I spy with my little eye...Navigator from LA edition

The thing about Port of LA and & Long Beach for out West is besides the airports, "All Freeways Lead to LA."

It is easy to get flights (often multiple per day) from DETroit, MSP Minneapolis, CVG Cincinnati, DFW, LAS vegas, SEAttle, DENver, MCOrlando, MIAmi, ATLanta, JFK, and many other airports

To one of several airports: LAX, LGB, SNA, BUR, ONT.

Approximate drive from airports to the Port of LA (depending on time of day and traffic) are:
Long Beach (LGB ~20 mins); American, Delta, SouthWest, Hawaiian
LAX (~20+ mins); You name the airlines
Santa Ana (Very Close to Disneyland  SNA ~35+ mins); Alaska, Allegiant Air, American, Delta,  Frontier, Southwest, Spirit, Sun Country, Untied
Burbank (BUR ~40 Mins); SouthWest, American, Jet Blue, Alaska, Delta, United
Ontario (ONT ~1 hr); Alaska, Avianca, China Air, Delta, Frontier, Hawaiian, Jet Blue, SouthWest, United, Volaris

Even for an expanded trip:
San Diego (SAN ~ 2hrs); Lots of sights, beaches, and ocean
Palm Springs (PSP ~ 2Hrs+); Take in the sun and culture
Las Vegas (LAS ~5 hrs); Vegas Baby!

And Sightseeing further away:
San Francisco (SFO ~ 6.5 hrs); 
Phoenix (PHX 6.75 hrs);
Salt Lake (SLC ~ 12 Hrs)

For example, SLC (~12 hrs drive to Port of LA) you arrive in SLC, a hub for Delta & United then fly x-Hours + or drive 7 hours to LAS, stay for x-Days during weekday is cheapest, then fly, bus, or drive (5 hrs) a one-way to Port of LA or Disneyland). If you drive from SLC you can stop at Zions National Park and take in the sites. There is so much to do on your way to a B2B 3-4-5 night to turn it into a memorable family, couple, or friends trip.

So lots of points to extend a 3 or 4 day with seeing Mother Nature (beyond what you see on the East Coast), sites, entertainment, and take in your cruise. That makes a 3-4-5 nights more worth the long trip from the East Coast).

Even Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW) is about midway as the Port of LA and Port of Miami about 20 hours. 

In short, there are lots of options to many airports, then drive a rental and 'See The West'. 

(Written by a born and early years raised Mid-Western Boy converted to the West Coast)

Los Angeles is also that much closer to Mexico compared to more Northern CA ports so it's easier to pop down to Ensenada on a 3 night cruise.   That makes for an economical voyage and that means less expensive cruise fares.

I prefer the Long Beach airport when flying in to cruise, much more relaxed experience.

Hoping the Queen Mary hotel is able to reopen.  What an awesome way to kick off a cruise.

If I lived in South Florida or near LA... I would definitely be booked on a ton of 3 and 4 day cruises. I mean, why not?! One day...

I still think the best thing ever is finishing a week of work, taking a half-day on Friday and bouncing over to the port, hopping on a 3 or 4 night cruise to da Bahamas and then back to work on Monday/Tuesday... seriously so awesome and I am jelly of those who have gotten to do that in the past. 

3 hours ago, johnt83 said:

If I lived in South Florida or near LA... I would definitely be booked on a ton of 3 and 4 day cruises. I mean, why not?! One day...

I still think the best thing ever is finishing a week of work, taking a half-day on Friday and bouncing over to the port, hopping on a 3 or 4 night cruise to da Bahamas and then back to work on Monday/Tuesday... seriously so awesome and I am jelly of those who have gotten to do that in the past. 

Hope your dream comes true!  My goal is to visit (via cruising) as many different ports as I can.  I think I would get bored if each cruise I took brought me to the same islands /places to visit.  I may have started my cruise passion a little late in life (hitting the big 65 this year!!) but I am hoping as long as my and DH's health holds out we can spend the next 4 or 5 years planning and enjoying our travels...just the two of us mostly...but also with our children and grandchildren.   

27 minutes ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

Exactly what @Twangster posted about new releases on March 29!  

Good to know others heard that method as well. I wasn't on the board then. Seems like I heard Danny G of Harr Travel say it a few weeks ago in one of his update videos when talking about clients getting their request for the June Bahamas before Tuesday. So I thought it might be a regular pattern.
Does anyone know with any degree of certainty if Travel Agents sometimes get advance notice and/or access? I know we have some on here, but don't know if they can say anything.

13 hours ago, twangster said:

There are limited ports and multiple cruise lines competing for slots so it's not so simple as Royal doing exactly what it wants to do but having to adapt to what is possible. 

What we know so far:

3 night - Ensenada

4 night - Catalina and Ensenada 

5 night - Cabo San Lucas and Ensenada

7 night - Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta

So basically similar to other lines for the same reasons.  There is only so much that is possible from this part of California while keeping the cruises aimed at the target market. 

I think we'll see more 5 night itineraries begin to cycle into the rotation into and beyond the summer of 2022.  

The 3 /4 rotation is the bread and butter of the short cruise market because it captures the crowd that is looking for a weekend getaway.  Keep in mind roughly 50% on any given sailing tend to be new to cruise so the 3 / 4 satisfies this market segment as new guests test cruising to see if they like it.  

Would love to see a few 9 night cruises, opposite the 5 nighters. Could easily add Acapulco and/or La Paz to the 7 day itinerary. But won't get greedy at this point, just glad to have West Coast cruises back in the mix. Hopefully ship #2 will be based in SD.

3 hours ago, Boltswin said:

Would love to see a few 9 night cruises, opposite the 5 nighters. Could easily add Acapulco and/or La Paz to the 7 day itinerary. But won't get greedy at this point, just glad to have West Coast cruises back in the mix. Hopefully ship #2 will be based in SD.

Ship #2? Have you heard something I haven't haha?

I am so glad I happened to check this board today since I had the thought "shouldn't those LA Nav cruises have come out by now?!" and now I am in on the refresh party! 

I visited Catalina for the first time in Nov 2020 and would love to get back there on a Royal ship but the 5-night to Cabo is so much more appealing.. A B2B could be calling me! 

10 minutes ago, DDaley said:

I am so glad I happened to check this board today since I had the thought "shouldn't those LA Nav cruises have come out by now?!" and now I am in on the refresh party! 

I visited Catalina for the first time in Nov 2020 and would love to get back there on a Royal ship but the 5-night to Cabo is so much more appealing.. A B2B could be calling me! 

Welcome to the refresh party! ? Any day now... 

I have never been to Catalina or Ensenada... just Cabo, Mazatlan and PV. I am guessing we are going to do the 4 day or 5 day and stay on the ship even with port visits. Exciting times!

44 minutes ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

I can't believe how many times throughout the day I keep checking for this Navigator info to pop up!!  It's totally insane...but I can't stop!!!

Ostriches Going Crazy GIF by chuber channel

Thanks PPPJJ-GCVAB. Between you, Twangster, JohnT83, SmokeyBandit, and DDaley I don't feel so lonely (or silly) constantly checking, including getting up and checking several times in the middle of each night since midnight Monday.

Every once in a while I take a few moments to check on my RCL stock, but mostly watch RCL cruise videos.
It is getting pretty bad when I can say the next line on a Symphony Full Ship Tour before the host says it.
Can't wait to get back on any '__ of the Seas.'

How bad is it? After several cancels I have a B2B2B on Symphony, Aug~Sep. Only RCL I have been on was a 5-Night Empress including Havana. I am expecting Symphony to be quite a culture shock, but hear terrific things.

My last cruise was just under the wire out of Long Beach returning March 8, 2020. But it was Carnival.
Thus, why I am excited to be at the 'Refresh Party' for NOS.

For our party, I brought chips. The wife swears says she brought the dip. But I don't see any. ?

41 minutes ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

I can't believe how many times throughout the day I keep checking for this Navigator info to pop up!!  It's totally insane...but I can't stop!!!

Ostriches Going Crazy GIF by chuber channel

Totally, I am checking site a few times a day LOL, totally obsessed and waiting for it. I got a feeling it will come out tomorrow!!

I ask for radio silence until sailings are available for booking. Many who are following this thread may be using notifications for alerts of availability and the chatter creates false starts. 
I recognize the irony in posting this request and look forward to further discussions once we all make our booking(s).

For planning purposes this is what my TA can see:

19Nov2021    7 Night Cabo, Vallarta & Mazatlan 
26Nov2021    3 Night Ensenada  
29Nov2021    4 Night Catalina & Ensenada 
03Dec2021    3 Night Ensenada  
06Dec2021    4 Night Catalina & Ensenada 
10Dec2021    3 Night Ensenada  
13Dec2021    3 Night Ensenada  
20Dec2021    4 Night Catalina & Ensenada 
24Dec2021    7 Night Cabo, Vallarta & Mazatlan 
31Dec2021    7 Night Cabo, Vallarta & Mazatlan 

07Jan2022    3 Night Ensenada