How much do you learn in the Sushi making class

HiEveryone

Hi, i'm going for a cruise soon, and I am intending to try out the sushi making class at Izumi. While looking through pictures and reviews, I noticed that mostly, the rolls are made with crabsticks and shrimp. 

I wonder if the class would teach me how to make the rice and fry the shrimp as well or does it only teach you how to roll the sushi together?

Thank you. 

2 hours ago, coneyraven said:

When we took it, it was all about the rolling of the sushi.... in other words, the rice, shrimp, anything else that needed to be cooked was already pre-cooked.

We had an awesome time.  I learned that I'm to NOT EVER DO THAT AGAIN!!!  It was Hysterical

I see, thank you. I was hoping for knowing how to do the whole thing from scratch. Also, what are you not doing again?

Also, i'm starting to think i'd use my gift card on other things like food from the restaurants instead of the class.

2 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

I've done it on every ship I've been on that offers it.  They have the ingredients all prepared.  It's a sushi "rolling" class.  I obviously enjoyed it.

1479334980_ScreenShot2021-03-23at7_32_54PM.thumb.png.99de96e6a8e7610cd1698df22878c54a.png

Those are great pictures, I can feel the joy radiating from it. It might just convince me to take the class.

On 3/23/2021 at 8:19 AM, HiEveryone said:

Hi, i'm going for a cruise soon, and I am intending to try out the sushi making class at Izumi. While looking through pictures and reviews, I noticed that mostly, the rolls are made with crabsticks and shrimp. 

I wonder if the class would teach me how to make the rice and fry the shrimp as well or does it only teach you how to roll the sushi together?

Thank you. 

It is a sushi rolling class, but it is fun. I did it on Allure and will do it on my next cruise. I did enjoy eating it afterwards.

On 3/26/2021 at 12:50 AM, JRT said:

We've done the class a few times and enjoyed it. Everything is pre-made and you just assemble the rolls. You end up with more than enough to eat. They did provide us with a recipe for making sticky rice.

With the rice recipe, I am definitely going to sign up for the class. Whether it would be full is another matter however ?

Dug deep in the archives from when I took the class on Brilliance, December of 2013...

Just remember this was from seven years ago. Who knows how much it has changed.

Ingredients setup

P1010050-Edit.thumb.jpg.aee2efb5fe730eafc0888924e98288c4.jpg

P1010052-Edit.jpg.15ced7f0e34405001af4c954c5967183.jpg

Once made... Shows extra salmon pieces. Person I was traveling with wasn't a fan of salmon.

P1010053-Edit.jpg.df5f935f579a9c03d55bbb3905c90136.jpg

Rolled in tempura flakes, sliced, and plated

P1010056-Edit.jpg.24de6c823451de6d2f2b5ec3ba20270b.jpg

5 hours ago, CGTLH said:

Dug deep in the archives from when I took the class on Brilliance, December of 2013...

Just remember this was from seven years ago. Who knows how much it has changed.

Ingredients setup

P1010050-Edit.thumb.jpg.aee2efb5fe730eafc0888924e98288c4.jpg

P1010052-Edit.jpg.15ced7f0e34405001af4c954c5967183.jpg

Once made... Shows extra salmon pieces. Person I was traveling with wasn't a fan of salmon.

P1010053-Edit.jpg.df5f935f579a9c03d55bbb3905c90136.jpg

Rolled in tempura flakes, sliced, and plated

P1010056-Edit.jpg.24de6c823451de6d2f2b5ec3ba20270b.jpg

Wow, thanks for digging up those pictures, they look wonderful. If I were to see them in a store I would pay 35 dollars for it. ?

Regarding the windjammer food to room, I think I will risk it. I simply enjoy snacking at night before bed, that's my only consideration about bringing the food out. 

Did this last year. Would agree that the class is worth it. It's a lot of fun, and it's a LOT of food (what you make can easily satisfy two people). Everything is set up for you, sure, but I feel like making the rice and frying the shrimp would be too hectic for the number of people they are teaching. Plus I'm likely to eat that freshly fried shrimp before it comes close to becoming maki.

I did the class -- was on Anthem, Jan 2019 with DH (NOT a sushi fan) & DD (who, due to disability would not be able to do the class). I went, & they showed up near the end, & it was plenty for me & DD to enjoy for lunch.   You do sit right next to and across (maybe 2.5 feet) from people -- at least, that's how it was on Anthem -- so if they were to do it, they'd probably have to have either smaller groups, so it could be more separated, or in a different venue -- ie, one of the dining rooms -- to have that separation of space.

It was a lot of fun, and I enjoyed doing it, and would probably do it again.

• 2 weeks later...

I loved the class! They easily accommodated my request for no shellfish and gave me substitutes. At the end I had delicious sushi to eat. It was totally worth it and I plan to go to the class every time I'm on a cruise with Izumi on board. 

And yeah, they provided all the ready ingredients and demonstrated how to assemble the sushi.

My own efforts on Jewel of the Seas in 2019:

IMG_4725.thumb.jpg.7ec804af87666e2d1ccb856108413845.jpg