Nuts? Double booked on RCL

Hi - Please tell me I am not nuts.  I just booked June 26 Adventure and am currently booked on June 25 Alaska.  My gut tells me Alaska will get canceled so I want to make sure I am booked on something during the same time.  Both are refundable fares.

I already have my airfare for Seattle, but would move that to Nassau.  

Is anyone else as crazy as me and doing something similar?

I am already reserved on 11/20/21 Symphony this year and 7/1/22 Alaska next year (in case this year's Alaska gets canceled).

I haven't double booked, but I do have lots of "If-then" scenarios and staggered cruises. Eventually I will be back on a ship!!!  

June- Ovation - Alaska - probably not happening ?

August- Explorer - Caribbean  from Galvestion  no idea???

December holiday - Grandeur from Barbados  *fingers and toes crossed*

I am also double booked. Allure 6/20 and now Adventure 6/19.  Allure is fully paid and I will need to pay remainder of full payment on the AOS in a few days. Obviously, I would rather RC cancel the Allure, so that I can get the 125% credit.  Is there any reason I should worry about paying the full payment on Adventure and let the Allure reservation lie until it is cancelled by RC?  Worst case, I can cancel it myself within 48 hours, right?  I am embarrassed to say I am not sure if my deposit refundale for Allure. Is there an easy way to tell? Regardless, the CDC seems to have guaranteed the demise of my Allure cruise on 6/20.

26 minutes ago, josassoc said:

I am also double booked. Allure 6/20 and now Adventure 6/19.  Allure is fully paid and I will need to pay remainder of full payment on the AOS in a few days. Obviously, I would rather RC cancel the Allure, so that I can get the 125% credit.  Is there any reason I should worry about paying the full payment on Adventure and let the Allure reservation lie until it is cancelled by RC?  Worst case, I can cancel it myself within 48 hours, right?  I am embarrassed to say I am not sure if my deposit refundale for Allure. Is there an easy way to tell? Regardless, the CDC seems to have guaranteed the demise of my Allure cruise on 6/20.

On my cruises that are booked with a non-refundable deposit it shows up as a NRD discount on my invoice.

image.png.5e1958a7ff10dd38c7c3e70d788410bb.png

Well if you are nuts, then we join the club....lol

I actually posted similar question not too long ago.  We are double booked for the next two March breaks as so much is up in the air.  Before covid we already had Oasis booked (great price using L&S, we love Oasis class, have yet to be on that ship).  But we (or I) really want to sail Anthem and that is the one that we lost when covid all started.  Plus DH like the advantage of the port being drivable (although still a good 10 hrs).  Obviously the bookings are refundable so we will decide by final payment.  It just lets us keep our options open with being able to price watch and we could grab the staterooms we want.

The biggest problem I find with double booking is that  I don't know what cruise planner items to jump on.  There were great deals last black Friday but didn't go for it as had no idea which one we would get on (if any).

2 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

The biggest problem I find with double booking is that  I don't know what cruise planner items to jump on.

Or in your case flights.  I know that for March break sailings, I forgo the usual booking trends and book those flights as early as possible.  Tracking over the years has shown that flights over March break just go up, never down.

3 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Or in your case flights.  I know that for March break sailings, I forgo the usual booking trends and book those flights as early as possible.  Tracking over the years has shown that flights over March break just go up, never down.

Yes exactly.  Very good point!  To get a decent march break price for the flight, you need to book on opening day.  Last time on Symphony we even booked there and back separately for this reason and did well for holiday flights.  But of course, that's not happening this year (i.e. we "should" be booking flights for 2021 in about 3 weeks). Another factor...

8 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

Yes exactly.  Very good point!  To get a decent march break price for the flight, you need to book on opening day.  Last time on Symphony we even booked there and back separately for this reason and did well for holiday flights.  But of course, that's not happening this year (i.e. we "should" be booking flights for 2021 in about 3 weeks). Another factor...

I'll be booking flight in a few weeks for Oasis March 2022. ?

12 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I'll be booking flight in a few weeks for Oasis March 2022. ?

That's good as definitely best to book right away as you say, if you know you'll be going (and US cruises should be back by then) .  And who knows how costing of flights will be once travel resumes.

For us, we have a few unknowns so probably won't book yet.

• 1 month later...
On 3/26/2021 at 1:36 PM, WannaCruise said:

Yes exactly.  Very good point!  To get a decent march break price for the flight, you need to book on opening day. 

Following up on this @WannaCruise.  I did it.  I stayed true to my usual routine for March break and booked flights this weekend for Oasis 3/13/2022. 

To be honest, I was very torn.  I "think" we have a good chance of going on this one, and my gut tells me that airfare will continue to climb as it always does for spring break.  But then I also waited to wait a bit just in case.  In the end, Hubby came through and decided.  He said I would be kicking myself (like the one year I did wait it out) if we sat by in the coming months to watch prices climb.  He said just to grab in now, one less thing to worry about. 

Because I have so much Delta e-credits (and they are stackable...Yay!), I took pretty much all my e-credits and dumped it into flights for March 2022.  Delta still has their no fee change policy so I figured that worst case scenario is that we cannot go, and I get all my e-credits re-issued back to me again.

For my Allure sailing in December 2021, which I am also very hopeful for, I played a different strategy this weekend.  Because I decided to dump all my e-credits into the flights for the March 2022 sailing, I will be paying out of pocket for Allure in December 2021.  So I decided to use Air2Sea for the first time, and it is great.  I've booked air, it's refundable, I can price adjust if the price drops, and I won't pay for air until cruise final payment.  I wish I could have done this for March 2022 as well but I needed to use up the e-credits and you cannot use those when booking through Air2Sea.  Moving forward though, I think Air2Sea will be the first place I check.

Timely topic.....we are ready to pull the trigger on a 7 night January Navigator sailing from L.A. which happens to be the same exact week as our 11 night Anthem cruise from Bayonne.  The Anthem cruise might happen but probably not for 11 nights or the original destinations we booked.   BUT...I am also considering booking a 2nd Navigator L.A. cruise in March just in case..............how far would that move me up the "crazy" rankings?

Would anyone else consider this?

18 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Following up on this @WannaCruise.  I did it.  I stayed true to my usual routine for March break and booked flights this weekend for Oasis 3/13/2022. 

To be honest, I was very torn.  I "think" we have a good chance of going on this one, and my gut tells me that airfare will continue to climb as it always does for spring break.  But then I also waited to wait a bit just in case.  In the end, Hubby came through and decided.  He said I would be kicking myself (like the one year I did wait it out) if we sat by in the coming months to watch prices climb.  He said just to grab in now, one less thing to worry about. 

Because I have so much Delta e-credits (and they are stackable...Yay!), I took pretty much all my e-credits and dumped it into flights for March 2022.  Delta still has their no fee change policy so I figured that worst case scenario is that we cannot go, and I get all my e-credits re-issued back to me again.

For my Allure sailing in December 2021, which I am also very hopeful for, I played a different strategy this weekend.  Because I decided to dump all my e-credits into the flights for the March 2022 sailing, I will be paying out of pocket for Allure in December 2021.  So I decided to use Air2Sea for the first time, and it is great.  I've booked air, it's refundable, I can price adjust if the price drops, and I won't pay for air until cruise final payment.  I wish I could have done this for March 2022 as well but I needed to use up the e-credits and you cannot use those when booking through Air2Sea.  Moving forward though, I think Air2Sea will be the first place I check.

Thanks for the update and sharing your decision.  Sounds like you did well with flights.  I feel hopeful for March 2022 too for Florida cruises so seems like a good call to use your credits there.  It's good to know about Air2Sea.  I wasn't sure if that works for Canadians, but I heard that you can tie it with final payment.  

If we were certain on our cruise, then we would probably do something similar, since as you say, school holiday flights only climb from release date.  Our issue is that we have no idea which cruise we'll be on (hopefully one of them!).  If we get on Anthem for Dec, then we would go with our Oasis booking for March.  But since Anthem is out of NJ, I have doubt that it will be running this year (unless they do bring it back as planned as it already crew).  But if by final payment for March (i.e. in Dec), if NJ cruises are still not looking great, then we would cancel Anthem and keep Oasis.  If it looks ike Anthem will start up, then we have the option of driving (if required) so flights aren't as much of a bottleneck. There are so many unknowns for us. 

We do have some WestJet credit to use which will work for Florida and we often book flights through one that uses points, but will definitely keep Air2Sea in mind.  It sounds perfect option for the situation now.

15 hours ago, Baked Alaska said:

Did you call them, work with a TA, or use the website, or combination?

I don't like the website because it does not show all availability for me.  I worked with my TA, but calling them directly would have been the other option.  Because when my TA looked, she did not see the flight that I wanted either.  She saw more than the website was showing but not the specific time that I wanted.  She called them for that.

2 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

I wasn't sure if that works for Canadians, but I heard that you can tie it with final payment. 

I have never checked Air2Sea out of a Canadian airport so someone else might have to comment on that.

But yes, it gets tied in with final payment and it shows up as an additional charge on your cruise reservation.

15 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I don't like the website because it does not show all availability for me.  I worked with my TA, but calling them directly would have been the other option.  Because when my TA looked, she did not see the flight that I wanted either.  She saw more than the website was showing but not the specific time that I wanted.  She called them for that.

I have never checked Air2Sea out of a Canadian airport so someone else might have to comment on that.

But yes, it gets tied in with final payment and it shows up as an additional charge on your cruise reservation.

Oh right....you fly out of Detroit right?  That's always an option for us too (I think about a 5hr drive)

22 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

Oh right....you fly out of Detroit right?  That's always an option for us too (I think about a 5hr drive)

Yes, I have not flown out of Canada for over a decade! lol 

And the last time in 2004 didn't even count, because I was going on a land vacation to London and Paris.

Perhaps other Canadians here can comment on if Air2Sea works for flights out of Canada.....

21 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Yes, I have not flown out of Canada for over a decade! lol 

And the last time in 2004 didn't even count, because I was going on a land vacation to London and Paris.

Perhaps other Canadians here can comment on if Air2Sea works for flights out of Canada.....

You got me looking at flights for Oasis.  Do you fly into FLL and then transfer to Miami?

1 hour ago, WannaCruise said:

You got me looking at flights for Oasis.  Do you fly into FLL and then transfer to Miami?

Almost always, I fly into FLL and take Uber/Lyft to Miami.  Even with the transfer factored in (about $40 just Hubby and I and $80 with kids; one way), it is still way cheaper to fly to and from FLL, at least on Delta.  I rarely check other airlines so I cannot comment on that.

For this trip, yes, I am flying DTW-FLL round trip.  At first I had booked a multi-city flight from DTW-MIA; FLL-DTW but then the next morning when I was chatting with someone else on our cruise who flies out of the same airport as me, he got me thinking and I'm actually flying out the Friday night instead for this one.  Ended up saving about $500 even with an extra night hotel stay factored in.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Price it both ways, to Miami or FLL, but often FLL is or has been several hundred cheaper including the uber, shuttle service or Royal transfer.

^^^This^^^ Always price it both ways.  This time around, I even priced out DTW-MIA and then FLL-DTW because the return trip from MIA was the killer.  I think the last time I flew in and out of MIA was back in July 2018.  Since then, FLL has always been cheaper.

2 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Almost always, I fly into FLL and take Uber/Lyft to Miami.  Even with the transfer factored in (about $40 just Hubby and I and $80 with kids; one way), it is still way cheaper to fly to and from FLL, at least on Delta.  I rarely check other airlines so I cannot comment on that.

For this trip, yes, I am flying DTW-FLL round trip.  At first I had booked a multi-city flight from DTW-MIA; FLL-DTW but then the next morning when I was chatting with someone else on our cruise who flies out of the same airport as me, he got me thinking and I'm actually flying out the Friday night instead for this one.  Ended up saving about $500 even with an extra night hotel stay factored in.

^^^This^^^ Always price it both ways.  This time around, I even priced out DTW-MIA and then FLL-DTW because the return trip from MIA was the killer.  I think the last time I flew in and out of MIA was back in July 2018.  Since then, FLL has always been cheaper.

When flying from Toronto, I often find it cheaper to fly to MIA than FLL...at least the times that we were checking.  From Detroit, I only saw the option of flying to FLL, which is why I was asking.  But maybe that's just from the travel site that I use.