Group event on ship

Hi all

im trying to plan my wedding which is on day 6 of the cruise offshore in Italyand long story short I’m wanting to plan an event on day 7 which is a sea day for around 40 people. But it seems royal can’t do any sort of event until 10:30pm

we would be paying for their drinks and food etc.

We’ve also tried having an event on the ship on day 6 on Allure of the Seas but again they can’t do this until after 10:30

All we require is 2 barmen and a DJ ?

has anyone had any experience of events? 

Are you making these requests through Royal's wedding planning service, or as direct requests to Royal through "normal" channels? I can say that I definitely saw a wedding gathering on Anthem of the seas in the mid-afternoon, on a sea day, in the Music Hall. What I don't remember is whether that was just the ceremony or if there was any reception-type activity afterward. That was on my last trip to Bermuda in 2019, I think I mentioned it in my live blog of that trip (third link in my signature). I have some vague memory that they were doing the reception later that night, so maybe there is some restriction with party-type events (as opposed to a wedding ceremony with no alcohol served or music being played).

Thanks for your response! We are planning our wedding completely independently as royal don’t offer this service for European ports. I believe My US travel agent is in contact with the events team as weddings won’t deal with us. 

useful  insight though JL

Do you have a "group" on board (IE officially booked through as a royal group vs. just a bunch of individual reservations?)

I did a work group about 2 years ago, 100 people, 40 odd cabins and we had a group co-ordinator assigned who offered to set up things like what you are describing.

We had the crown lounge (the frisbee up on top) reserved for something like 7-8pm one night for a cocktail party, this was on Mariner of the Seas.

6 hours ago, J_Keeble said:

Hmm I'm unsure this is Covid related. it seems royals events team are about as much use as a chocolate fire guard

As others have stated, the groups department can help here. If you don't have a group, maybe it's not too late to convert the bookings to a group? Although, I think they all will need to be part of your agent/agency first.

I have personally worked with the groups / events department back in 2016 when I did something similar (just took a cruise to destination & married on island) they aren't easy to work with. This is where a travel agent is worth their weight in gold, from knowledge of what can and cannot happen to dealing with the "no contact this person - no that person - send an email to blackhole@rccl(dot)com, et cetera, et cetera. It was added stress I didn't need while planning a destination wedding. We had a wedding planner but didn't go the travel agent route, dumb mistake. 

Good Luck & Congratulations! 

My US Travel agent has secured group rates and we are in the process of all booking up. around 20 cabins in total so 40 guests.

she's tried to get some information but has been told what I said in the first post that there are only certain times which seem very very restrictive.

all I want I a couple of barmen and a DJ in a venue ? :L

Do you think it is possible on a sea day then @Matt they have said it can be done but not till after 10:30pm zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

@J_Keeble You're not missing something. Venues are limited because many are being used throughout the day.  So you at the mercy of what's available.

Given the DJ requirement, that may also limit what's available since not all venues can do that.

I know it may seem simple, but you are competing against other groups onboard and regularly scheduled events for time.

21 minutes ago, Matt said:

@J_Keeble You're not missing something. Venues are limited because many are being used throughout the day.  So you at the mercy of what's available.

Given the DJ requirement, that may also limit what's available since not all venues can do that.

I know it may seem simple, but you are competing against other groups onboard and regularly scheduled events for time.

We ran into that with ours .. there was a line of about 50 people waiting at the elevator bank for us leave so they could start Karaoke ...

5 hours ago, J_Keeble said:

Where were you waiting? and did you have an event?

We had our company happy hour in the viking crown from about 7 to 8 pm so they roped it off and had it blocked just for us. 

Event was good, cocktails and snacks but starting about 7.30 there were people coming up to secure seats for the 8pm Karaoke, Royal kept them all out of the "lounge" area but making them wait in the elevator lobby to the side but it was still a bit weird and as soon as 8pm hit they were all piling in to grab their seats.

Luckily most of our group could see the writing on the wall and we were basically gone by 7.55 so nobody was run down in the rush.

1 hour ago, jticarruthers said:

We had our company happy hour in the viking crown from about 7 to 8 pm so they roped it off and had it blocked just for us. 

Event was good, cocktails and snacks but starting about 7.30 there were people coming up to secure seats for the 8pm Karaoke, Royal kept them all out of the "lounge" area but making them wait in the elevator lobby to the side but it was still a bit weird and as soon as 8pm hit they were all piling in to grab their seats.

Luckily most of our group could see the writing on the wall and we were basically gone by 7.55 so nobody was run down in the rush.

That would upset me honestly, the prices for these events aren't cheap and to feel uncomfortable...I would have complained. They could have suggested a different time for your event, or shifted karaoke by 30 minutes to avoid that. I understand Royal did all they could to keep everyone out of your event but, idk... I am just picturing the conference room awkwardness where the next group is standing around the hallway waiting for current occupants to leave.

2 hours ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

That would upset me honestly, the prices for these events aren't cheap and to feel uncomfortable...I would have complained. They could have suggested a different time for your event, or shifted karaoke by 30 minutes to avoid that. I understand Royal did all they could to keep everyone out of your event but, idk... I am just picturing the conference room awkwardness where the next group is standing around the hallway waiting for current occupants to leave.

Yeah I had a little of that reaction but I also know from working with the planners (I was our group lead) that there really aren't a lot of "dead" times on the ship ... its amazing how many events are happening all over the place and we really wanted the crown at sunset (so I might have my times off slightly, its been a bit) so I think they did their best to accommodate everyone.

19 minutes ago, jticarruthers said:

Yeah I had a little of that reaction but I also know from working with the planners (I was our group lead) that there really aren't a lot of "dead" times on the ship ... its amazing how many events are happening all over the place and we really wanted the crown at sunset (so I might have my times off slightly, its been a bit) so I think they did their best to accommodate everyone.

I'm sure having that view was worth the few minutes of 'awkwardness'. We've done the Viking Crown at sunset, it's awesome. I actually love the views at night too, looking over the clam pool deck and sea at night.