Cancellations when using Travel Agent

I noticed that when I made my final payment for my July cruise that I booked through a travel agent that when I looked at my credit card statement that my initial deposit was charged to Royal. When I made my final payment, my credit card statement had two entries, one of the lion share of final payment was charged to Royal while the rest was charged to travel agency

Is this common practice? If my July cruise is cancelled would it affect the amount of FCC that i would be given? Would only the money i see charged to Royal be used as a basis for FCC?

7 minutes ago, Reigert2008 said:

Did you purchase outside Travel Insurance?  I've had some in the past where i had 3rd party travel insurance where my cruise amounts went to the cruise line, but then the agency's travel insurance provider was a separate charge to the agency.  

Stay Safe

No i did not

25 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

Is this common practice?

No.  All of it should go to Royal.  Something funny definitely went on there.  I know from first hand experience.

26 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

If my July cruise is cancelled would it affect the amount of FCC that i would be given?

Likely, and sadly, yes.  Royal will only give you FCC on what is paid to them.  So basically, you TA charged you "more" than what they paid to Royal as cruise fare.  The exact same thing happened to me back in March.  That is why I left my TA in the first place.  It's a very underhanded practice.  

My suggestion, wait until you get your FCC back.  If it turns out to be less than expected, which I would think in this case it might be, call Royal at that point and see if they will email you your actual confirmation when you made final payment.  If they won't, then request that your TA either makes up the difference, or ask them to send you your actual invoice (from Royal, not the TA company one) to prove that a mistake wasn't made.

15 minutes ago, CGTLH said:

Are we talking about a significant amount? Maybe some sort of fee the TA charges?

Added:

@Lovetocruise2002 Got the the point I didn't want to flat out say. With the TA charging more than Royal's invoice.

I got the same price that was shown by Royal on their website when I booked. I wasnt charged more than quoted. 

Its close to $700. that I see charged to agency on my CC statement rather than Royal

17 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

I got the same price that was shown by Royal on their website when I booked. I wasnt charged more than quoted. 

Yes, so if my suspicions are correct, the agency actually got your cabin a lower cost and did not extend that discount to you or they are playing with commission.  Either way, it's shady and underhanded.

I will say though, despite the lemon TAs out there, I still firmly believe that a "good one" is invaluable.  

I've been burned by this when a cruise canceled and my FCC was lower than it would have been had I booked directly (or with a less sleazy TA).

The Travel Agency was using group rate discounts unknown to me but quoting me a price between the group rate and the Royal website rate.

I would have saved a few bucks had the cruise sailed, but in the end I lost out on FCC when it cancelled.   

That was my last cruise with that agency.