Royal Caribbean Blog

Try again : Topic -- Refunds: 12 months ago last June, my wife and I, "and about 30 others in our group" were booked on the Liberty of the Seas. Royal Caribbean cancelled the cruise. To make a long story short, after even 12 months we can't get refunds.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We've seen people run into this when they pay the travel agency or club directly (meaning their card is charged by the travel agency, not Royal Caribbean), and then the travel agency or club finds tha

No one but one person in your travel clubs knows for sure, but it sure sounds like someone made an assumption or a mistake and now they are blaming Royal for it.   With all my cancelled cruises R

You're incorrect. There is absolutely an option for refunds. Hard to say what happened since you have been leaving out certain details (i.e. who cancelled the cruise first, which compensation off

28 minutes ago, Duane Fulton said:

Try again : Topic -- Refunds: 12 months ago last June, my wife and I, "and about 30 others in our group" were booked on the Liberty of the Seas. Royal Caribbean cancelled the cruise. To make a long story short, after even 12 months we can't get refunds.

Welcome to the forums. So you're aware this site isn't affiliated with Royal Caribbean.

Did you use a travel agent? If you waited and Royal Caribbean cancelled your options should have been something like: 1) Lift & Shift 2) 125% credit or 3) refund. I could be mistaken as this was a long time ago. Did you make a choice? If so, which choice. You might need to escalate this within customer service if you don't have a travel agent.

I'd also file a dispute with your credit card. 

2 hours ago, Duane Fulton said:

It's not just the risk that they may cancel. We were booked on the Liberty of the Seas for April of 2020. We got changed to another cruise that also got cancelled. We "30 of us" were to get a refund which has been a year in the waiting now. I don't look to ever get the refund at this point. Duane Fulton

Did your group use a travel agent? 

1 hour ago, Duane Fulton said:

Our group is a travel club with several hundred members. They travel all over the world - France, Germany, China, Caribbean. They have been established for decades - They are not amateurs

We've seen people run into this when they pay the travel agency or club directly (meaning their card is charged by the travel agency, not Royal Caribbean), and then the travel agency or club finds that when things go south they don't have the funds to reimburse their members so they jack them around for a while. This happened to a friend of mine last year who had booked a trip to Ireland through a travel club.  If your charge card doesn't say Royal Caribbean, I'd be going after the club.

Both, Know what you're getting at. The travel club HAS NOT received a refund and is holding on to it. Part of the payment was charged by Royal Caribbean from my card account. some by check to the club. The club officers and treasurer are honest people. Royal Caribbean has 100% of the refund money.

3 hours ago, CruisinForABruisin said:

Sounds like they are when it comes to getting refunds 

Club officers are amateurs because Royal Caribbean won't honor it's refund policy? My wife is a minor officer in the club as well. Also, we did not cancel the cruise, Royal Caribbean cancelled the cruise. Hard as it seems to be for you all to believe --  The club booked with Royal Caribbean as we have in the past. I've been on Royal Caribbean cruises with the club. This time RC cancelled the cruise - not us. They did not return the portion to my credit card account and they did not return anything to the travel club. Strangely, they did return a $500 upgrade to my credit card account, months ago, but not the primary payment. Real simple RC cancelled a paid in full cruise -- RC kept the refund 

I had issues with RCC when they cancelled my May 2020 cruise, to get all my money back. 

I tried to keep an open mind that no company was prepared for the pandemic that wiped their complete business for over a year.

I ended up calling numerous times and would slowly get my money back.  I paid the deposit and then in full, drove me crazy they keep refunding in little sections.  I ended up creating a spreadsheet.  I had two staterooms but since our daughter is considered an adult they treated it like a separate booking.

Call the Crown & Anchor # and keep asking for another rep/supervisor until you get results.

Also start a claim with your credit card.

I ended up getting all my money back but I had to work for it.

Now I have a wonderful TA and she knows the end/outs of RCC way better than I.

Here is the number I called, it's the Crown & Anchor don't use the main line

1-800-526-9723

When you listen to the beginning there are websites they mention you could try too.

Everyone on this board wishes you the best, good luck!   

You're not the only one. My wife, myself, and about 30 others were booked on the Liberty of the Seas in April of 2020.  Royal Caribbean cancelled the cruise - we DID NOT cancel it. We have been unable to get a refund for 12 months. You won't get any help or assistance from this website. They implied that we must have cancelled the cruise before the virus - we didn't. They implied that our travel club had received the refund and that they kept it. They didn't. No doubt they wouldn't believe that even now, all cruise lines are booking cruises that the cruise lines already know will be cancelled. You'll book a cruise and get a nice voucher to hang on the wall.  That has been going on all along since the first cruises shut down.  Duane Fulton

All I've seen is people on this site enquire to the circumstances of your original booking (as they're not mind readers), so that they be of some assistance... you're responses imply you're getting wound up due to your own frustrations with RCI, no need to vent on people trying to help.  If you don't want these people's help, why as, for it?

@Duane Fulton How confident are you that you don't have a Future Cruise Credit (FCC)?

The most likely scenario is that there is a FCC for your sailing.  If RC cancels and you/club doesn't tell RC you want a refund, you would have automatically been issued a FCC after certain period of time.

Since your cruise was in 2020, more than likely the window to ask for a refund instead of a FCC likely expired at the end of December 2020.

As @twangster pointed out, nothing anyone here can do. I'd advise your club to contact the resolutions department at RC and get a clear answer on what happened to your reservation (i.e. who cancelled, and what happened to the money).

Every answer except the refund they promise if Royal Caribbean cancels the cruise. I happen to know from our experienced cruise director that none of us have a FCC. I am also 78 and almost unable to walk. I would not meet RC physical guidelines to take a cruise. It would not be responsible on my part to attempt a cruise. Their is no FCC, not do I want one -- RC said REFUND if they cancel and they did cancel. Our club is composed of retired attorneys, a prosecuting attorney and mostly retired professional people,"I'm not, and less patient then them"  However, I ASSURE you, this matter will not go unresolved. They're working on it.  My little bit here is to hopefully caution a few people to not be trusting when they shell out their money - 

3 hours ago, Duane Fulton said:

Every answer except the refund they promise if Royal Caribbean cancels the cruise. I happen to know from our experienced cruise director that none of us have a FCC. I am also 78 and almost unable to walk. I would not meet RC physical guidelines to take a cruise. It would not be responsible on my part to attempt a cruise. Their is no FCC, not do I want one -- RC said REFUND if they cancel and they did cancel. Our club is composed of retired attorneys, a prosecuting attorney and mostly retired professional people,"I'm not, and less patient then them"  However, I ASSURE you, this matter will not go unresolved. They're working on it.  My little bit here is to hopefully caution a few people to not be trusting when they shell out their money - 

So did your club request refunds, or did they just expect them? Royal actually promised FCC's, but with a stipulation that you can request a refund instead if that was done within a certain time period. Refunds were not automatic

No one but one person in your travel clubs knows for sure, but it sure sounds like someone made an assumption or a mistake and now they are blaming Royal for it.  

With all my cancelled cruises Royal has refunded everything I've expected.  The last cancellation took 9 days to refund but I had to request a refund, the default action is FCC.

I suspect there is more to this story that isn't being offered or known to the OP.

14 hours ago, Duane Fulton said:

Club officers are amateurs because Royal Caribbean won't honor it's refund policy? My wife is a minor officer in the club as well. Also, we did not cancel the cruise, Royal Caribbean cancelled the cruise. Hard as it seems to be for you all to believe --  The club booked with Royal Caribbean as we have in the past. I've been on Royal Caribbean cruises with the club. This time RC cancelled the cruise - not us. They did not return the portion to my credit card account and they did not return anything to the travel club. Strangely, they did return a $500 upgrade to my credit card account, months ago, but not the primary payment. Real simple RC cancelled a paid in full cruise -- RC kept the refund 

Royal cancelled my cruise and I asked for a refund.. received it within 4 weeks. 

12 hours ago, Duane Fulton said:

I am also 78 and almost unable to walk. I would not meet RC physical guidelines to take a cruise.

Have RC posted new physical guidelines about who is eligible to take a cruise?  I'm not aware that they have released anything official of this nature yet.  

Blame the club -- club returned $900 transportation and hotel cost early on. Plain to see, Royal Caribbean is retaining refunds, giving out worthless vouchers for future cruises knowing those cruises will be canceled. That is what they did to us -- two cruises, both canceled .They're booking cruises and passing out more vouchers. Hopefully a few unsuspecting people will read this before you delete it and give some serious thought before throwing their money away.  Duane Fulton

18 minutes ago, Duane Fulton said:

Plain to see, Royal Caribbean is retaining refunds, giving out worthless vouchers for future cruises knowing those cruises will be canceled.

You're incorrect. There is absolutely an option for refunds.

Hard to say what happened since you have been leaving out certain details (i.e. who cancelled the cruise first, which compensation offer was selected, etc).

Every cruise Royal Caribbean has cancelled comes with the option for a 100% refund IF the cruise line cancels before you/club cancels.

It sounds like your club decided not to go and cancel the reservation and took a Future Cruise Credit. Later, Royal Caribbean cancelled that same sailing and now you want a refund.  

Sorry that you're disappointed in the outcome.