State of Florida Sues CDC Over Cruise Shut Down

13 minutes ago, LovetoCruise87 said:

Ok, as I know absolutely nothing about law, what does this mean in regular language?

As plain as I can get:

Referred to mediation has been called by the Court which means that all sides meet and come to an agreement in writing as to when "certain things" needs to be done by. Once agreed, they must abide by it or seek further court intervention if no agreement has been made. The deadline is June 1, 2021 as directed by the Court to have said mediation. Any party gives up his/her right IF any objection not brought up to the Courts attention within ten days and it must be in writing.

So mediation must occur before 6/1 (must be scheduled by this Thursday) with the mediator's report due 7 days after that (6/8).

I have no idea what to expect... It doesn't seem like this is targeting at resolving a single issue, so I would presume the entirety of the case is on the table.

9 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

As plain as I can get:

Referred to mediation has been called by the Court which means that all sides meet and come to an agreement in writing as to when "certain things" needs to be done by. Once agreed, they must abide by it or seek further court intervention if no agreement has been made. The deadline is June 1, 2021 as directed by the Court to have said mediation. Any party gives up his/her right IF any objection not brought up to the Courts attention within ten days and it must be in writing.

I appreciate it, thank you

8 minutes ago, LizzyBee23 said:

So mediation must occur before 6/1 (must be scheduled by this Thursday) with the mediator's report due 7 days after that (6/8).

I have no idea what to expect... It doesn't seem like this is targeting at resolving a single issue, so I would presume the entirety of the case is on the table.

In a nutshell, the State of Florida wasted their time in a futile move to out-do the CDC as the Courts have thrown it back to "two children having a sibling spat to work it out amongst themselves."

10 minutes ago, LizzyBee23 said:

Neither do I. 

8 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

In a nutshell, the State of Florida wasted their time in a futile move to out-do the CDC as the Courts have thrown it back to "two children having a sibling spat to work it out amongst themselves."

It's kind of hard to argue that's the case when one option was for the judge to just rule in HHS/CDC's favor.

7 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

So the judge doesn't want to rule on the case, he wants the two sides to work it out.

Man that sure has worked wonderfully for the cruise lines when they've tried to work things out.

Unless this is all an intentional stall tactic for both sides knowing new CDC guidance is coming anyway

... and giving the push for another round of cancellations, should the CDC desires it putting this matter back on the Courts calendar should there not be an agreement.

8 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Thank you for the clarification. In this case though, one of the children is a bully and the other child is contrite and just wants to go outside and play, but the bully won't let him.

7 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

So the judge doesn't want to rule on the case, he wants the two sides to work it out.

Man that sure has worked wonderfully for the cruise lines when they've tried to work things out.

Unless this is all an intentional stall tactic for both sides knowing new CDC guidance is coming anyway

CDC working with the cruise lines is a complete fantasy. lol  I think given how the CDC  guidance changes hourly, maybe the State of Florida knows something that we don't know yet. 

33 minutes ago, jticarruthers said:

That has to kill July at this point.

Mediation on June 1, then a couple weeks of arguing over the fine print, etc.

Only if the July restart was predicated on the injunction.

Some cruises lines are full steam ahead even without the FL lawsuit.

9 minutes ago, twangster said:

Charles Sylvia with CLIA stated he thinks all of this will be sorted out so ships can sail before the lawsuit reaches a conclusion.

I hope he is right. Too much of this state of Limbo crap. They wouldnt need mediation at all if CDC was a competent agency. But I am hoping this doesnt drag out to the deadline of June 1st. CDC needs to make concessions and then its done. 

7 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

I hope he is right. Too much of this state of Limbo crap. They wouldnt need mediation at all if CDC was a competent agency. But I am hoping this doesnt drag out to the deadline of June 1st. CDC needs to make concessions and then its done. 

I think they have been but not completely to our liking. Now you just need to have a negative test but the mask mandate is ridiculous.

11 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

I also think the CDC needs to be put in check. It should be on politicians to implement such sweeping measures for this long... We don't get to vote for the CDC, and it's hard to argue we're in a true public health emergency anymore.

8 minutes ago, LizzyBee23 said:

I also think the CDC needs to be put in check. It should be on politicians to implement such sweeping measures for this long... We don't get to vote for the CDC, and it's hard to argue we're in a true public health emergency anymore.

I agree. Policy making is not under the CDC purvey. CDC is supposed to provide health "guidance" and recommendations which our elected official consider when setting policy. the CDC is supposed to be risk adverse. I get it. But public policy should never be set on an unobtainable zero risk. Thats why the CDC can "advise" that a person not smoke because of health reasons but they cannot mandate that the Tobacco companies shut down. The CDC can "advise" that people dont eat raw oysters, cookie dough, meat not well done, but the CDC cannot shut down any food manufacturers. 

I didnt sign up to be ruled by technocratic overlords. Covid has broken many systems in the US

11 minutes ago, Jill said:

wouldnt that mean that test sailings would be required? I thought it was either 98% crew and 95% passenger vaccination requirement OR test cruises. they are 44 days out from July 3rd. Wouldnt they have test cruises in place by now if that was the case?

7 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

wouldnt that mean that test sailings would be required? I thought it was either 98% crew and 95% passenger vaccination requirement OR test cruises. they are 44 days out from July 3rd. Wouldnt they have test cruises in place by now if that was the case?

I'm taking the glass half full view and assuming they know of an upcoming CSO update that will make it doable.

8 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

Even more.....Carnival is a BIG reason why Covid went rampant on their ships (Princess). They transferred crew from the pacific Cruises (Mexico then Hawaii, outbreak, couldn’t port etc) to Fort Lauderdale. Crew from the Mexico run were transferred to Florida. Plus aren’t they still in a heap of trouble from dumping into the ocean? 

I don't know if vaccination requirements will actually make a huge difference. Vaccines work, I'm not debating that. But a majority of high risk (65+) in the US have received the vaccine, and at events I have seen photos of with masses of unmasked people with no vaccination requirement (Texas Rangers game, anyone), there have been no headlines AFTER the event about it being a "superspreader." Plenty of headlines before, but you KNOW that if there were cases traced back to that event, it would have made national headlines. I think a "take responsibility for your own health" approach could work, much as many retail stores are rolling out.

The only big difference, I think, is that Target doesn't have to test all their customers for COVID. Currently, cruise lines do, which leads to headlines and liability.