CDC reiterates restrictions until November 1st, 2021

34 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

All the intertwined agencies is just just for show. An executive order could free up sailings with the stroke of a pen

No they can't.  Trump tried last year and No Sail Order was extended.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2020/09/29/report-white-house-overrides-cdc-extend-no-sail-order-until-november

5 hours ago, SPS said:

Agreed. I think what's getting lost in the mix here is that the CSO is a CONDITIONAL SAIL ORDER. It is NOT a NO SAIL order. 

I don't think that anyone is expecting that cruises will be free of any/all COVID restrictions before the November 1 date.

What we DO expect to actually "conditionally sail" rather than just being continually denied by the CDC.

But as long as their is no forthcoming guidance or framework from the CDC, then the CSO IS a de facto No Sail Order

7 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

The CDC was never going to lift the order regardless of the decision to embark ships from outside US waters.

Agreed.  Royal is one cruise line.  There are many others including some smaller US companies that have to keep their larger ships grounded.

The CDC isn't punishing all cruise lines because one ship is sailing from Nassau.

6 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Based on that article trump did influence the timing of the  return to sail. Biden could do the same

In retrospect, it did nothing. They extended the No Sail Order, which has since been replaced by the Conditional Sail Order, which has had absolutely no change in the status.

I'm simply pointing out this isn't a Presidential decision that is as simple as a phone call.

CLIA is seeking to mobilize its members and support to get not just one voice, but many voices calling for CSO to be lifted.

9 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

And here I thought political topics, associations or websites aren't allowed. Hmmmm.... ?

25 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:

And here I thought political topics, associations or websites aren't allowed. Hmmmm.... ?

This is from CLIA, and I think everyone here supports cruising restarting.

There is a difference between political discussion (left vs right) and what this is about.

Tony from La Lido Loca has interesting take on this on his YouTube channel. The latest public health emergency order expires on April 21. If it is not renewed the CSO becomes null and void. Given Biden’s new goal of having 200 million vaccinations administered in 100 days there could be reason (both scientific and political) not to renew the public health emergency order.

This may be optimistic but has some merit and is an interesting consideration.

More layers of complexity to the CSO ........ I have heard of the Public Health Emergency (PHE) but was not clear regarding it's origin and the implications of the PHE on the CSO. I did some digging;

The PHE was initially issued by the former HHS Secretary, Alex Azar, January 20th, 2020. Apparently it has a 90 day renewal cycle and it has been renewed on a regular basis - the last renewal done by Azar on January 7th, 2021. Without renewal, it will expire on April, 21st, 2021.

One of the provisions in the PHE states that states will be given 60d notice that renewal is not anticipated so that states can prepare for the transition to normal operations. I found this on a CMS (Medicare)web site as Medicare is operating under a different set of policies and procedures within the scope of the PHE:

The current PHE declaration expires on April 21, 2021, but the Biden Administration has indicated the PHE will likely remain in place throughout 2021 and that states will receive 60 days notice before the end of the PHE to prepare for the end of emergency authorities and the resumption of pre-PHE rules. 

Buzz Kill.

That notice would have had to gone out sometime in late February and we would have heard about it. I suppose it's possible it will not be renewed but, man, the messaging coming from Walenski and Fauci doesn't seem to make that very likely. Another thing is that the PHE declaration by HHS covers a huge range of government activities. The CDC's CSO is quite limited in it's scope so, political pressure to end it is too narrowly focused to not renew the PHE as a means of ending the CSO.  

Random thought here: It seems clear that the CDC's plan, at least at this juncture, is to prevent cruising as long as possible. I wonder what the ramifications would be if a cruise line (RCI or other, or multiple) just decided to go ahead and have cruises starting on a certain date. The CDC doesn't have any sort of enforcement arm, so I'm guessing they would have to work with local police, maybe National Guard to prevent cruises from sailing if a company defies the order. Now, I seriously doubt that any cruise line would attempt this (and I'm not sure how many customers would risk travelling to the port against the CDC's order). This is more of an "I wonder if..." kind of thing. Any thoughts?

The basis of the NSO and what amounts to an extension of it - the CSO - is the PHE. The PHE engages various provisions of Maritime and immigration law - specifically the process by which ports authorize or deny the operations of ships in those ports. That allows enforcement of the no-sail provision by the Department of the Treasury through the USCG.

If that sounds complicated and obtuse, that's because it is. 

1 hour ago, nate91 said:

Random thought here: It seems clear that the CDC's plan, at least at this juncture, is to prevent cruising as long as possible. I wonder what the ramifications would be if a cruise line (RCI or other, or multiple) just decided to go ahead and have cruises starting on a certain date. The CDC doesn't have any sort of enforcement arm, so I'm guessing they would have to work with local police, maybe National Guard to prevent cruises from sailing if a company defies the order. Now, I seriously doubt that any cruise line would attempt this (and I'm not sure how many customers would risk travelling to the port against the CDC's order). This is more of an "I wonder if..." kind of thing. Any thoughts?

My guess is that USCG would seize the ship and the master would face the possibility of losing his license.

On 3/24/2021 at 3:39 PM, monctonguy said:

Wow....that's insane....I mean, I may have pretty much thought and said it...but I was even holding out hope I was wrong.....

My streak seems to be intact.......:(

Makes me a little worried for our Nov cruise...its alot of planning and $ to tie up in hopes that 7 days after the CDC lifts we are good to go.....

Exactly. They would have a tough time ramping up to 100% in 1-2 months let alone 7 days. It looks like 2021 could be out. 

Why is RC still booking this Summer & Fall when CDC says travel canceled till 1 Nov 2021? Seems a lot of Cruisers are putting down Deposits to no avail! I think RC is not being Transparent & is collecting a lot of MONEY. I personally have several cruises canceled because RC keeps cancelling one month with prospects of going the next. Very Misleading.

Of course RC offers their FCC. If you can't find/book a cruise by 9.30.2022 you LOSE! Something to me just isn't Right!

Then there is Double Points, another "perk" to get Deposits. Good Luck with this!

I Definitely want to get back on the Ocean & Enjoy Life like all of us Cruisers are so Looking Forward too!!

21 minutes ago, CPM said:

Why is RC still booking this Summer & Fall when CDC says travel canceled till 1 Nov 2021? Seems a lot of Cruisers are putting down Deposits to no avail! I think RC is not being Transparent & is collecting a lot of MONEY. I personally have several cruises canceled because RC keeps cancelling one month with prospects of going the next. Very Misleading.

Of course RC offers their FCC. If you can't find/book a cruise by 9.30.2022 you LOSE! Something to me just isn't Right!

Then there is Double Points, another "perk" to get Deposits. Good Luck with this!

I Definitely want to get back on the Ocean & Enjoy Life like all of us Cruisers are so Looking Forward too!!

I think Royal (and all other lines) are being as transparent as they need to be.  

Any consumer, that does not know the realities of the market, and books, is responsible for their own decision.

The "sally" dates for the FCCs gets extended periodically as the stoppage drags on.

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

CDC didn't say that. They said their conditional sail order expires Nov 1.

If I'm in error not a problem( miscomprehension of CDC). But I'll stick with Cruises from US Ports not leaving this Summer. I doubt before 1 Nov 2021. My next scheduled is a RC Liberty back/back Sept 2021. I'm 80/20 I won't be going. But I sure HOPE I'M WRONG!!!                     Then if I have any Luck I cruise RC end 25 Feb 2022. 

Lets watch for crew/staff/port logistic movements late July - Sept.   US will probably affirm crew and passenger vaccinations as the "norm" for startup, meaning they'll have to find vaccinated crew and/or find a way to vaccinate incoming crew and get through the "waiting period".