SilverSea Restart Announced (non-Expedition) - June 2021 from Greece

twangster

Dear Guest,

I understand that you share our excitement for our healthy return to sailing, and I extend my gratitude for your ongoing patience and support in this regard. Our team has worked tirelessly to enable our resumption of cruising.

I am pleased to be writing to you today with encouraging news that edges us closer to the moment in which we are all reunited on board our beautiful ships.

In line with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s recommendations for safe international travel and in recognition of the importance of COVID-19 vaccinations in ensuring the safety of international travellers, Silversea Cruises will require all embarking crew and guests to have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19.

As I’m sure you will agree, vaccinations will play a critical role in ensuring the health and safety of our guests, crew, and the communities we visit, which we prioritise above all else. Vaccines will enable you to travel deep into the world once again, with a renewed sense of appreciation for our beautiful planet, in superlative comfort, and with unwavering confidence.

On this note, I am delighted to inform you that we will resume cruising in the Eastern Mediterranean aboard Silver Moon from 18th June 2021. Silver Moon – our new flagship – will depart on brand new 10-day itineraries from Greece. Including calls in some of Greece’s most beautiful destinations, such as Santorini, Paros, Mykonos, and Crete, as well as Haifa (Israel) and Cyprus. The new round-trip itineraries will be unveiled and on general sale from 15th April.

To help safeguard your health and wellbeing, we have introduced a comprehensive, multi-layered set of science-backed protocol, which have been informed and approved by the Royal Caribbean Group’s Healthy Sail Panel. Silversea will continue to work closely with relevant governing bodies and health authorities to evolve its health and safety procedures, as new health recommendations are issued and as the fluid situation advances.

The protocol founded on vaccinations will include enhanced sanitation procedures providing the highest standards of cleanliness in travel, increased air filtration to ensure the supply of fresh and filtered air from outdoors throughout the ship, high-quality onboard medical care with state-of-the-art medical equipment, and enhanced medical teams on each ship.

I look forward to contacting you in the near future with more exciting news about our healthy return to sailing.

Until then, stay safe and stay healthy and get ready to cruise again!

Roberto Martinoli,
President and Chief Executive Officer

This is a bit misleading, as Silversea still has cruises set to sail effective June 5th that have not been cancelled, so shouldn't their return to sailing be June 5th with Silver Origin in The Galapagos?  Silversea indicates on their website they will return to sailing with updated protocols that include requirements for Covid vaccinations for passengers and crew of all of their vessels as of June 18, yet my June 12 cruise on Silver Origin is still sailing as of now.   If their vaccine mandate doesn't take effect until June 18, what about the two cruises set to sail on Origin? 

• twangster changed the title to SilverSea Restart Announced (non-Expedition) - June 2021 from Greece

Thanks for your reply.  Below is from Silversea's website and there is no designation between regular and expedition cruises.  The only exception is Australia..  Just wondering why these protocols take place after they have sailed twice in the Galapagos.  Of course, it's still early and they can cancel those two sailings  :

Silversea will require all embarking crew and guests to have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to embarking on any of its cruises starting from the 18th of June. This requirement is for all Silversea cruises, with the exception of sailings departing from Australia.

Protocols change as the situation evolves and new mitigation steps are available such as vaccines.  

Only leadership in the cruise line brand know why they those chose a specific date for a particular protocol.  One can speculate they wanted to give booked guests ample time to consider options such as choosing the Cruise With Confidence program if the protocols do not meet their preferences.  We'll probably never know why June 18 was chosen in this case.

• 4 weeks later...

Cruising will restart in the Galapagos in late June or early July per Mark Conroy, Managing Director with Silversea, who appeared on Insider Travel Report (video posted this morning, May 6, 2021).  Crew is in the process of being vaccinated, should get second shots by late May.  Still need to run test cruises.  Silver Moon still set to start June 18 in Greece.

20 minutes ago, 1stTimeCruiser said:

Cruising will restart in the Galapagos in late June or early July per Mark Conroy, Managing Director with Silversea, who appeared on Insider Travel Report (video posted this morning, May 6, 2021).  Crew is in the process of being vaccinated, should get second shots by late May.  Still need to run test cruises.  Silver Moon still set to start June 18 in Greece.

Celebrity is reducing 10 night Flora to 9 night in July.  The extra night in Quito is being eliminated due to protocols.  

Wonder if Origin will do the same. 

Ecuador went into a nightly curfew with reduced capacity for gatherings late last month in several states because of increased Covid cases in their hospitals, which they attribute to Easter holiday gatherings.  Its supposed end in late May but I'm sure they will re-evaluate.  Perhaps that is why they are eliminating their guest's exposure on the mainland until Ecuador gets more shots in arms, thus reducing the need for curfews and capacity reductions.  Looking forward to putting this all behind us so we can all get cruising again soon.

I was very tempted by Flora in August because it's about $3k cheaper for a better suite but I stick with my 2023 date hoping this is all past us by then.  

My fear is the protocols impacting a bucket list trip.  If I'm spending this kind of money, I don't want protocols changing the experience, I'll wait.