ultimate vs premium packages

So i was looking at princing, and theres less than a 2$ difference between both. I what can you get more with the ultimate... and where? i saw that you can get like iced coffees and stuff? where would i get that?. I would like to know what people who get the ultimate package order thats not available in the other packages. We're going to go for the ultimate since its like 10$ more, but i just want to make sure i can take advantage of everything it offers!

We just came back off the Harmony and had the Ultimate drinks package and for us it was well worth it as we made our way steadily though the ships various cocktail menus! This was a brilliant side affect of having the package as we tried cocktails we simply would not have done at $11-$13 a go, but when it's included there's no risk. Don't like it, don't drink it, get something else. Although to be honest there were VERY few we didn't like ;)

We didn't have to pay for any drinks on board, except for in the dedicated Starbucks (which was not included, although I thought it was). On other ships, including Quantum, the premium coffees on the Promenade were included but on Harmony the promenade cafe didn't have any premium ones and instead you had to go (and pay) at Starbucks if you really wanted something above the normal coffee. We only went to Starbucks the once! 

All of the other usual premium (fresh OJ) and such is included as normal.

As Matt has said on a few podcasts, it really is down to how much you are going to use the package, and of course knowing that you won't have a large drinks bill at the end of the cruise and can just get on with enjoying yourself, and for us this more than makes up for a few $ more.

Starbucks branded coffees are included with the ultimate package on all vessles except for the Oasis class.  On Oasis, this is handled seperately from the drink package.  Preimum coffees are available at some other venues, including the dining rooms.  The below links provide some additional information.  Also note that while the difference your seeing is $2 (as is is for the Navigator Group Cruise in February), it is sometimes more like $5 or $6 more each day.

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/beverage_packages.pdf

http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/category/category/unlimited-alcohol-packages#.V5YZ71UrKM8

http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/category/category/drink-packages#.V5YZ81UrKM8

Life is so much simpler if you just get the beer and wine package.  :lol:  :lol:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :lol:  :lol:

Whisky, in addition to being quite tasty, has the additional advantage over beer of being able to enjoy more rounds before looking for the nearest restroom.  This makes me sound very lazy.

We'll be on Freedom of the seas, so that means starbucks is included?? I didn't even know!

On Royal Caribbean ships that do not have a freestanding Starbucks kiosk (all ships except for Oasis class), certain unlimited drink packages can be used to pay for Starbucks beverages. These packages include the Royal Replenish and Ultimate alcohol package.

So in reading this thread, I decided to check my reservation online.  They are offering the 20% off drink packages.  It's not 20% though, it's 2%.  I have two questions:

I already purchased the premium package for myself when I booked a few months ago (I like to prepay things as much as possible).  At that time, it was advertised as $57/day including gratuities.  I am doing an 8 night cruise, I was charged $456.  Now that they are offering the 20% off, the premium package is $46 a day and the ultimate package is $48 a day, which is 20%.  But when you add them into your cart, they add 18% gratuity, so premium ends up costing $434.24 and ultimate ends up costing $453.12.  Crap like this annoys the hell out of me.  

My first question is why when I bought was gratuity included and now that it's on sale it's not?  If or when this sale ends, I am assuming it would go back to $57 a day inclusive, so this is really just a 2% sale.  I imagine if it was $57 a day plus 18%, which is what they imply with this sale, then a lot less people would buy it.  Even myself, a decent drinker, I don't think I could hit almost $70 a day in drinks for 8 days straight without really trying.  Some of the people we are traveling with have OBC, so they were waiting to purchase drink packages on board so they would use the credit towards it.  The deal I bought didn't include OBC which is why I didn't wait.  This slight discount now isn't going to persuade them to buy it now, assuming they can get it on board for $57 inclusive.

Now my 2nd question.  I already paid $456 for a package that would now cost me $434.24 with this "sale".  I don't care about the $22.  At this point, can I just upgrade myself from premium to ultimate?  With the sale price on ultimate, that higher package is actually $2.88 cents less than what I already paid.  I can't seem to figure it out on the website, so I suppose I have to call?  (I'm not a caller, I hate calling, lol).  Thanks folks.  

You're correct in that one of the ways RCCL plays with beverage package pricing is with the tax.  I too find it a bit annoying as it takes an extra step to spot the deal.  As you see in the ultimate vs premium pricing change though, sometimes within this manufactured complexity, we find legitimate price changes. 

In terms of changing your package, yes, I'd say calling is probably your best bet, but the good news is that if you used a travel agent, you can have them do the work for you.  Another option, which is admittedly a gamble, is to ask them to honor this once on board and make the change then.  This is easy for a lot of things (on board adjustments with guest services), but in this case, I'd email your TA so they can do the heavy lifting for you, or give RCCL a ring if you booked directly.

Can someone let me know what the ultimate package price is on the US site with the 20% off? I'm pretty sure they made a mistake on the Canadian site.  ( it was 86 CAD per day, now its 59 CAD per day.. .which is a lot more than 20%)

Royal Caribbean has stopped really advertising the normal price, but at last check it was $69.62 per person, per day: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/royal-caribbean-beverage-packages

So I called, and thankfully it was no big deal, the woman on the phone was very nice and said of course you should switch to ultimate, it is cheaper than what you already paid.  Of course she couldn't just switch me though, she had to charge me for the new price and issue me a refund of the old price, with the new charge being immediate and the refund taking 5 days, but whatever, she was very friendly.

So I guess this 20% sale is really more of a sale on the ultimate package, since they are $2 a day difference with this sale, instead of the normal $10 or so. Other than the bottled wine discount, the only other differences between ultimate and premium are squeezed juices and specialty coffee.  Can anyone clue me in on where on the ship I would be getting these?  I am going to be on Freedom.  In Windjammer for breakfast, I am assuming they have a juice station and a coffee station like any other buffet that anyone can use, so where am I getting my upgraded coffee and juice?  Fresh squeezed OJ compared to concentrated out of a machine are not even comparable.   

So I called, and thankfully it was no big deal, the woman on the phone was very nice and said of course you should switch to ultimate, it is cheaper than what you already paid.  Of course she couldn't just switch me though, she had to charge me for the new price and issue me a refund of the old price, with the new charge being immediate and the refund taking 5 days, but whatever, she was very friendly.

So I guess this 20% sale is really more of a sale on the ultimate package, since they are $2 a day difference with this sale, instead of the normal $10 or so. Other than the bottled wine discount, the only other differences between ultimate and premium are squeezed juices and specialty coffee.  Can anyone clue me in on where on the ship I would be getting these?  I am going to be on Freedom.  In Windjammer for breakfast, I am assuming they have a juice station and a coffee station like any other buffet that anyone can use, so where am I getting my upgraded coffee and juice?  Fresh squeezed OJ compared to concentrated out of a machine are not even comparable.   

I believe in the MDR, you have to ask specifically for the fresh squeezed juices but not sure about the Windjammer. 

Specialty coffee you can get from Cafe Promenade, and I think there might be some specialty coffees like espresso that you can order in the MDR after your meal that would be included? Someone can correct me on this.

You can also get sparkling bottled water with the Ultimate package, which I personally find appealing. 

Specialty coffee you can get from Cafe Promenade, and I think there might be some specialty coffees like espresso that you can order in the MDR after your meal that would be included? Someone can correct me on this.

While I can't speak to the coffee-flavored sugar-shakes that Matt lives off of (I know, I'm the odd one out here), On RCCL and X I order espresso in the MDR and that is included in packages, but would otherwise cost somewhere around $2.5/3.

While I can't speak to the coffee-flavored sugar-shakes that Matt lives off of (I know, I'm the odd one out here), On RCCL and X I order espresso in the MDR and that is included in packages, but would otherwise cost somewhere around $2.5/3.

Nectar of the gods

• 3 weeks later...

I believe in the MDR, you have to ask specifically for the fresh squeezed juices but not sure about the Windjammer.

You can also get sparkling bottled water with the Ultimate package, which I personally find appealing.

This varies from ship to ship, but typically you go up to a bar or beverage station to order the fresh squeezed orange juice. On other ships, the have there machine set up near the entrance to the WJ.

Just to be clear ....

If I get the ULTIMATE PACKAGE, that will include Starbucks coffee (not specialty coffee drinks) on the FREEDOM OF THE SEAS?

Maybe. They may have switched to Seattle's Best, but your favorites drinks from Starbucks or their equivalent will be available and included.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Mine is that after 7 days of ordering and drinking anything I dang well pleased, my bar tab was still several hundred dollars less than 2 drink packages would've cost my wife and I. I was actually very surprised to realize that there were bartenders who didn't actually charge you for every drink once you build that relationship. There were times we sat at R Bar and had several rounds, and my tab was for ONE drink. A very generous tip led to this becoming a nightly occurrence. 😜ðŸ¹â›´

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Mine is that after 7 days of ordering and drinking anything I dang well pleased, my bar tab was still several hundred dollars less than 2 drink packages would've cost my wife and I. I was actually very surprised to realize that there were bartenders who didn't actually charge you for every drink once you build that relationship. There were times we sat at R Bar and had several rounds, and my tab was for ONE drink. A very generous tip led to this becoming a nightly occurrence. â›´

That's exactly what happened to us on Navigator back in '09 --- My sisters put the "make" on the bartender to the point that all four of us (my sisters, mother and I) were well taken care of ........ and so was the bartender with a MAJOR tip.....

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Mine is that after 7 days of ordering and drinking anything I dang well pleased, my bar tab was still several hundred dollars less than 2 drink packages would've cost my wife and I. I was actually very surprised to realize that there were bartenders who didn't actually charge you for every drink once you build that relationship. There were times we sat at R Bar and had several rounds, and my tab was for ONE drink. A very generous tip led to this becoming a nightly occurrence. â›´

I think it is more difficult than many think to actually break even on the drink package.  Your story is why I generally don't get the drink package, especially with the advent of the drink cards.

(This isn't directed to you, just the bartender).  This behavior makes me uncomfortable.  The bartender is basically stealing from the ship and the company when giving away free drinks. If it was just one drink to one person, well, I get that, but multiple rounds to multiple people ... wouldn't that be called embezzlement in the corporate world?

On the other hand we have always tipped the server, the room attendant , the coffee bar  and the bartenders VERY early in the cruise as well as at the end and its amazing the service you will get as well as the rapport you will establish.   Can"t tell you how many times we will walk up to the bar, or table or coffee bar and the beverages or perks in the room will be ready or done.  Especially knowing when the tips are all they work for in essence.  Can"t say that we ever got free drinks but I will admit they were never lite or watered  down.  

Bill, speaking as someone who has tended bar in the past, I can understand your discomfort. I also know that any bar operator understands the way the world works, and doesn't have a problem with it, or they would be counting every drop, like they do in a chain restaurant, or ball park. Or serving drinks from airline bottles as they do in South Carolina.