Future Cruise Credit for deposit

Heimbig

I have 2 star class suites booked for August 1, 2021 out of Port Canaveral on RCCL.  I have put down a deposit of $3000 for both rooms last year.  Now it appears that this cruise will be cancelled at some point by RCCL.

If I want to cancel the cruise before the final $30,000 payment is due can I use the FCC for the deposit on another cruise I already have booked for Australia in early 2022, or do I just lose the deposit. 

Also has anyone had any luck working with RCCL about delaying their final payment until closer to the cruise so as not to have so much money tied up?

You will not lose the money.  Any money already put down you will get back as an FCC that needs to be applied before April 30, 2022 to any sailing up to September 30, 2022.

It's not clear from your post though if you have already deposited for your Australia cruise next year?  If you have, then your FCC can just go towards paying the balance of that sailing.  If you have not deposited yet, then yes, your FCC can be used as a deposit but a TA may need to have Royal extend the hold while your FCC generate.

If you choose to cancel, the deposit will be refunded as future cruise credit, which can be used for future payment or deposit. It takes time (one week in my experience) for this request to be processed so plan accordingly. Deadline to use was once April 2022. This may have or may be extended. FCC could be used for your Australia reservation. 

If you don’t mind me asking, why such a high deposit?

28 minutes ago, Heimbig said:

Sorry, yes we have already put our deposit on the Feb 2022 cruise.  Also it was a deposit for 10 people for this years cruise.

So then if you cancel under Cruise with Confidence, you will get the entire deposit back and you can then apply it towards your cruise next year (as long as it sails before September 2022).  Keep in mind though the FCCs will be in the passengers name so hopefully you have the same 10 people with you next year.

13 minutes ago, twangster said:

I wouldn't count August cruising out yet.

Yes still possible but don’t get your suitcases out of the attic just yet. $30,000 is a large sum to tie up with Royal, especially if final payment cannot be delayed. (Not sure if this has been allowed) 

To me, making final payment with idea of potentially getting 125% FCC would only be appealing if costs of future sailings will utilize $40,000 in Royal credit before expiration.

7 minutes ago, AlmondFarmer said:

Yes still possible but don’t get your suitcases out of the attic just yet. $30,000 is a large sum to tie up with Royal, especially if final payment cannot be delayed. (Not sure if this has been allowed) 

To me, making final payment with idea of potentially getting 125% FCC would only be appealing if costs of future sailings will utilize $40,000 in Royal credit before expiration.

If Royal cancels then refund is an option.  You are not stuck taking 125% FCC if you don't want or can't use that much FCC.

My May SC cruise cancelled after final payment.  The refund took 9 days.  I turned around and "spent" some of that refund on Adventure from Nassau (but not in SC).

7 minutes ago, AlmondFarmer said:

Yikes...that is a lot of money in FCC to take the 125% if Royal cancels.  With the limited number of Star Class rooms available, unless @Heimbig already has those 10 people booked in on the 2022 cruise in question I definitely wouldn't opt for the 125% in that case.  The 125% FCCs they are offering have to be applied to a booking by April 2022 and the ship has to sail by September 2022 from what I recall.  Since you don't have anything to lose as you will be entitled to a full refund if Royal cancels after the final payment, I would only make that large of final payment if all 10 of you would 100% still sail in August if it happened.  Otherwise when final payment rolls around, just envoke the CWC and get back the deposits as FCCs and you can apply them to the February 2022 cruise.

I agree that I really have nothing to lose by paying for the cruise for August when the final payment is due.  We (all 10 of us) will be headed to Orlando the week before the cruise anyway for Disney and Universal.  I would just hate waiting up to 60-90 days to get my full refund back in $.

I guess the FCC would be a problem as for our Spring 22 cruise to Australia it would only be for my wife and I and not the 10 going this year.

11 minutes ago, Heimbig said:

I guess the FCC would be a problem as for our Spring 22 cruise to Australia it would only be for my wife and I and not the 10 going this year.

That's where it gets complicated since if you cancel before final payment (and if Royal doesn't cancel before then) then you end up with 10 FCCs in all those family members' names that have to be used by the CWC specified time frame (book by April 30th, 2022 and sail by September 30th, 2022).   That's a lot of money to be tied up until you get the refund!

48 minutes ago, Heimbig said:

twangster- I assume that is just a hunch on your part?

Yes.  I have no inside knowledge.

28 minutes ago, Heimbig said:

I agree that I really have nothing to lose by paying for the cruise for August when the final payment is due.  We (all 10 of us) will be headed to Orlando the week before the cruise anyway for Disney and Universal.  I would just hate waiting up to 60-90 days to get my full refund back in $.

I had an A2 Star Class booked for May that cancelled a few weeks ago.  One 3/14 I requested a refund.  On 3/23 my credit company alerted me to the refund received.

This was a clean booking, no FCC applied or prior Lift & Shift which can slow down a refund.   It was paid in full and refunded in full.