45 minutes or so at least 30... We return and we are in, out, around until lunch which we generally return to our chairs to eat...but we have been known to go to specialty resesturent for lunch and again it takes awhile...  Bath room breaks we sometime go to the room which can take 15 to 20 minutes or longer depending on the crowds at the elevators or they are cleaning the room..  Again you guys are unreal......

20 minutes ago, cookie10* said:

You people are unreal. Who made you the lord over the chairs! yes we get our chair prior to breakfast and we like to eat together so we go...Sometime eating breakfast in Chops take 45 minutes or so at least 30... We return and we are in, out, around until lunch which we generally return to our chairs to eat...but we have been known to go to specialty resesturent for lunch and again it takes awhile...  Bath room breaks we sometime go to the room which can take 15 to 20 minutes or longer depending on the crowds at the elevators or they are cleaning the room..  Again you guys are unreal......

Everything you just said only reinforces why so many people find such conduct to be selfish, self-centered, boorish, and classless.... not to mention rude.