Minor tidbits from Royal Caribbean event

Matt

Obviously the big news was all about dynamic dining on the Quantum class but I fished some tidbits out from various Royal Caribbean brass that I think you will all find interesting

• Yes, Coca-Cola Freestyle machines can only be on US based cruise ships.  Head of RC food and beverage told me that's a Coca-Cola rule, not Royal Caribbean because the machines have to be serviced often and it's more difficult/impossible to service outside of USA
  • Adam Goldstein told me part of the decision to change to dynamic dining is to go after the younger cruise crowd.  He mentioned the under 30 year old crowd specifically as a target demographic.
  • The new Chops Grill menu from Navigator will be rolled out fleet wide over the next 6 months
  • I asked why Sabor did not make it onto Quantum.  Head of RC food and beverage told me Sabor was created with Navigator in mind for the Texas connection but he did say it likely will be added to other ships, including perhaps Quantum down the line.
  • Portofino is being phased out.  Being replaced with either Giovanni's or Jamie's Italian.
  • Adam Goldstein reads this blog. Granted not sure how often but he definitely knew of it and made a request to change some wording (remove references to RCCL to RCI).  I told him it's about what people search for and he wouldn't take no.  So who am I to say no to him?  :D

That's what I can remember now.  Hope this helps clear some things up.

As we've discussed previously, the Freestyle machines are only US for now. They are starting to install in UK and Europe. But until it is widespread, don't expect them to be placed on all ships because, as you said, servicing and product inventory becomes the main issue. Thanks for proving this and clearing up any rumors. 

I too was surprised about no Sabor on Quantum. There is a lack of Mexican cuisine across the fleet in my opinion.

I'm sad about the phaseout of Portofino, but understand the need to modernize the Italian fare with new family and fresh styles. I look forward to trying the new Italian options onboard.

What is Adam's request all about? Can you pinpoint the references he is talking about? Just curious. Not surprised he reads the blog. Royal seems to be very "in the know" about all the websites and blogs on the internet. 

Again, thanks for being our eyes and ears at this event. Great photos, and hope you didn't eat too much!  :P

I too was surprised about no Sabor on Quantum. There is a lack of Mexican cuisine across the fleet in my opinion.

What is Adam's request all about? Can you pinpoint the references he is talking about? Just curious. Not surprised he reads the blog. Royal seems to be very "in the know" about all the websites and blogs on the internet. 

The Sabor thing really surprised me more than anything else.  When I sailed on Navigator of the Seas, the media team onboard indicated Sabor was the new VP of food and beverages "baby", so I would have bet money it was going on Quantum.  Which is a shame because Sabor was really, really, really good.

If you go to the blog (not the message boards), there's a little "about" block in the top right sidebar.  I said "royal caribbean cruise line" and he wanted it to say "royal caribbean international".

And you're right about Adam Tylor, he's a very smart guy.

Interesting about the younger crowd. I've found that nearly every time I cruise, I am discriminated against for my age. I'm sure it's not on purpose--more of an unconscious thing. But the head waiter always visits tables/passengers with older clientele and tables with families. Why? Because he *thinks* that he's going to get a larger tip out of these people. (Please the child, mom and dad tip him handsomely.) On my last cruise, the head waiter came by ONCE on the first day. Didn't introduce himself. Just asked what table we were *supposed* to be at. When he didn't believe us, he asked for our SeaPass cards. He then WALKED AWAY with them in-hand. Returned about 10 minutes later, said, "here you go," and never came back. The three cruises before that, I was not visited ONCE by the head waiter. On THOSE sailings, I was traveling with just a friend, also in her 20s.

When I used to travel with my family, the head waiter would come by our table nearly EVERY day.

I supposed maybe this is some feedback I should give Adam? Comings straight from the horse's mouth, right? Platinum member at age 24 ain't too shabby.

Interesting about the younger crowd. I've found that nearly every time I cruise, I am discriminated against for my age. I'm sure it's not on purpose--more of an unconscious thing. But the head waiter always visits tables/passengers with older clientele and tables with families. Why? Because he *thinks* that he's going to get a larger tip out of these people. (Please the child, mom and dad tip him handsomely.) On my last cruise, the head waiter came by ONCE on the first day. Didn't introduce himself. Just asked what table we were *supposed* to be at. When he didn't believe us, he asked for our SeaPass cards. He then WALKED AWAY with them in-hand. Returned about 10 minutes later, said, "here you go," and never came back. The three cruises before that, I was not visited ONCE by the head waiter. On THOSE sailings, I was traveling with just a friend, also in her 20s.

When I used to travel with my family, the head waiter would come by our table nearly EVERY day.

I supposed maybe this is some feedback I should give Adam? Comings straight from the horse's mouth, right? Platinum member at age 24 ain't too shabby.

My experience with the head waiter is roughly the same.  Usually he comes by 2-3x on a 7 night cruise.  I think the larger issue is the head waiter prescribes to the "squeaky wheel" scenario, where those that complain a lot or make many requests tend to garner the head waiter's attention the most.

My experience with the head waiter is roughly the same.  Usually he comes by 2-3x on a 7 night cruise.  I think the larger issue is the head waiter prescribes to the "squeaky wheel" scenario, where those that complain a lot or make many requests tend to garner the head waiter's attention the most.

Fair. But I still stand by the fact that ZERO visits to my table is unacceptable. I'd take 2-3x over zero!

The only time I have seen a head waiter is when I'm traveling with a large group. On Oasis, group of 10 all at one table, the head waiter would come by each night. On Liberty, group of 12 all at one table, the head waiter would come by each night. Also on Liberty, that was the ship I got married on, the executive chef stopped by our table too to greet us.

When I traveled alone with my wife and utilized MTD, we did not see any head waiters. The head waiter thing for me is more a formality and really isn't necessary. I know he/she is a manager for a section, but I've never had a problem that I needed to take up with a head waiter.  ;)

I would agree with your post Bryce. I would also dare say that when dining out in general that younger people are looked upon as bad tippers because of their age. Whether this is specifically true or not is unknown. I personally think that tipping should just become a part of the price you pay for the cruise. It would eliminate a lot of the headache and confusion of knowing what to tip, when to tip, removing tips, etc. I don't think it would diminish the quality of service as those standards are set forth by the cruise line.

I don't agree with the rule that offering big tips gets you better service. I feel like this is in some ways demeaning, and I know it's not always true. So we all should stop kidding ourselves and stop this nonsense tipping routine and just make it a part of the total package.

I tip handsomely. But when a server provides me REALLY good customer service, I go out of my way to tip RIDICULOUSLY. Like...stupidly. Because I know the person was LIKELY going against their better "judgement," and actually spending time and energy on "little kids who probably have mommy and daddy pay for everything." I try to make up for the stereotype as if to say "hey, thanks for not making a gross assumption."

I tip handsomely. But when a server provides me REALLY good customer service, I go out of my way to tip RIDICULOUSLY. Like...stupidly. Because I know the person was LIKELY going against their better "judgement," and actually spending time and energy on "little kids who probably have mommy and daddy pay for everything." I try to make up for the stereotype as if to say "hey, thanks for not making a gross assumption."

I think cultural boundaries also play a role in tipping. A lot of Europeans, people from the UK, Asia, and other nations cruise who don't have the same standard of giving we do for good service. A lot of people expect good service for nothing. In many cultures the parents really do pay for everything, even when their kids are in their 20's. So again, I see where you are coming from.

It is an unfortunate blame placed on some by the crew for the past experiences they have endured. All we can do is smile and treat them with the up most respect and give handsomely. I give no matter the level of service because I believe it is important and right.

I think cultural boundaries also play a role in tipping. A lot of Europeans, people from the UK, Asia, and other nations cruise who don't have the same standard of giving we do for good service. A lot of people expect good service for nothing. In many cultures the parents really do pay for everything, even when their kids are in their 20's. So again, I see where you are coming from.

It is an unfortunate blame placed on some by the crew for the past experiences they have endured. All we can do is smile and treat them with the up most respect and give handsomely. I give no matter the level of service because I believe it is important and right.

True. I was also referring to OUTSIDE of cruising, too. :-)

On our first RC cruise I thought about tipping my head waiter, but I had no idea who he was so I was unable to…couldn't have picked him up out of a lineup.  After that, none of the other cruises had head waiters that I would consider extraordinary until our Nov 2011 Enchantment cruise.  Our head waiter there rocked - expediting, picking up the slack when necessary, serving when the meals were hot, interacting frequently with all his tables, etc. We wound up giving him one of those "Wow" cards along with a big tip.

It's funny how there's always a staffer or two on each cruise that winds up being a favorited person from that trip, a real memory maker.

On our first RC cruise I thought about tipping my head waiter, but I had no idea who he was so I was unable to…couldn't have picked him up out of a lineup.  After that, none of the other cruises had head waiters that I would consider extraordinary until our Nov 2011 Enchantment cruise.  Our head waiter there rocked - expediting, picking up the slack when necessary, serving when the meals were hot, interacting frequently with all his tables, etc. We wound up giving him one of those "Wow" cards along with a big tip.

It's funny how there's always a staffer or two on each cruise that winds up being a favorited person from that trip, a real memory maker.

Same experience on our Dec 2013 sailing. Enchantment staff & crew best we have encountered across RCI!

• Adam Goldstein reads this blog. Granted not sure how often but he definitely knew of it and made a request to change some wording (remove references to RCCL to RCI).  I told him it's about what people search for and he wouldn't take no.  So who am I to say no to him?  :D

Did you invite him to join us on the RCI blog cruise? ;)