A change in the final payment date is needed for cruises whose home port falls under the jurisdiction of the CDC

Given the recent statements by the CDC shouldn't RCG, like other cruise lines, either cancel or shorten the dates for final payments from 90 days prior to sailing to more like 45 from ports like Cape Liberty in New Jersey. Cruises from Bayonne have no chance of being opened up to cruise ship traffic this summer:

In New Jersey, the number of new infections over the past month has risen by 37%

In the past 2 weeks, New Jersey reported 647 new COVID-19 cases per 100,000 residents.

New York has done only slightly better, averaging 548 new cases per 100,000 residents.

Even though vaccination rates have accelerated, rising coronavirus infection rates in New Jersey and New York have made them the TOP TWO states for infections per capita

The situation in New York and New Jersey is reflective of the national one, as case numbers have begun to rise. Two weeks ago the U.S. was averaging 54,000 new cases a day—now that number is 62,000, according to AP.

At this point, continuing to act as though sailings from Cape Liberty this summer could possibly occur is at best a very weak and costly mask to currently booked passengers.  It's time for RCG to show some consideration for its customers.

I wouldn't mind a little extra time to decide but being someone with a September cruise out of Bayonne I'm currently all-in anyway. If my quick and dirty math is correct, currently the same room (Grand Suite) for September 2022 is 28% higher so I need a Royal cancellation to shift and preserve the price. With that said, I'd much rather shift my $500 deposit than over $4000.

Then again, if it sails and there is a restriction I'm not thrilled with, like mask while sitting at pool, I'll be sitting on a $4000+ voucher.

Luckily I expect by July (my final payment) we will know a lot more than we do now. 

We have a cruise in August from Port Canaveral, and i checked with our TA last week to check on the final payment and ours is still in May.  I totally get what Royal is doing and I really want to cruise, but i think the passengers need to have some clarity.   We still have cruise with confidence, but it would be nice if they changed the final payment dates as a good will gesture to not have additional money tied up.  For us, May is still a ways a way, so i'm not stressing too much.  Things can change greatly in a month so maybe we'll get some information sooner than later.

I'm not so worried about it for my cruise (we have an FCC to apply), but we are cruising with other parties that don't have as much financial flexibility and we all have NRD cabins*.  Our current plan is to mke final payment when it is due and let the chips fall where they may.  We figure we have the following "worst case" outcomes.

1. Royal Cancels the cruise and we get all our money back

2. We go on the cruise as planned.  

I think our cruise could still happen if the CDC provides a path to cruising, since we have stops in Labadee and Perfect Day.  We may lose Jamaica, but i'd be fine with an extra sea day or an extra stop at a private island.

Stay Safe

*we are thinking about the future and determining if we will continue to do NRD bookings, but for us, we like the lower price and we have started to do GTY cabins so I am not sure if refundable deposits are in our future.  We also don't change plans since our work schedules are flexible and we generally have 4-5 trips on the calendar at time so once we pick something, we stick with it unless an actual emergency occurs.

1 hour ago, MaritimeR&R said:

It's time for RCG to show some consideration for its customers.

They would tell you they have done just with with the Cruise with Confidence program.

My advice is if you CwC doesn't sit well with you, cancel before final payment.  If the cruise does end up going, you can always rebook later (albeit at perhaps a higher price).

42 minutes ago, Matt said:

They would tell you they have done just with with the Cruise with Confidence program.

My advice is if you CwC doesn't sit well with you, cancel before final payment.  If the cruise does end up going, you can always rebook later (albeit at perhaps a higher price).

And I would say, they are wrong.

Perhaps when you were allowed to Lift and Shift there was some indication of customer consideration, but not now. You can only do that if RCG cancels. Otherwise, it costs you.

I have an upcoming cruise on Oasis out of Bayonne in August. It was booked in Nov. of 2019 long before Covid19 was an issue.

There has never been the opportunity to Lift and Shift this cruise; to cancel and rebook for August of 2022 would cost me TWICE what I am currently paying for my NRD GS (very few sailings next year are cheaper). Back in Nov of 2019,  I moved my sailing by one week less than a week after I booked it in order to accommodate my granddaughter's softball schedule, so they added another $200 change fee to my $500 deposit.  I will be out that money OR I can give them another $4,000+ and wait for them to cancel. They already have thousands of my dollars for sailings that did not happen and were lifted to 2022.

RCG knows Bayonne is a no go for this summer, just like they knew the 11 and 12 night sailings on Anthem back in Jan of 2020 that those of us booked on 2 and 3 of those sailings, like myself, had to wait on even though their sailing was not going to be. It's time RCG started engaging in fair business practices. If they were US Flagged, requiring full payment for cruises that the government has already stated will not take place and reiterated just this past week would have them in court and paying some hefty fines.

Perhaps when you were allowed to Lift and Shift there was some indication of customer consideration, but not now. You can only do that if RCG cancels. Otherwise, it costs you.

It doesn't cost you. You can cancel with CwC and get 100% fcc. No money lost, and you can use it to book a different cruise.

RCG knows Bayonne is a no go for this summer

I disagree. I'm not saying I think there's 100% chance, but things are changing every day with new reports, new recommendations, etc.

In January 2021 I never would have believed how quickly the vaccine could be rolled out, or that we'd have this many cruises to choose from this summer.

Don't get me wrong, I know what you mean that your cruise is doubtful. 

they added another $200 change fee to my $500 deposit.  I will be out that money OR I can give them another $4,000+ and wait for them to cancel.

Based on your comments, this seems like a no brainer decision.

Take CwC for your deposit and cancel the cruise.

Wait things out and book another cruise maybe next year or perhaps one of the Adventure or Vision of the Seas sailings from this year.

And I would say, they are wrong.

I have an upcoming cruise on Oasis out of Bayonne in August. It was booked in Nov. of 2019 long before Covid19 was an issue.

There has never been the opportunity to Lift and Shift this cruise; to cancel and rebook for August of 2022 would cost me TWICE what I am currently paying for my NRD GS (very few sailings next year are cheaper). Back in Nov of 2019,  I moved my sailing by one week less than a week after I booked it in order to accommodate my granddaughter's softball schedule, so they added another $200 change fee to my $500 deposit.  I will be out that money OR I can give them another $4,000+ and wait for them to cancel. They already have thousands of my dollars for sailings that did not happen and were lifted to 2022.

RCG knows Bayonne is a no go for this summer, just like they knew the 11 and 12 night sailings on Anthem back in Jan of 2020 that those of us booked on 2 and 3 of those sailings, like myself, had to wait on even though their sailing was not going to be. It's time RCG started engaging in fair business practices. If they were US Flagged, requiring full payment for cruises that the government has already stated will not take place and reiterated just this past week would have them in court and paying some hefty fines.

Then just cancel now and get your money back, if you are so sure there is no chance of going. 
Take your NRD as FCC and move on. 

36 minutes ago, Matt said:

In January 2021 I never would have believed how quickly the vaccine could be rolled out, or that we'd have this many cruises to choose from this summer.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/29/nyregion/new-york-covid-vaccine-eligible.html

To @Matt's point, New York just announced that people 30 and older can get the vaccine starting tomorrow (March 30th) and all adults starting April 6th. 

I'm sure many other states will be opening up vaccine eligibility based on their inventory, and here in KY, we are already starting to see where some vaccine sites have more supply than demand, mostly out in the more rural areas, but once site had about 2000 available appointments that they were trying to get filled.