Canada Travel Restictions - Feb 2022 ???

I wouldn't hold my breath on these being lifted if I were you.   Travelers coming into Canada currently require a test before they get to the border, a test at the border, then those driving need a 14 day quarantine plan with a commitment to another test at 10 days in, and flyers are required to quarantine in a government appointed hotel for three days while they wait for the results of the test they were given at the airport when they landed - after being released if the test is negative they must finish their 14 day quarantine and must provide a plan to show authorities, they also require another test after 10 days, and police have been tracking down people here who have been violating the conditions of their quarantine.   

None of this seems to suggest that there will be a cruise season north of 49 in the 2021 calendar year.

There is no hint here at travel restrictions being lifted or the border restrictions being relaxed to permit non-essential travel.

Here in Vancouver (and all of British Columbia) we are still restricted to only being with our household bubble.   Numbers are going up with the new variants - which isn't a big deal in itself - but hospitalizations are up, ICU is up, and percent positivity is up.   Hospitals are seeing a concerning number of young people coming in.   My husband and I are in our late 40's and are on track to get our first jab in mid-May.

So...  as far as the border - I honestly can't see restrictions lightening up before September - and by that I don't mean "open" in the pre-covid sense.   There will not be a cruise season in Canada this year.

I'm genuinely concerned and trying to stay positive that we will be able to travel in December for our cruise out of Port Canaveral.   If we have to quarantine for 14 days when we get home I'm not sure we will be able to go.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer.

Only 10% of Canadians have had their first vaccination, and about 2% are fully vaccinated.   Woefully behind most other G7 countries.

1 hour ago, rjac said:

Have our Canadian friends heard anything new regarding the travel ban their government has imposed? Thanks. ? 

Are you referring to the cruise ban in particular or the overall travel ban? 

After a horrific slow start are vaccination program is finally picking up momentum but we are still way behind other countries. I seriously doubt the cruise ban will be rescinded but I think that’s a moot point because of the glacial movement of the CDC to allow ships to cruise from US ports. With regards to the border closures between US and Canada our PM has stated that it will remain closed till numbers on both sides of the border have reached acceptable levels so it’s kind of open ended

Cruise ships don't dock in Canada after October so the February 2022 date was more for show, IMO. 

That being said, I agree with @DJsMrs and @Vancity Cruiser.  Our vaccine rollout has been a disaster.  While it's picking up speed a little, we are in a hole now and I cannot see the borders opening until most of the population is vaccinated.  When is that going to be is anyone's guess.  Feds are optimistic that by September everyone will have at least one dose, some provinces feel that by July 1st, they can vaccinate most of their population with one. 

But then there's the other problem here where most of Canada has opted to extend the 2nd dose to 4 months.  So let's be optimistic and say that most can get one by July 1st, 4 months from that is November 1st.  The cruise season (in Canada) is done by then.  I cannot see borders opening too soon before that, unless we get miracle, or a major supply from elsewhere.

I just heard an interview with Barry Penner on the radio - he's a legal advisor to CLIA and he said even he doesn't expect anything to happen in this calendar year in Canada.   However, there is a bill in the US senate right now that would allow ships to bypass Canada for a limited amount of time... but he's trying to work with the gov't to allow a technical stop of a 4 hour anchor drop off Victoria that would satisfy current US law requiring the foreign stop.   Of course the concern is that ships may never come back to Vancouver/Victoria which would devastate those cities in terms of tourism dollars spent.

Alaska is obviously pushing hard to get the bill passed - 60% of tourism dollars spent in Alaska come via cruise ship... so they really need to get the ball rolling.

However, I now see it was confirmed the conditional sale order will, in fact, remain in place until Nov 1 this year... so who knows - this may all be for nothing if ships can't even sail out of US ports.

Maybe 2022 is a much more realistic time frame in terms of sailing out of the US despite what all of us had hoped for and thought would happen.

I think the CDC has this near the bottom of their priority list - despite all of us, and the cruise lines desperately looking for a path to return to cruising.    In my mind I'm holding off giving up all hope until July'ish.   I think they've literally got their hands full managing the vaccinations of so many Americans and hopefully once that settles down into a more routine event they can start to look at travel again.  

• 4 months later...

I heard that the Canada border might have partially reopened, but intrusive restrictions still exist. My husband and I are Americans and plan to visit our relatives who live in Vancouver. Perhaps after that, we will go on a trip organized by https://tourstoniagarafalls.com/ to Niagara Falls. Initially, I doubted whether we should go, but I talked to some friends who crossed the border, and they told me that there would be no problems if we were vaccinated. We got vaccinated, and now we pack. I hope that the whole pandemic situation will soon pass, and we will be able to travel without fear.

As of August 9 the Cdn border is open to vaccinated Americans - and all visitors (vaccinated or not) must present a PCR test (NOT antigen) that was administered within 72 hours of arrival for non-essential travel.    If visiting for non-essential and not vaccinated, visitors will be refused entry.  This doesn't apply to Cdn citizens or permanent residents who may enter regardless of vaccine status.    However, if unvaccinated citizens are returning home they are required to quarantine for 14 days.

Looks like the US gov't will soon impose similar restrictions on Canadian visitors to America -  if the US Feds choose to open their border on the 21st.  

On 8/18/2021 at 10:38 AM, DJsMrs said:

Looks like the US gov't will soon impose similar restrictions on Canadian visitors to America -  if the US Feds choose to open their border on the 21st. 

Apparently the US government cannot figure out how to safely open the border to a populous with much higher vaccination rates than their own with the announcement of border closure extension this morning. I will now have to fly from Vancouver to Seattle instead of doing the 2 hour drive.

Ironically I was at a football game here in Vancouver last night and there were several Americans in the seats in front of us. I spoke with them and they had driven across the border to attend the game (they were family and friends of one of the players) and were driving back across after the game. So it’s fine for Americans to come and mingle with Canadians and go back to the US, but vaccinated Canadians travelling to the US poses a threat?

Rant over

Crazy. In the last week I've read two excellent articles criticizing government's national approach to border entry and exit. The myriad rules and confusion is choking global travel creating unnecessary road blocks to a continuing economic recovery.

Much of the push behind this unnecessary nationalism involving boarders is misinformation and overreaction to Delta. 

I don't see an end to it until the "Delta Surge" peaks and predictably steeply declines in the regions driving country new case numbers counts. 

When that happens, maybe by early September, boarder crossing hassels will ease ..... only to be followed by rising cases again and reimposition of border closures. That ends when vax rates in most places reach 70% or more.

3 hours ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

Rant over

+1 on what @Vancity Cruiserjust said.  This is getting ridiculous.

It better be open by December for my Allure sailing or same thing, I will have to drive 4 hours to Toronto and pay 2-3x the amount instead of driving 45 mins to DTW.  I cannot lose that December sailing....

It's crazy.

We can now get up to see my in-laws, but they can't come down here yet.

There's been a few great-grandchildren born since the pandemic started, and they are so sad that they can't see them.

Once the border opens up freely, they plan on moving down here.  The way NB handled things over the past year or so has left a sour taste in their mouths.

This latest round is starting to make me wonder if I should front the money and book refundable airfare from Toronto (for December Allure sailing) just in case?  I already have flights booked through Air2Sea out of DTW but who knows at this point?  Maybe I should do with flights what I've been doing with cruises the last 18 months, have a Plan A & B.

Anyone want to weigh in?

10 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

If you are going on this cruise no matter what, I think you know what you have to do.  

I think I know too. 

The question I am wrestling with is book a refundable flight now out of Toronto or give in another month and see what happens September 21?  My sailing is December 19th...

9 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I think I know too. 

The question I am wrestling with is book a refundable flight now out of Toronto or give in another month and see what happens September 21?  My sailing is December 19th...

If it's refundable, why not lock in the price and get the seats you want now? What exactly are you losing other than time if you end up having to cancel?  Or are you talking refundable as in a flight credit?

26 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I think I know too. 

I personally recommend waiting a month.  With the way that flights are changing right now, you don't really know what you are going to end up with anyway.  And 3 months out is supposed to be the 'sweet spot' on booking airfare, according to the self-professed experts online.  

I hope the situation improves with the border.  Politicians.  ?

57 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I think I know too. 

I would wait till September 21st. That’s still 3 months from your sailing and I don’t think prices will change or flights will fill up in the meantime.

1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

If it's refundable, why not lock in the price and get the seats you want now? What exactly are you losing other than time if you end up having to cancel?  Or are you talking refundable as in a flight credit?

No flight credit.  I would just pay out of pocket.

1 hour ago, barbeyg said:

With the way that flights are changing right now, you don't really know what you are going to end up with anyway. 

That is actually a really valid point.  

We're also counting on the border opening.  If it does, then we are considering driving to NJ for our Anthem cruise in Dec.  This leaves flexibility in the worse case testing positive post cruise.  If it doesn't open, then we are wondering if we are better doing an all inclusive instead (gotta fly anyways then).  Crazy US isn't opening yet.  Other pieces of the unknown have been overcome (vaccines, seems like Anthem will return to the US, etc)....It's just the border that's the hurdle now.

14 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

If it doesn't open, then we are wondering if we are better doing an all inclusive instead (gotta fly anyways then).

Not me, I'm like the CDC, fixated on cruising. lol No cruise?  Not going anywhere. 

14 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

Crazy US isn't opening yet.  Other pieces of the unknown have been overcome (vaccines, seems like Anthem will return to the US, etc)....It's just the border that's the hurdle now.

I know right?  When I think back to a year ago from now, I would not have placed my bet on the border being the last hurdle.  It would have been the vaccines.  I'm stalking Air Canada flights now for December.  Cannot lose this Allure sailing.

On 8/20/2021 at 9:52 AM, Vancity Cruiser said:

So it’s fine for Americans to come and mingle with Canadians and go back to the US, but vaccinated Canadians travelling to the US poses a threat?

IMO, the US government is concerned with their southern neighbour's lower % of vaccination.  If they were to open up their land borders, it would have to be both or none at all.

47 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I'm stalking Air Canada flights now for December. 

Have you considered taking a helicopter from Windsor to Detroit?  And then a taxi service from DTW back to Windsor when you return?  

https://windsor.ctvnews.ca/some-windsor-travellers-use-helicopter-to-get-across-border-to-detroit-1.5467057

1 hour ago, Rose City Cruiser said:

Have you considered taking a helicopter from Windsor to Detroit?  And then a taxi service from DTW back to Windsor when you return?  

https://windsor.ctvnews.ca/some-windsor-travellers-use-helicopter-to-get-across-border-to-detroit-1.5467057

LOL!  Believe it or not, @Jax has even prompted me to look at charter private flights.  I cannot justify it in my head.

22 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Anyone want to weigh in?

I would have a Plan B and book Air Canada.  I took a quick look and the refundable fares are not as crazy as I thought they would be….that way you will not be stuck with a travel bank you don’t want.  If you wait you risk price increases, especially at that time. Why don’t you fly to MCO and jump in with us ...we can drop you in FLL on our way to Miami!! LOL  If all goes well we will be boarding at the same time. ? 

34 minutes ago, Jax said:

I took a quick look and the refundable fares are not as crazy as I thought they would be….

Exactly.  That is actually what got me looking and thinking harder yesterday.  It's fairly reasonable.  Well, for AC standards lol

35 minutes ago, Jax said:

Why don’t you fly to MCO and jump in with us ...

A big party for our 25th celebration?  Hubby would so impressed lol

13 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

It's fairly reasonable.  Well, for AC standards lol

? Agree. Compared to what I just spent on 3 direct flights from YYC to MCO ?‍♀️

14 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

A big party for our 25th celebration?  Hubby would so impressed lol

Your 25th, our 30th … Lindsay can be our chauffeur. Sounds like fun to me! Lol Oh wait, space for luggage could be a problem. ?

5 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Not me, I'm like the CDC, fixated on cruising. lol No cruise?  Not going anywhere. 

I know right?  When I think back to a year ago from now, I would not have placed my bet on the border being the last hurdle.  It would have been the vaccines.  I'm stalking Air Canada flights now for December.  Cannot lose this Allure sailing.

I totally get that.  There really is no holiday that compares to a cruise.  And even when we book, I find myself trying to make it as cruise-like as possible.

The good news is that cruises are running so yah (the biggest obstacle in the past)...when there is a will, there is a way (to get there)!

15 minutes ago, Danielle OG said:

I'm completely relying on the border opening to be able to cruise out of NJ this October. I won't fly (irrational fear), plus the cost is so much higher than driving and parking. If the border doesn't open I can't cruise ?

Fingers crossed for you.  I don't even have a prediction at this point.....

On 8/20/2021 at 2:52 PM, Vancity Cruiser said:

So it’s fine for Americans to come and mingle with Canadians and go back to the US, but vaccinated Canadians travelling to the US poses a threat?

Same here in UK.

It wouldn't surprise me US borders were still closed for my cruise in March.

I thought it was only land entry into the US that is closed to leisure travel. 

Is flying here not an option?

Yes, I know it can be cost prohibitive, especially if you live within easy driving distance, but unless you live in Canada or Mexico, flying is kinda the only option.

Maybe I’m mistaken  ?‍♂️

28 minutes ago, teddy said:

I thought it was only land entry into the US that is closed to leisure travel. 

Is flying here not an option?

Cant fly to US from UK for leisure purposes and no word when it will be allowed.

Last reports had biden office saying it may be possible to open up for EU visitors but not UK....i guess he has issues with his English cousins lol