Yes! We Have No Bananas (Daiquiris)

SSJ444

Yes! We Have No Bananas (Daiquiris)

Mango Daiquiri? Sure!

Strawberry Daiquiri? Of course!

Raspberry Daiquiri? Coming right up!

Peach Daiquiri? No problem!

Wildberry Daiquiri (whatever that is)? Absolutely!

Fantastic!

How about a Banana Daiquiri?!?!

Yes! We Have No Bananas (Daiquiris).

First, let me start by stating that this is in no way a serious criticism, complaint or rant about Royal Caribbean.  It is strictly in jest and really only intended for making my wife laugh and for living up to the reputation that I have with her for being completely nuts.  In fact, I have nothing but total admiration and respect for the Royal Caribbean brand as a whole and especially for all of the hardworking crew members aboard her ships - especially Freedom of the Seas, which we have been on four times in the last two years.  Also, I met my wife while on a Royal Caribbean cruise 18 years ago! So, needless to say, we love Royal Caribbean!

Okay, that being said; some of you may recall my previous post (Banana Daiquiri/Royal Caribbean Dining - May 16, 2016), asking about the possibility of my wife enjoying a Banana Daiquiri on our upcoming Freedom of the Seas cruise, in light of the fact that on the last voyage, we were told that there was some type of mysterious "Banana Daiquiri Embargo" and that the delicious tropical beverage could not be made.  (It must have struck a chord with a least a few of you out there.  After all, it has garnered 474 views, to date!)

Anyway, after some reassuring and optimistic post responses from Floski, WAAAYTOOO, and of course, Matt, I was able to convince my lovely wife that her national nightmare was lost likely over, and that she would be enjoying her favorite frozen cocktail in the Western Caribbean on our next Freedom cruise! (July 3rd, to be exact).  However, I was wrong. So wrong.

I asked Lucian, at the Juice Bar, Roberto, at the Pool Bar and even Ross, in the Main Dining Room (all exceptional people and bartenders) - Why no Banana Daiquiris?!?!  Unfortunately, as wonderful as they are, they could not come up with a logical explanation!  Rather, I was once again inundated with vagaries and nonsensical information (totally not their fault) - "There is a worldwide shortage on banana mix," "We just don't buy it anymore," "There is a tax on the mix."  Basically, no one could give me a legitimate reason why I could get any type of Daiquiri in the world on Freedom of the Seas (even Wildberry - whatever that is!) - except for Banana!!!

Strange, but true.  I am dying to know why! Well, not actually "dying," but certainly curious to find out why! And since this post is now way too long, I will close by saying - I love Freedom of the Seas, but I would love her even more if my wife could just get a Banana Daiquiri on our next cruise!!! (Which, by the way, can not come soon enough!)

I understand your pain because our last Freedom cruise I tried to order a BBC (Banana Baileys Colada) & they told me "we could not make those anymore because they do not carry the Banana mix. 

The bartenders said it was a popular request, but just like you said no one knows why?

I understand your pain because our last Freedom cruise I tried to order a BBC (Banana Baileys Colada) & they told me "we could not make those anymore because they do not carry the Banana mix.

The bartenders said it was a popular request, but just like you said no one knows why?

Bummer...i was, going to try this this time! Jane

I will be back on the Freedom again in less than a month so I will give you an update to the banana mystery. I wonder if its fleet wide or maybe just ships going out of Port Canaveral. I would assume these island oasis drink (banana) mixes would come from a vendor from that area. Working in the beverage industry it could be that whoever distributes this product no longer carries this flavor. Where as ships going out of Miami, Fort Lauderdale, ect would all have different vendors or distributors.

I never know whether to believe their stories about "worldwide shortages" or not.

Dan and I have an ongoing joke relating to this.  A number of years ago (maybe 5 or 6 ?) escargot suddenly disappeared from the RCI menus.  Dan LOOOOVES escargot and was heartbroken when he saw that it was not being offered on this cruise.

Our waiter told us that the reason for this was that there was a "worldwide shortage" of escargot.  We snickered about that and we now joke that when we cannot find something that we want, we assume that there is a worldwide shortage of whatever it is we are looking for.

Was there a worldwide shortage of escargot a few years back ?  Who knows...maybe.  I guess it could have happened.  We assumed that the cruiseline was trying to save money and had cut them from the menu but when escargot suddenly reappeared on the menu a couple of years later, we had to acknowledge that there may have truly been a short term availability shortage of some kind.

The funny part of this story is....on the cruise following the one where we were first informed of the worldwide shortage....escargot was still missing from the menu.  Dan mentioned how disappointed he was that they still had not solved the worldwide-escargot-shortage problem and our [then] waiter announced excitedly that they DID have escargot on board but that they just weren't offering it openly on the menu !  He was SOOO happy that he was able to "make a customer happy" that Dan had escargot waiting for him EVERY SINGLE night for the rest of the cruise.  The waiter was so excited to do it that Dan didn't have the heart to tell him that ENOUGH WITH THE ESCARGOT ALREADY !  Dan just smiled and ate it EVERY night.  It was such a sweet gesture. The moral of this story is (as it is with SO many stories) BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU ASK FOR !  You just may get it...over and over and over and over again. 

Our waiter told us that the reason for this was that there was a "worldwide shortage" of escargot.  We snickered about that and we now joke that when we cannot find something that we want, we assume that there is a worldwide shortage of whatever it is we are looking for.

When I encountered a previous worldwide shortage of banana daiquiri mix, I just went here:

https://www.amazon.com/Calson-Industries-Daiquiri-Margarita-Category/dp/B001J87RF8

They have everything....   Voila!!  One liter bottle for only $17.50.  Or from $11.50 used...  :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Our first day on Allure a few years back we settled in for a first round of Corona's to start the cruise .... and they all had lemons instead of limes. We were informed that there was a global lime shortage ... first of many "shortages" on board Allure that turned us off but we researched it when we got back and there actually was something to do with Mexico plowing under all their lime "groves" for more drug growing space that had caused a huge spike in Lime costs. Note: not a shortage per se, just made them very expensive at the time.

Was there a worldwide shortage of escargot a few years back ?  Who knows...maybe.  I guess it could have happened.  We assumed that the cruiseline was trying to save money and had cut them from the menu but when escargot suddenly reappeared on the menu a couple of years later, we had to acknowledge that there may have truly been a short term availability shortage of some kind.

There is/was a snail shortage:

http://www.seeker.com/escargot-could-follow-the-dodo-scientists-warn-1768359619.html

I think that'd be a rum smoothie at that point... I don't drink daiquiris though.

On the Serenade last week, they had an action station in the Windjammer that was making fresh smoothies, mi wish I would have thought to go get a shot of rum at the bar to add to the smoothie. :(

On the Serenade last week, they had an action station in the Windjammer that was making fresh smoothies, mi wish I would have thought to go get a shot of rum at the bar to add to the smoothie. :(

Now THAT would be tasty! 

Would pair great with a waffle! :p