St. Martin - Millennium!!

esmoov

For the benefit of everyone on this forum, I decided to book the June 26th Millennium cruise sailing from St. Martin to BVI, St. Lucia and Barbados. 50% capacity, verandas only. As of right now everyone over 18 needs to be vaccinated, PCR test 120 hours before the cruise and everyone 2y and older to have a rapid test by Celebrity prior to boarding. Ship departs at 10:00 pm.  I am sure all of these protocols will change before we set sail. Millennium is currently off the coast on Ensenada and I do not know if it has a full crew as right now.  Hopefully it will have a full staff and get through the Panama Canal in time! Let me know if you are on board. I would offer everyone a drink but we are all required to buy the drink package now so I guess we can order round together!

Important Note:

Saint Martin now requires a vig of $30 per adult and $10 per child every time you enter the island - with an application submitted within 3 days of entry  This government run "visitors protection plan" is supposed to cover any expense related to a positive COVID test / quarantine / medical treatment etc. Your private trip insurance policy does NOT count.  I emailed just now to find out if a cruise passenger has to pay this once or twice- since the way the website reads- a new $30 and application needs to be submitted for every entry. https://www.sxmprotectionplan.com/#CONTACT

I would be willing to wager that Celebrity has negotiated (or is actively negotiating) with St. Maarten to require just one fee, and that it will come out with the final protocols around 30 days before sail date. This sounds very similar to how things are being run in Bermuda for immunized visitors, and I would expect that final protocols will look very similar between the two.

23 hours ago, esmoov said:

For the benefit of everyone on this forum, I decided to book the June 26th Millennium cruise sailing from St. Martin to BVI, St. Lucia and Barbados. 50% capacity, verandas only. As of right now everyone over 18 needs to be vaccinated, PCR test 120 hours before the cruise and everyone 2y and older to have a rapid test by Celebrity prior to boarding. Ship departs at 10:00 pm.  I am sure all of these protocols will change before we set sail. Millennium is currently off the coast on Ensenada and I do not know if it has a full crew as right now.  Hopefully it will have a full staff and get through the Panama Canal in time! Let me know if you are on board. I would offer everyone a drink but we are all required to buy the drink package now so I guess we can order round together!

You're on the hook for a live blog ?.

My reading of the requirement is that if you are transiting the island, that is enter and leave on the same day, then you don't need to purchase this insurance. 

Sooo, if you fly in on the day of the cruise and fly out the afternoon that the cruise ends, then you are in the clear.

So we are flying in the day prior, notwithstanding that the ship sets sail at 10:00pm.  However I thought that this was important given that St. Martin flights are like one per day.  The government of Sint Maarten just emailed me back and said that the insurance is not necessary if staying less than 24hours.  It looks like I may have to pay.  Also today, the airport in Saint Maarten just started an in-airport (parking lot) rapid test lab for $110 per test in order to re-enter the U.S.  [would have better if they put it in that bar at the end of the runway] https://www.sxmairport.com/includes/pdfs/Laboratory_services_SXM.pdf .  I would note that per the government website there had been only one lab offering the rapid test on the island and it was NOT OPEN ON SATURDAY or SUNDAY.  Thus unless the cruise line was testing you (Celebrity is supposedly testing all cruisers before debark included in your cruise fair), you would have had to wait until Monday - if you could get an appointment, if planing on staying post cruise.  This is also a very useful sit for finding a COVID test any where in the world-   http://www.rapidtesttravel.com.

On 3/27/2021 at 4:12 PM, esmoov said:

We are on that cruise also. We'll see you on board!

We are both vaccinated. The fly in the ointment for us is the PCR requirement prior to arrival. Locally here no one will commit to a certain time for results. As present we are planning to get tested at several places in hopes that one of them comes back in time.

Good stuff esmoov. I entered Fort Lauderdale and PCR and got probably a dozen locations that were close enough to me to make sense. None of the rapid PCR tests are cheap. Checked the first two on the list and prices were right around $200 or a shade below.

The linked web site is very easy to use and well laid out.

On 3/29/2021 at 5:50 PM, esmoov said:

So we are flying in the day prior, notwithstanding that the ship sets sail at 10:00pm.  However I thought that this was important given that St. Martin flights are like one per day.  The government of Sint Maarten just emailed me back and said that the insurance is not necessary if staying less than 24hours.  It looks like I may have to pay.  Also today, the airport in Saint Maarten just started an in-airport (parking lot) rapid test lab for $110 per test in order to re-enter the U.S.  [would have better if they put it in that bar at the end of the runway] https://www.sxmairport.com/includes/pdfs/Laboratory_services_SXM.pdf .  I would note that per the government website there had been only one lab offering the rapid test on the island and it was NOT OPEN ON SATURDAY or SUNDAY.  Thus unless the cruise line was testing you (Celebrity is supposedly testing all cruisers before debark included in your cruise fair), you would have had to wait until Monday - if you could get an appointment, if planing on staying post cruise.  This is also a very useful sit for finding a COVID test any where in the world-   http://www.rapidtesttravel.com.

Thanks for the info!

We're planning to be on the June 5 cruise and fly in the day before as well. I already have a hotel booked and I'm stoked! Flights were booked through Celebrity.

I'm forcing myself to wait until 30 days prior to the cruise before worrying about how to get all of the tests.  I figure that conditions will change, so there's no point in worrying about it too much now.

That said, here's how I expect things to develop if things continue on their current path:

• Wife and I are both vaccinated already.
  • About May 5, I will start searching for a COVID testing location near my home for the pre-trip test. (many places advertise same day results, so we'll just have to find the best one that is the correct test type.)
  • June 2, get our COVID tests locally.
  • June 4, fly to St. Maarten
  • June 5, depart on Celebrity Millennium
  • During the cruise, I expect Celebrity to set up on board testing for our return home
  • June 12, dock in St. Maarten, catch our flight home.

Of course we all still have questions.  What will change between now and June? What will the protocols be on board and in port? What time should we plan to board the ship? How much exploring can we do in St. Maarten? When will Celebrity open the website for check in?

Regardless of the answers, WE'RE GOING ON A CRUISE IN JUNE! ?

Pursuant to federal law - CARES Act https://www.cms.gov/files/document/FFCRA-Part-43-FAQs.pdf, if you have medical insurance you should not be paying anything for a COVID test that is deemed "medically necessary" - which means that you have one, or more symptoms (i.e. headache, the runs, cough, runny nose, cough lost sense of taste etc) or you were near an infected person - (FYI telling the receptionist that you are going on a cruise likely may not bee deemed a symptom).  As such, if the testing site is asking for your insurance card and cash, red flags should go up.  However, every plan is different and if a lab is out of network you may have to pay first, claim later.

• 1 month later...
On 3/31/2021 at 8:39 AM, steverk said:

Thanks for the info!

We're planning to be on the June 5 cruise and fly in the day before as well. I already have a hotel booked and I'm stoked! Flights were booked through Celebrity.

I'm forcing myself to wait until 30 days prior to the cruise before worrying about how to get all of the tests.  I figure that conditions will change, so there's no point in worrying about it too much now.

That said, here's how I expect things to develop if things continue on their current path:

• Wife and I are both vaccinated already.
  • About May 5, I will start searching for a COVID testing location near my home for the pre-trip test. (many places advertise same day results, so we'll just have to find the best one that is the correct test type.)
  • June 2, get our COVID tests locally.
  • June 4, fly to St. Maarten
  • June 5, depart on Celebrity Millennium
  • During the cruise, I expect Celebrity to set up on board testing for our return home
  • June 12, dock in St. Maarten, catch our flight home.

Of course we all still have questions.  What will change between now and June? What will the protocols be on board and in port? What time should we plan to board the ship? How much exploring can we do in St. Maarten? When will Celebrity open the website for check in?

Regardless of the answers, WE'RE GOING ON A CRUISE IN JUNE! ?

Has Celebrity allowed check-in yet on the June 5th sailing??? I am 51 days away on my sailing and NO check-in as of yet.  Just curious as to whether there are any special arrangements etc?   

7 minutes ago, esmoov said:

Has Celebrity allowed check-in yet on the June 5th sailing??? I am 51 days away on my sailing and NO check-in as of yet.  Just curious as to whether there are any special arrangements etc?   

Nothing yet. 

I'm planning to call them at the 14 day mark if I don't hear something by then.

That said, I fully expect the itinerary to change dramatically.  St. Maarten has recently banned tourists that recently visited Aruba or St. Maarten from transiting through their country. Since those are both on the itinerary, I think Celebrity will have to announce a change soon.

People seeking to travel outside of the US in teh next 12 months or so are going to encounter a lot of uncertainty from the airlines, cruise lines and governments running the travel and leisure show inside their boarders. The best idea is to protect yourself from financial loss if something unexpected happens. Book refundable air fares or book your air with your cruise line of choice.  Expect cruise itinerary changes and just enjoy the ride.

14 hours ago, steverk said:

Nothing yet. 

I'm planning to call them at the 14 day mark if I don't hear something by then.

That said, I fully expect the itinerary to change dramatically.  St. Maarten has recently banned tourists that recently visited Aruba or St. Maarten from transiting through their country. Since those are both on the itinerary, I think Celebrity will have to announce a change soon.

AT least if the port stops are changed or limited, you'll be able to just make circles in the Caribbean while enjoying umbrella drinks!

Check in now available on the app only as of this morning!  Looks much like the check-in for Edge. Passport picture needs to be uploaded. A security photo needs to be uploaded; Address; Emergency Contact; Onboard Expenses credit card number; You have to acknowledge ticket acknowledgment and Health Acknowledgement.  After that you have to select an arrival time in 1/2 hour intervals starting at 12:00pm - 12:30pm and ending the latest 6:00-6:30pm. Each guest in your party can pick a different time slot. The day before the cruise the final feature is activated - "Health & Safety" which asks a series of questions relative to have you experienced the following in the last 14 days: Fever/Chills; Difficulty breathing; Fatigue; Sudden loss of smell; Sore Throat; Nausea / Vomiting.  As a result you will likely need cell service and data in Saint Maarten to pre-board.  There are no special instructions on the app as per luggage drop off etc. 

On 5/10/2021 at 5:10 PM, esmoov said:

Check in now available on the app only as of this morning!  Looks much like the check-in for Edge. Passport picture needs to be uploaded. A security photo needs to be uploaded; Address; Emergency Contact; Onboard Expenses credit card number; You have to acknowledge ticket acknowledgment and Health Acknowledgement.  After that you have to select an arrival time in 1/2 hour intervals starting at 12:00pm - 12:30pm and ending the latest 6:00-6:30pm. Each guest in your party can pick a different time slot. The day before the cruise the final feature is activated - "Health & Safety" which asks a series of questions relative to have you experienced the following in the last 14 days: Fever/Chills; Difficulty breathing; Fatigue; Sudden loss of smell; Sore Throat; Nausea / Vomiting.  As a result you will likely need cell service and data in Saint Maarten to pre-board.  There are no special instructions on the app as per luggage drop off etc. 

Is the new "Muster 2.0" functionality linked, or is it a separate APP?  We saw functionality in the APP prior to our Edge cruise being cancelled last year.  You could listed to the emergency horn tone sequence on the app.

On 5/16/2021 at 11:40 AM, cruisellama said:

Is the new "Muster 2.0" functionality linked, or is it a separate APP?  We saw functionality in the APP prior to our Edge cruise being cancelled last year.  You could listed to the emergency horn tone sequence on the app.

The App shows a la cart links to click- "your assembly station" location with a "find it on deck" link; Next you have a "life jacket instructions" animated video; thereafter you can click to play the "Emergency Horn." The next section is "visit assembly station" which is the same as the "your assembly station." Finally there is the "additional safety tips" video, which is in English, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, French, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean - which explains the alarm, where to find muster station on the back of your door, sea pass; use the stairs not the elevator in the case of the unlikely event of an emergency. You cannot eat, smoke, eat or use your phone during an actual emergency. Your children will be brought to your muster station by the nursery crew based upon their colored bracelet. No open flames; no smoking in state rooms and no throwing cigarette butts over board.

47 minutes ago, esmoov said:

The App shows a la cart links to click- "your assembly station" location with a "find it on deck" link; Next you have a "life jacket instructions" animated video; thereafter you can click to play the "Emergency Horn." The next section is "visit assembly station" which is the same as the "your assembly station." Finally there is the "additional safety tips" video, which is in English, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, French, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean - which explains the alarm, where to find muster station on the back of your door, sea pass; use the stairs not the elevator in the case of the unlikely event of an emergency. You cannot eat, smoke, eat or use your phone during an actual emergency. Your children will be brought to your muster station by the nursery crew based upon their colored bracelet. No open flames; no smoking in state rooms and no throwing cigarette butts over board.

Thanks - good news.   I uploaded the new RCL APP for a November cruise and sounds like they have the same features.  You can watch the safety video and get nostalgic for the new Virtual Muster drill.

Celebrity says no masks indoors or outdoors unless in a crowd if vaccinated.  Wear a mask to the theater or dinner if unvaccinated.   

No excursion restrictions but guests need to follow local protocols of the country being visited.  

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/05/18/celebrity-cruises-will-let-vaccinated-passengers-not-wear-masks-and-will-let-passengers

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

How are everyone's flight arrangements working?   Price & availability?

I booked mine through celebrity just after I booked the cruise.  Paid $600 per person out of Houston. Flying in the day before. As I recall we are saving enough to pay for our hotel. 

I just wanted to touch base on the COVID testing/EHAS (health) visa process.

I had my COVID test at a local CVS pharmacy on Sunday and had my results on Monday.  For US residents, you can take the test up to 120 hours prior to scheduled arrival. Since we're staying in a hotel the night before our cruise, that worked out to Sunday afternoon.

I filled out the EHAS application for entry in to St. Maarten. This took about 15 minutes per person.  I had to purchase their travel insurance for $30 per person since I was staying overnight in St. Maarten. (passengers arriving and leaving the same day as the cruise do not need to purchase the insurance but still must apply for the visa)

The visa was granted within 15 minutes of my submission.

As always, your mileage may vary, but that was my experience this week.

2 hours ago, steverk said:

My Celebrity APP has all of the dinner menus and activities for the week already loaded.  Is this normal for Celebrity or is this new? I've never had so much information before the cruise even starts.

Yes.  But the menus might not be correct.  Your calendar should also start showing thing you've booked pre-cruise like excursions and dinners.  (When you get on-board (in the past) it lost the data until resynching with the ship server)..