Chef's Table Updates (or not)?

cruisellama

I haven't gone more than once a year. But from comparing notes with others who've gone the same year and on different ships, across multiple years, it's become apparent that the Chef's Table menu on Royal is now more of a "best of the specialty venues" event. There may be some very slight variation from what's served in the specialty restaurants, but overall the menu offerings are regularly found in CK (the smoked tomato soup, and the lobster salad with hearts of palm), Jamie's Italian (the fettuccine with truffle cream sauce), and Wonderland (they regularly serve The World for dessert now). The only things that might be originals / chef creations would be the entrees (branzino, steaks, etc.) but I have a feeling those are also options in Chops or one of the other specialty venues like 150 Central Park these days.

When I sailed on Freedom and did Chef's Table, it was fantastic because I'd never been on another ship and hadn't experienced their specialty options or CK. After doing a sailing with CK dinner every night, and trying Wonderland and Jamie's, CK has lost a lot of its luster since I can get much of the same food for a lot less.

Where CK still has value, imo, is in the wine pairings. You get a lot of wine in that meal for a heck of a lot less than you'd pay buying by the glass. And it's been paired very well. My meal had only one pairing I didn't care for, but that's purely because it was a cabernet and I just don't like any cab, full stop.

2 hours ago, JLMoran said:

I haven't gone more than once a year. But from comparing notes with others who've gone the same year and on different ships, across multiple years, it's become apparent that the Chef's Table menu on Royal is now more of a "best of the specialty venues" event. There may be some very slight variation from what's served in the specialty restaurants, but overall the menu offerings are regularly found in CK (the smoked tomato soup, and the lobster salad with hearts of palm), Jamie's Italian (the fettuccine with truffle cream sauce), and Wonderland (they regularly serve The World for dessert now). The only things that might be originals / chef creations would be the entrees (branzino, steaks, etc.) but I have a feeling those are also options in Chops or one of the other specialty venues like 150 Central Park these days.

When I sailed on Freedom and did Chef's Table, it was fantastic because I'd never been on another ship and hadn't experienced their specialty options or CK. After doing a sailing with CK dinner every night, and trying Wonderland and Jamie's, CK has lost a lot of its luster since I can get much of the same food for a lot less.

Where CK still has value, imo, is in the wine pairings. You get a lot of wine in that meal for a heck of a lot less than you'd pay buying by the glass. And it's been paired very well. My meal had only one pairing I didn't care for, but that's purely because it was a cabernet and I just don't like any cab, full stop.

Thanks.  Reason I asked was -- We had done them on Oasis (pre-Amp) and Liberty a couple years apart, and they were definitely different menus.  When we sailed Celebrity within the same calendar year, it was the same menu despite different ships (Daniel Boulud menu).  Since I have multiple RC cruises next year, wondering if we'd see the same menu across the trips.  If the same, I would do only one, and not purchase early reservations.

On 3/30/2021 at 8:52 AM, smokeybandit said:

Random hijack of the thread. Are they able to cater to dietary restrictions (ie, gluten) at chef's table? Or is it pretty much an as-is thing?

They cater to food restrictions very well. I have celiac and they always do gluten-free foods for me, including breads.  Once a friend of mine did not like seafood, and they accommodated for them.  My husband does not drink so he did not have any wine but still enjoyed the experience.  All the meals I have had at Chef's Table have been different.   The people, wine pairing and experience are worth it to me, no matter what they serve.

I've seen example menus published prior to cruises, but you really don't know what will be offered until you sign up.  I find Royal's to still be a pleasant surprise while Celebrity's has become predictable by centering on Daniel Boulud's culinary offerings.  Repetitious if you sail more than 1/yr.

On 3/30/2021 at 5:52 PM, smokeybandit said:

Random hijack of the thread. Are they able to cater to dietary restrictions (ie, gluten) at chef's table? Or is it pretty much an as-is thing?

I had no problems requesting no shellfish. They gave me a different dish a couple times and it was delicious. Make sure to note it ahead of time when you make the reservation; don't tell them as you walk in.

• 1 month later...