Junior Suite or Grand Suite 1 bedroom?

Brogan

I have never stayed in a suite before (usually just balcony rooms), however because of the pandemic and several cancelled cruises we are considering combining them and go for a suite on one of the new Anthem sailings from the UK. It would probably be one of the smaller suites so I am wondering what the differences are between Junior Suites and a Grand Suite one bedroom as they seem fairly similarly priced from what I can tell. Also what perks do you get through booking a suite as apposed to a standard balcony and is it worth it?

Thanks 

the way I understand it is , Junior suites come with very few /no perks ( maybe suite line at embarkation ?? )  , where the grand does come with perks,  I know there is a great chart out there somewhere but I can't seem to find it right now ? https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2017/10/03/10-things-know-about-sky-class-suites-royal-caribbean

Because you are sailing Anthem, there is huge difference between a JS and a GS, not just the room size.  See the attached PDF.  Go to Q3 where it talks about the difference in amenities.  A JS is Sea Class.  The GS is Sky Class.  If you can do it, get the GS.

https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Suites/16049781_RSC_Trade_Flyer.pdf

12 minutes ago, LVJackson said:

The Coastal Kitchen makes the upgrade worth it. 

10 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Most definitely!  The key being that for JS, it is only dinner based on availability.  For a GS, it's all 3 meals. #teamCK

You all would hate us. 3 Grand Suites on Anthem, all Bermuda sailings so total of 15 days at sea ... 2 dinners at CK.

Not that we don't love the restaurant, but sailing with friends who aren't in a suite sometimes you "lose" the benefits to enjoy time with them. Mix that in with specialty dining and quick breakfast and lunches ... We just didn't take advantage.

If Oasis in September is a go I'd like to have breakfast there a few times, in addition to a few dinners. Lunch? Depends what the Windjammer would be like.

We have cruised several times in junior suites on the Anthem and have liked them. You basically get priority boarding and Coastal kitchen access if space is available. Our future cruises on the Anthem and Ovation are also booked in junior suites but we are considering upgrading to the Grand Suite but the price difference is $2500-$3000 more. Part of that may be due high demand for future cruises.

I booked a JS for my next and I'd be content with that, but I'm hoping that I'll be able to get an upgrade closer to the date for much less money. Currently the Odyssey is only offered with balcony rooms and suites available so maybe the lower general interest in cruising will work in my favor and they'll have a nicer suite available for a decent price. One can hope and try! 

Here are some photos from a J4 junior Suite on Anthem:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/17677-anthem-jan-5-2020-11-nights-southern-caribbean-recap/&do=findComment&comment=182280

I've never stayed in a GS on this class mostly because I'm often solo and I can't justify the additional cost for just one person.  I have no problem sailing in any cabin from interior to loft suites but I tend to save the higher end cabins when I'm traveling with someone to enjoy them with.  

I've often found the J4 on this class to be within my tolerance for solo cruising and I do like them more than a JS on Oasis class.  To me a JS on Oasis class (or older ships for that matter) just feel like a bloated balcony cabin while a JS on Quantum class feels more like a suite if that makes any sense.