Another Cancellation Round Forthcoming??

I guess we should thank NCLH for being the sacrificial lamb, or guinea pig in trying this approach with the CDC.

At any rate their "freeze" clearly wasn't a cancellation plan but possibly a means to figure out how to stop new bookings for unvaccinated including kids.

This will be very interesting to follow.

2 hours ago, steverk said:

As you've mentioned, it takes a lot of advanced planning to stage a ship out of a port.  Royal must have been working on this since the beginning of the year.  Perhaps longer. 

Carnival and NCL must have felt that the CDC was acting in good faith.  Royal may or may not have felt the same, but at least hedged their bets.

This isn't the first time that Royal has outmaneuvered the whale tail. ?

And now it seems as though NCL may be outplaying Royal.  

If NCL is successful (very big IF) that could really cast a shadow on Royal's well laid plans for cruises from non-US ports.

At a minimum it could stall sales for Royal.  Some guests could take a wait and see approach.

24 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:

I'm already well aware of this. The meme I posted is to illustrate my anticipation of the CDC's response, or more likely, anticipated lack of response.

Huh, I guess it's confirmed, no minors unless they're vaccinated.

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe

The safety and security of our guests, crew and communities we visit is our number one priority. In order to provide the safest cruise experience possible, all guests and crew will need to be fully vaccinated for all sailings with embarkation dates prior to October 31, 2021. Therefore, minors who have not yet been eligible to be vaccinated will not be permitted to sail on these voyages. Minors who have been fully vaccinated are welcome to sail. 

Wonder if royal follows suit if this works for NCL?

*fine, Matt beat me too it.

Edited by joshgates

Summer cruising without those under 16? Good luck with that

My "scheduled" July 2021 cruise on Royal includes a 13 year old who would not be eligible most likely by then so if royal goes that route its a deal breaker for us and will have to reschedule. 

I know there is pent up demand for cruising this summer but for some cruise lines to not allow children over the summer seems like a bad business model.

*edited to add. But I guess some revenue > 0

25 minutes ago, Matt said:

I agree, but these are desperate times. Company has been without real revenue since March 2020. That's insane.

My guess is they figure nothing to lose and lets try and make the CDC go on record that fully vaccinated cruises arent good enough to base a restart on ....

17 minutes ago, jticarruthers said:

My guess is they figure nothing to lose and lets try and make the CDC go on record that fully vaccinated cruises arent good enough to base a restart on ....

If that's their approach it could be brilliant since I don't believe the CDC can approve something that requires vaccines due to the EUA nature of the vaccine.

32 minutes ago, jticarruthers said:

Absolutely. Not sure this is exactly a Hail Mary football play, but they are definitely going deep with this move

4 hours ago, twangster said:

Looks like NCLH is going to require vaccinations in a bid to convince the CDC to let them sail in July.

https://www.nclhltdinvestor.com/news-releases/news-release-details/norwegian-cruise-line-holdings-ltd-submits-plan-cdc-and-will-be

By requiring full and complete vaccinations of guests and crew, the Company believes it shares in the spirit and exceeds the intent of the CDC’s Conditional Sailing Order (“CSO”) to advance mutual public health goals and protect guests, crew and the communities it visits. Norwegian trusts and is optimistic the CDC will agree that mandatory vaccination requirements eliminate the need for the CSO and therefore requests for the lifting of the order for Norwegian’s vessels, allowing them to cruise from U.S. ports starting July 4. The Company looks forward to its continued partnership with the CDC in recommencing operations with 100% vaccinated guests and crew aboard and reduced capacity initially as part of a phased-in launch.

If requiring full vac's, pretty low risk.   Can mitigate (play the game) even further with testing on both ends.  But still need a story for the port authorizations and mitigations.

1 hour ago, cruisellama said:

v/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/crew-disembarkations-commercial-travel.html

Not sure if this has shown up , but the health score for each ship is published.  As of date is 30 Mar 30, published 2 Apr 21.

That page has existed since December and most ships were in the green in December.   Which makes the CSO technical guidance delay for Phase 2 more ridiculous since cruise lines have been ready for Phase 2 since last year.

7 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

But still need a story for the port authorizations and mitigations.

Port employees?  

The CDC CSO update says that a plan for port employee vaccinations should be developed.  

Right now in Florida as of today everyone over 16 can get vaccinated.  I think Texas may be the same.  

By the time July is here everyone in these two states who wants a vaccine should have one including port employees.

3 hours ago, joshgates said:

Huh, I guess it's confirmed, no minors unless they're vaccinated.

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe

The safety and security of our guests, crew and communities we visit is our number one priority. In order to provide the safest cruise experience possible, all guests and crew will need to be fully vaccinated for all sailings with embarkation dates prior to October 31, 2021. Therefore, minors who have not yet been eligible to be vaccinated will not be permitted to sail on these voyages. Minors who have been fully vaccinated are welcome to sail. 

Wonder if royal follows suit if this works for NCL?

*fine, Matt beat me too it.

All about the risk mitigation "optics" now, and how to show you're really being the more careful than the competition.

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

Port employees?  

The CDC CSO update says that a plan for port employee vaccinations should be developed.  

Right now in Florida as of today everyone over 16 can get vaccinated.  I think Texas may be the same.  

By the time July is here everyone in these two states who wants a vaccine should have one including port employees.

Yes along with the supply chain and support crews that have access to ship areas..  I also read of a levied  restriction requiring a 12 hour waiting period of isolating gangways between embarking passengers and disembarking passengers.   It was ridiculous as I compare to how jetways are routinely used for embarkation/disembarkations without any kind of waiting period.  I'm trying to find the article -- it was on the Cruise Critic site.

21 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

Yes along with the supply chain and support crews that have access to ship areas..  I also read of a levied  restriction requiring a 12 hour waiting period of isolating gangways between embarking passengers and disembarking passengers.   It was ridiculous as I compare to how jetways are routinely used for embarkation/disembarkations without any kind of waiting period.  I'm trying to find the article -- it was on the Cruise Critic site.

Found it at cruise radio not cruise critic,  https://cruiseradio.net/inside-the-cdcs-second-round-of-cruise-guidelines/

The CDC says, in part:

• Cruise lines must specify procedures that limit the congregation of embarking or disembarking passengers shoreside.
  • The lines must also “ensure disembarking and embarking passengers do not occupy the same enclosed or semi-enclosed areas (e.g., gangways, terminal waiting spaces, check-in areas) within the same 12-hour period.” This is going to be a big challenge in some cruise facilities and in some smaller ports.  (This makes no sense as airlines are operating with jetways which have far greater passenger exposure with less mitigation)

4 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

But banning kids (and therefore families) could really backfire on NCL, too.

They would not be starting all their ships immediately. They are also only starting at 60% capacity. I believe there is enough pent up demand that they will be able to fill all available cabins with vaccinated adults only.

13 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

Found it at cruise radio not cruise critic,  https://cruiseradio.net/inside-the-cdcs-second-round-of-cruise-guidelines/

The CDC says, in part:

• Cruise lines must specify procedures that limit the congregation of embarking or disembarking passengers shoreside.
  • The lines must also “ensure disembarking and embarking passengers do not occupy the same enclosed or semi-enclosed areas (e.g., gangways, terminal waiting spaces, check-in areas) within the same 12-hour period.” This is going to be a big challenge in some cruise facilities and in some smaller ports.  (This makes no sense as airlines are operating with jetways which have far greater passenger exposure with less mitigation)

The CDC must assume that airline passengers walk faster.  

32 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

It's listed in the "agreement" the lines need to have with the port.   So they'd basically need to have two gangways set up at a time, one for the last cruise, one for the next cruise.

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

It's listed in the "agreement" the lines need to have with the port.   So they'd basically need to have two gangways set up at a time, one for the last cruise, one for the next cruise.

Hospitals who have known COVID patients arriving don't even do this.  Taxis, buses, trains, stores, etc.  None of them do this.

Just goes to show how far out of touch with reality the CDC has become.

10 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I mean 12 hours. And as we all know that gangway is outside in fresh air.

Not all gangways are fully open.  For one of our cruises, it was fully enclosed.  Not sure of which port, or which crusieline, but it could have been in Port Canaveral with Disney, or Port Everglades, Port Miami, Port Baltimore with Royal.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Port employees?  

Yes sir, TX wide open for vaccine appointments.  The state received 2.5 million first doses for this week. 

My state (KY) just opened up appointments today to people age 16 and older, and I think we've been behind a lot of other states.  Listening to our Governor today and there are a lot of available appointments across the state.  I think we are quickly reaching the point where supply may outpace demand in some areas. 

23 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

Yes sir, TX wide open for vaccine appointments.  The state received 2.5 million first doses for this week. 

The US administered over 4 million doses this past Friday or Saturday so it is conceivable that by June or July anyone who wants a shot can get a shot.  

The problem with NCL's plan is there are still quite a few details missing.  What I've learned just from the 2 or 3 months I've been a member on this site is it takes time to get ships ready to once again accept passengers.   I'm no expert in the cruise industry, but in the airline industry the longer an airplane sits on the ground in storage the longer it takes to get ready to fly again.  Some of these airplanes that have been grounded since last March it is taking 5-9 weeks to get those planes ready to fly again.  In the cruise industry I imagine NCL would need a response back from the CDC by the end of this month if they are serious about restarting cruises on July 4th.   I don't see the CDC responding to NCL's request by May.

All RC port states offer vaccinations to all 16+ except:

April 15 - Washington (not that that really matters since Alaska cruises are toast), California

April 19 - Massachusetts (also a wash due to Canada's rules)

April 27 - Maryland

May 1 - Hawaii (again, Canada), New Jersey

Not sure on Puerto Rico