Covid Vaccine to sail

Brogan

6 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Those cards can easily be faked which is why if you truly want verification you need a so called "Vaccine passport". I'm not saying that the best idea, certainly controversial but that is the only way to truly verify. I'm OK with the idea, got my first Pfizer shot today. 

I had the same thought about faking the cards. I personally also think vaccine passports are a good idea however I do believe that they shouldn’t be introduced until the vast majority of people have been offered a vaccine. I’m in the UK so will be different in the US but there’s a chance I won’t be offered a first dose until the end of July and in the UK they are saying three months between doses so that basically means I cannot cruise at all this summer. Despite that I’ve booked two of the anthem cruises out of Southampton and am just praying I’m somehow vaccinated in time. I just don’t see how it’s fair to see you have to be vaccinated when in the UK at least only over 40s will have had both doses by the time they sail in July 

8 minutes ago, KJ1231 said:

So will people that don't get the vaccine be able to get cash in lieu of FCC? Requiring vaccines is a substantial change in policy and I'm sure that many would not have purchased cruises had we known that a vaccine was required.

No existing cruise booking later has had a vaccine requirement added to it.

For Adventure that requirement was known and stated when bookings for her were made available.

10 minutes ago, AJP said:

How about children under 16. There is no vaccine for them, Yet ?

That is a slight problem. Its what I have a problem with what NCL put out a few days ago that everyone must be vaccinated even kids but kids can't. Royal I believe is just saying kids have to have a negative test to cruise. That is fair I think because kids like you said can't get vaccinated.

17 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

I don't think this something to get worked up about, at least not yet. I doubt this will happen to be honest and its not in the works Government wise. Private business may require some kind of proof at lease until Covid is such a non story and the disease is down to near nothing.

I hope you are right, I would hate to have to cancel both my cruises because In have only had one dose of vaccine. I think at least in the UK Royal may have to change that as a requirement because right now they are saying that people aged 18-30 may not be offered a first dose until end of July, then they will be forced to wait 11-12 weeks for second dose. That’s a very large proportion of their demographic who can’t take these cruises under those restrictions, I think they may be forced to make a change.

@Brogan - here in the UK it's interesting for various reasons:

• Gove & Boris have indicated that "vaccine passports" will involve a combination of options (vacinnation, negative pcr test, or positive for covid within last 6 months).  We will need to wait to see if apps are able/allowed to distinguish between the 3 options (and whether there's a difference between domestic or international use).
  • Government ministers have also indicated that vaccine passports may not be implemented until September time (after adult population has been fully vaccinated, making passports a mute issue potentially).
  • Stage 4 of the Roadmap out of lockdown (currently slated for 21st June) will lift lockdown, allow all UK residents to move about the country as they please, etc... Royal is sailing the Anthem around British waters/ports from July and will only allow UK residents onboard.  So, why would vaccine passports be required? When there is no more lockdown? Surely, negative pcr test would suffice?
  • I think if mask wearing is also required onboard, a negative pcr test should be enough.  If everyone is mandated to be fully vaccinated then I think mask wearing should be ditched. 
  • And yes it would be "fair" to wait for everyone to be vaccinated (more "polite" than fair).  But it would also be "fair" to let those that are fully vaccinated to get going asap so they can let businesses crank back up (and be the guinea pigs for everything).

We'll all be back cruising before we know it, the more we wait,  the more we long to return, the more we enjoy it when it does finally happen. 

7 minutes ago, em.down.the.rabbit.hole said:

@Brogan - here in the UK it's interesting for various reasons:

• Gove & Boris have indicated that "vaccine passports" will involve a combination of options (vacinnation, negative pcr test, or positive for covid within last 6 months).  We will need to wait to see if apps are able/allowed to distinguish between the 3 options (and whether there's a difference between domestic or international use).
  • Government ministers have also indicated that vaccine passports may not be implemented until September time (after adult population has been fully vaccinated, making passports a mute issue potentially).
  • Stage 4 of the Roadmap out of lockdown (currently slated for 21st June) will lift lockdown, allow all UK residents to move about the country as they please, etc... Royal is sailing the Anthem around British waters/ports from July and will only allow UK residents onboard.  So, why would vaccine passports be required? When there is no more lockdown? Surely, negative pcr test would suffice?
  • I think if mask wearing is also required onboard, a negative pcr test should be enough.  If everyone is mandated to be fully vaccinated then I think mask wearing should be ditched. 
  • And yes it would be "fair" to wait for everyone to be vaccinated (more "polite" than fair).  But it would also be "fair" to let those that are fully vaccinated to get going asap so they can let businesses crank back up (and be the guinea pigs for everything).

We'll all be back cruising before we know it, the more we wait,  the more we long to return, the more we enjoy it when it does finally happen. 

I agree with you completely. I feel that if the UK government introduce some form of covid passport, which could vaccinated, a negative pcr test or positive for the virus within the last 6 months then I think it would make sense for Royal and other cruise lines for that matter to use those rather than having their own separate requirements. A cruise ship should be no different then a hotel or theme park and I guarantee they won’t be saying you have to be fully vaccinated for those things. Especially how like you said, they will just be for Brits sailing to British ports and likely still wearing masks. I think forcing everyone to have had both doses of the vaccine may be a bit over the top in my opinion when such a large percentage of the population, or certainly Royals target market won’t have been able to get both doses. I suppose we will see though when they actually announce all there requirements nearer the time of sailing.

14 hours ago, cruisellama said:

Until something comes out in writing from the line, its all speculation, but interesting to debate.

From Matt's 7 Apr CLIA blog:

"Even if cruise lines received permission to sail, how realistic is July as a timeframe for cruises to be able to restart sailing?

Ms. Craighead said the ramp up would take "about 90 days" to get a ship ready for service, but the bigger issue is how soon cruise lines can get the go-ahead to start planning."

So we know the approximate lead time...  If you don't see crew movements 90 days prior, low probability a cruise will go.