Another Cancellation Round Forthcoming??

29 minutes ago, KathyC said:

I see some sailings during that time: image.thumb.png.5c9c3d04047512d15cec8c67c00b814a.png

The original post included images from the Norwegian Cruiseline site, which is not relevant to Royal Caribbean's plans. I understand everyone is on "pins and needles" and wants to know what the status of their cruise may be, but i personally don't think it's healthy to speculate based on the actions of another company.  Royal has provided us with many options to manage our vacations and if you are "on the fence" about going,  you can certainly take action on your own, with the understanding that you may "miss out" on a potential "deal" they may offer if they cancel on thier own. 

Will they cancel? will they not?  The only correct answer is that no one knows until it is announced, so it's not helpful to your stress levels to worry about what "may happen".  My advice is to make your own personal decision, based on the facts you have at the time.  Make the best decision you can and move forward.  Life is too short and you never know what could happen (as we've all learned) so live life to the fullest and enjoy it.

I'm a "planner" type person and the uncertainty is extremely frustrating, but I also want to go on the vacation i had originally planned, so we have some "backup options" that we could pull the trigger on should a future cruise get canceled.  

Stay Safe

10 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

Can this be another sign of more cancellations coming? Signals coming from NCL's website, if history repeats itself, as it has been doing for the past year, well ... you know the rest of the story.

169109252_10223602946536124_2839627855794087435_n.jpg

Well that's cans our July NCL cruise, and frees us up to book a round the UK cruise or 2. We were struggling to choose between trying something new (Celebrity) or sticking with Anthem, perhaps we can do both ?

Lots of shuffling going on.

I had a Greece cruise on hold with NCL for October. I tried to pay the deposit this morning, but it's no longer available. I also had an NCL Bermuda cruise from New York bookmarked, and that too is no longer available.

It sure feels like 2021 is going to be another "lost" year for cruising.

NCL's sailing suspensions were through June 2021 per their last announcement copy below. Supposedly, there is a new announcement forthcoming per C S. Rep I spoke with.

Updated March 16, 2021:    Your safety is our #1 priority—both on and off our ships. Due to the current global environment, we are extending the suspension of cruises to include all cruises embarking through June 2021.

17 minutes ago, Matt said:

Seems to be. Before I could see various sailings in July. Example was looking up sailings for Pride of America.

Other thought is NCL has put in place a stop sale so further bookings can't be made. Just think it is too soon to blanket cancel two more months.

If we're in Phase 2B, in theory, should be open to test cruises after the gov't processes and approves the request (which provides all the risk mitigation processes 60-day review).  Then 30 days for sail certificate.  So minimum of 90 days of processing paper.    Those cruises will need to be less than 7 days despite the rest of the world.   Maximum time lag is unknown.  If still 2A, we're still chasing our tails, and clock  can't even start.  '21 is fading.

28 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

If we're in Phase 2B, in theory, should be open to test cruises after the gov't processes and approves the request (which provides all the risk mitigation processes 60-day review).  Then 30 days for sail certificate.  So minimum of 90 days of processing paper.    Those cruises will need to be less than 7 days despite the rest of the world.   Maximum time lag is unknown.  If still 2A, we're still chasing our tails, and clock  can't even start.  '21 is fading.

We are in phase 2a.  Phase 2b is the simulated voyages. 

CSO introduced: Oct. 2020.

CSO phase 2a details provided: Apr. 2021.

I'm sure the phase 2a approvals leading to phase 2b simulated voyages will be approved promptly.  By CDC standards prompt is between six and eighteen months.

1 hour ago, Matt said:
Yes, it is Matt.  When the question was asked on the NCL FB webpage, this was the response given:
"With the COVID-19 pandemic continuing to impact communities and ports around the globe, we are working to determine our next course of action. While we evaluate the opportunity to resume with sailings, we have temporarily frozen voyages that might be impacted should we need to delay sailing further. Please bear with us. We will make a decision shortly and will provide information as it becomes available."

On 4/3/2021 at 6:25 PM, princevaliantus said:

Can this be another sign of more cancellations coming? Signals coming from NCL's website, if history repeats itself, as it has been doing for the past year, well ... you know the rest of the story.

169109252_10223602946536124_2839627855794087435_n.jpg

Watched Governor Ron DeSantis with Dept. of Transportation Secretary and the Florida Attorney General with reps from RCCL, NCL, MSC, Disney and Carnival and it was mentioned that the no sail order is in effect until the end of October 2021.  Here is my proof:  https://www.portcanaveral.com/About/Recent-News/Governor-Ron-DeSantis-Highlights-Florida's-Vital-C      It was stated in the video that the CDC is in over-reach, and I said this on this blog months ago and got slammed for saying it, but here we are still not cruising because of the CDC.

I'm surprised that both Norwegian but especially Carnival aren't doing the same thing Royal Caribbean is doing by offering a limited number of cruises out of Nassau or some other island.  They almost seem to have been caught off guard by Royal Caribbeans decision to sail out of Nassau and Bermuda.  Knowing that it takes planning to pull off what Royal Caribbean is doing, it looks like while Royal was working a their contingency plan to jump start their cruise season both Carnival and Norwegian were sitting on the sidelines hoping the CDC would come through.  I found it quite funny last week watching  Christine Duffy's video where she claims Carnival is America's cruise line as she struggled to  come up with several reasons (excuses in my book) as to why Carnival would not temporarily reassign a small number of ships to new homeports in the Caribbean or Bermuda. 

Regardless to what Norwegian does it is clear Royal Caribbean is charting its own path and if  the CDC won't let them resume cruising from US ports they will simply find another port within striking distance.  Judging from the response, homeporting in Nassau and Bermuda is paying off for Royal and it wouldn't surprise me if both Norwegian and Carnival are kicking themselves in the rear end asking why didn't we think of this.

Honestly I would be shocked if any cruises sail from US ports in 2021. I hate to be pessimistic but I feel like I am being realistic. We all want cruising to start so bad from the US and even with all that has been done the past few weeks the CDC still came out with a joke of an update. It seems so obvious that cruises are not sailing from the US anytime soon, but they will from non-US ports. I am totally okay with that, I just hope they move my Symphony cruise early next year away from Miami instead of cancelling it. I don't mind flying a little bit further like Nassau to get on a ship, flying all the way across the county as it is! ?

7 hours ago, SandyW said:

Watched Governor Ron DeSantis with Dept. of Transportation Secretary and the Florida Attorney General with reps from RCCL, NCL, MSC, Disney and Carnival and it was mentioned that the no sail order is in effect until the end of October 2021.  Here is my proof:  https://www.portcanaveral.com/About/Recent-News/Governor-Ron-DeSantis-Highlights-Florida's-Vital-C      It was stated in the video that the CDC is in over-reach, and I said this on this blog months ago and got slammed for saying it, but here we are still not cruising because of the CDC.

I saw that.  There is no longer a "No Sail" order.  I was surprised to hear people who should know better saying that.  The "No Sail Order" was replaced months ago (Oct 30th) by the "Conditional Sailing Order" which could allow sailing to begin assuming the cruise lines jumped through all the hoops.  Unfortunately the CDC has been dragging their feet and the cruise lines didn't know what hoops they had to jump through.  In theory, had the CDC been more forthcoming and proactive the cruise lines could have been sailing soon.   

3 hours ago, mianmike said:

I saw that.  There is no longer a "No Sail" order.  I was surprised to hear people who should know better saying that.  The "No Sail Order" was replaced months ago (Oct 30th) by the "Conditional Sailing Order" which could allow sailing to begin assuming the cruise lines jumped through all the hoops.  Unfortunately the CDC has been dragging their feet and the cruise lines didn't know what hoops they had to jump through.  In theory, had the CDC been more forthcoming and proactive the cruise lines could have been sailing soon.   

A Conditional Sail Order with the conditions not defined is the same thing as a No Sail Order.

9 hours ago, JasonOasis said:

I'm surprised that both Norwegian but especially Carnival aren't doing the same thing Royal Caribbean is doing by offering a limited number of cruises out of Nassau or some other island.  They almost seem to have been caught off guard by Royal Caribbeans decision to sail out of Nassau and Bermuda.  Knowing that it takes planning to pull off what Royal Caribbean is doing, it looks like while Royal was working a their contingency plan to jump start their cruise season both Carnival and Norwegian were sitting on the sidelines hoping the CDC would come through.  I found it quite funny last week watching  Christine Duffy's video where she claims Carnival is America's cruise line as she struggled to  come up with several reasons (excuses in my book) as to why Carnival would not temporarily reassign a small number of ships to new homeports in the Caribbean or Bermuda. 

Regardless to what Norwegian does it is clear Royal Caribbean is charting its own path and if  the CDC won't let them resume cruising from US ports they will simply find another port within striking distance.  Judging from the response, homeporting in Nassau and Bermuda is paying off for Royal and it wouldn't surprise me if both Norwegian and Carnival are kicking themselves in the rear end asking why didn't we think of this.

As you've mentioned, it takes a lot of advanced planning to stage a ship out of a port.  Royal must have been working on this since the beginning of the year.  Perhaps longer. 

Carnival and NCL must have felt that the CDC was acting in good faith.  Royal may or may not have felt the same, but at least hedged their bets.

This isn't the first time that Royal has outmaneuvered the whale tail. ?

41 minutes ago, steverk said:

As you've mentioned, it takes a lot of advanced planning to stage a ship out of a port.  Royal must have been working on this since the beginning of the year.  Perhaps longer. 

Carnival and NCL must have felt that the CDC was acting in good faith.  Royal may or may not have felt the same, but at least hedged their bets.

This isn't the first time that Royal has outmaneuvered the whale tail. ?

Carnival's president took a cheap shot without naming Royal by suggesting how they aren't looking to move away from US ports as if it is somehow un-American.   Realizing she was painting herself into a corner she then added "...unless we have to".  

Looks like NCLH is going to require vaccinations in a bid to convince the CDC to let them sail in July.

https://www.nclhltdinvestor.com/news-releases/news-release-details/norwegian-cruise-line-holdings-ltd-submits-plan-cdc-and-will-be

By requiring full and complete vaccinations of guests and crew, the Company believes it shares in the spirit and exceeds the intent of the CDC’s Conditional Sailing Order (“CSO”) to advance mutual public health goals and protect guests, crew and the communities it visits. Norwegian trusts and is optimistic the CDC will agree that mandatory vaccination requirements eliminate the need for the CSO and therefore requests for the lifting of the order for Norwegian’s vessels, allowing them to cruise from U.S. ports starting July 4. The Company looks forward to its continued partnership with the CDC in recommencing operations with 100% vaccinated guests and crew aboard and reduced capacity initially as part of a phased-in launch.

11 minutes ago, twangster said:

Looks like NCLH is going to require vaccinations in a bid to convince the CDC to let them sail in July.

https://www.nclhltdinvestor.com/news-releases/news-release-details/norwegian-cruise-line-holdings-ltd-submits-plan-cdc-and-will-be

By requiring full and complete vaccinations of guests and crew, the Company believes it shares in the spirit and exceeds the intent of the CDC’s Conditional Sailing Order (“CSO”) to advance mutual public health goals and protect guests, crew and the communities it visits. Norwegian trusts and is optimistic the CDC will agree that mandatory vaccination requirements eliminate the need for the CSO and therefore requests for the lifting of the order for Norwegian’s vessels, allowing them to cruise from U.S. ports starting July 4. The Company looks forward to its continued partnership with the CDC in recommencing operations with 100% vaccinated guests and crew aboard and reduced capacity initially as part of a phased-in launch.

Seems a little late for that desperate move since the CDC all but said they're locked into the CSO for the duration

8 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Seems a little late for that desperate move since the CDC all but said they're locked into the CSO for the duration

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

The CDC may not have legal grounds to mandate a vaccine.  A cruise line submitting a plan that requires them is another matter.  

Now the question becomes...  does NCL requiring vaccinations violate Florida's no vaccination passport executive order? 

At this point the CDC isn't mandating a vaccine because they really can't as long as it's just an EUA authorization. 

It seems the only thing the cruise lines see as a way to fast forward past the CSO is with vaccines (fair thought process).

But I don't see it working since the CDC easily could have included language that would incentivize cruise lines prioritizing vaccines, even without an outright mandate. Instead it just said "hey, if you can, get vaccinated"

7 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

I wonder how NCL is handling those under 16? Will they follow Royal with negative tests required for quest under 16 or will they prohibit those who cannot get vaccine who are under 16?

It would be quite a power play to actually mean "all" people vaccinated. For now I assume that to mean "all who are age-eligible"

7 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

It would be quite a power play to actually mean "all" people vaccinated. For now I assume that to mean "all who are age-eligible"

• "By requiring full and complete vaccinations of guests and crew, the Company believes it shares in the spirit and exceeds the intent of the CDC’s Conditional Sailing Order (“CSO”) to advance mutual public health goals and protect guests, crew and the communities it visits. "

Full and complete sounds pretty absolute.

Guess we need to see the CDC submission to know for sure.