Lobster Dinner

Shelly

Yes except the first formal night.  I was just on the Adventure.  I wore long pants, shirt, tie, and dress shoes on the first formal night.  This fit in with most men there.  Wore shorts and a collared shirt and Teva's every other night.  I fit right in.

Next question from my sister... We aren't dressy people... Can we get away with our guys wearing cargo shorts with collar shirts... Sandal's?

This is a hotly debated topic and without making a big argument here I will add that shorts in the main dining room is touchy.  Have people worn shorts before in the MDR? Yes. Will you get kicked out? Probably not. 

Personally, based on the dining room dress codes, I would not wear shorts and I do not think wearing pants/slacks is that much of an issue to wear instead BUT how you or your family dresses has no bearing on me or anyone in the MDR.  

Here is what RCI put on their website for dress guidelines:

Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

• Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women
  • Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women
  • Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

I'm just reporting what actually happens...   I used to be against shorts in the MDR.  But now I'm all for it.  Makes packing much easier.  With only 1 pair of slacks and no suit jacket I was able to carry on my luggage for this past trip.  My wife still had a checked back, but I did not.

I used to be a tux guy for formal nights.  Now in the Caribbean, not so much.  Maybe on a more formal cruise or a colder climate.  

I have seen people turned away at the door on formal night for being in shorts....recently.

So can you get away with it ?  Sometimes.  Do you want to be embarrassed and turned away ?  Not me.

On non-formal nights they will absolutely NOT turn you away in shorts.  ...but depending upon the ship and who's running things, they CAN and DO prohibit shorts on formal nights.

agree with WAAAYTOOO as to shorts 

especially on our earlier cruises Bud would bring his tux & duds & me semi-formal or dressy attire - but we'd need a 3rd bag for it all - & get a porter at the dock - so it WAS more of an effort ... 

on shorter cruises recently Bud just brought a sport jacket, etc & we'd skip the 3rd bag - & he looked fine 

one cruise we had early dining & were late & decided to skip the MDR - we were dressed up anyway for pics & then went to WJM - some folks in bathing suits snickered at us for being overdressed - we laughed it off - but I guess it bothered me a little that they were judgmental - in reverse - 

I'm all for comfort but think the MDR code is there for a reason - & it IS nice to see everyone looking good & enjoying dinner  -  fewer men are going formal 

On Oasis in 9 days. So excited!!! Is there a lobster dinner night and is it a formal night?

I just got back last month on a 12 day Baltic Sea cruise on the Navigator.  We had three formal nights and this was the first cruise they did not offer lobster. Maybe it was a European thing.  It was a big disappointment.

I am all about packing light and dressing down. I'm on vacation. In the Caribbean. I don't bring any dressy clothes. I wear clean, pressed jeans and sporty button down shirts, ya know, those Hawaiian thingys. I've never had an issue. On the other hand, I can't imagine wearing shorts to the MDR.

I just got back last month on a 12 day Baltic Sea cruise on the Navigator.  We had three formal nights and this was the first cruise they did not offer lobster. Maybe it was a European thing.  It was a big disappointment.

I'm surprised by this.  I would be disappointed too.

I just got back last month on a 12 day Baltic Sea cruise on the Navigator. We had three formal nights and this was the first cruise they did not offer lobster. Maybe it was a European thing. It was a big disappointment.

Welcome back. I'm leaving today to do the Baltics, too, on the Serenade.

It is a Europe thing. I inquired last year when sailing Northern Europe. Apparently, it's difficult to provision in Europe. And if you ever sail Disney, you'll find that they don't have Mickey bars onboard while sailing Europe.

The sacrifices we make to sail Europe . . . ;)

Ok, I hear what you are all saying and have talked with my family.  You all say no shorts in MDR, is that every night or just formal night? 

On the Adventure last month, there were lots of men in shorts in the MDR every night but the 1st formal night.  Nice shorts and a collared shirt (either button up or golf shirt)

Welcome back. I'm leaving today to do the Baltics, too, on the Serenade.

It is a Europe thing. I inquired last year when sailing Northern Europe. Apparently, it's difficult to provision in Europe. And if you ever sail Disney, you'll find that they don't have Mickey bars onboard while sailing Europe.

The sacrifices we make to sail Europe . . . ;)

Hey Doc....thanks.....this is the first RC cruise I have been on that I can honestly say I wouldnt do it again.   Way too may little things going south that added up to a not so good cruise.  We went on a 12 day Med cruise on the Mariner about 4 yrs ago and it was great so maybe my expectations were too high.  So I will let the storm settle and look at it again later and maybe I will see it in a different light.  If you havent been to the Baltics and need any tips on things let me know

Glad I asked the question.  We are not trying to offend anyone.  We just want to enjoy our cruise and we obviously were not clear on the dress code.  We didn't want to get there and find out we couldn't eat in the MDR because we didn't even bring the right clothing, so thank you everyone for your responses.  I agree WAAAYTOOO  I do not want to be embarrassed and asked to leave.

Even when they remind you of the dress code they are very nice about it.  One morning we were headed to the beach for an excursion and decided to go to the MDR for b'fast first.  Dan had on a tank top and they said he would have to change to go into the MDR - even for b'fast on a port day.  The shorts didn't cause a problem.  It was the sleeveless shirt that did it.  They allowed me to sit down and they showed him to the table where I was, when he got back.

So they DO often enforce the dress code.  They aren't nearly as strict about it as they used to be in the "old days" but they still have SOME standards.

You will be turned away in a tank top EVERY time (so we learned the hard way)...and you will probably be turned away in shorts on formal night (also learned the hard way).

No need to dress UP just don't wear the red flag items when they're looking for them !

As someone relatively new to cruising, this has been an interesting thread.  My take home story is that the MDR dress code appears to be clearly stated online and in other RCCL literature but the policy seems to be unevenly enforced, at least with regards to wearing shorts.  But at the other end of the spectrum it seems that on any RCCL ship, formal nights do not require true formal wear and anything from business casual and up is acceptable.  Is that a fair assessment?

Hey Doc....thanks.....this is the first RC cruise I have been on that I can honestly say I wouldnt do it again. Way too may little things going south that added up to a not so good cruise. We went on a 12 day Med cruise on the Mariner about 4 yrs ago and it was great so maybe my expectations were too high. So I will let the storm settle and look at it again later and maybe I will see it in a different light. If you havent been to the Baltics and need any tips on things let me know

Sorry to hear about your experience. So far, so good here. Only one small snafu and I'm a bit tired of the standard menus, but those are minor complaints.

On this always controversial topic, first, I'd like to thank everyone for their friendly discourse.  ::clapping::

The dress code seems to steer people away from shorts and other casual-wear.  While I am not a very formal person, I understand what they're going for.  I also understand others might be not thrilled if they see someone interpreting or acting on the rules as they'd like.  RCCL (or any other cruise line) ends up in an awkward position of wanting all persons to feel comfortable and enjoy their cruise, and that sometimes means they're the bad guy for doing something about it - or not.

Now, how do I handle this?  As a very casual person, I'll chime in on my personal take.  Not an angle that I am posing as right or wrong, just my feelings.  

I don't find it takes me much effort at all to put on a pair of pants instead of shorts, or a plain shirt instead of one that says, ,,Ë™looʇs ɹÉq ʎɯ uo ʞɔÉq Çɯ ʇnd 'sᴉɥʇ pÉÇɹ uÉÉ” noÊŽ ÉŸI,,

So, because it takes me so little effort to comply, and because I want to keep the peace and make everyone as happy as possible, I don't wear shorts in the MDR.  Does it matter to me personally?  Nope, as long as no one is sitting in my chair at the dinner before me wearing a wet bathing suit, I'm good.  But again, compliance w/ the dress code and keeping everyone happy is simple for me, as such, my choice is a simple one.