Mariner Repeaters Help Please?

Neesa

For those who have sailed the Mariner previous to this mess, I need two baths. (teenage daughter 8 nights) Would you do 2 Junior suites if I can get them connecting or the 2 bedroom grand? The grand is almost $2,000.00 more, what will I get for this extra 2,000.? Is there anything that would make you choose one over the other? Should be just emerald (due to all the cancellations) by then so no Diamond suite perks yet. Its an 8 night sailing, 2 Juniors and add the key? Looking for your thoughts, you guys are so full of knowledge!

** June 2022 sailing** 

*Update, was able to schedule through Walgreens the First Covid shots for myself and hubby this Tuesday. ( we are mid 50's, young at heart) Second dose was also available to schedule. Looking good for June....if they don't cancel. They let me check in today but I still doubt it, hubby will not fly to Nassau, super sad. Waiting for missing FCC's to be located @Sharla is on it and then fingers crossed to do this B2B Mariner. Thanks everyone, looking forward to reading your insights and thoughts.

@Lovetocruise2002@WAAAYTOOO @Matt@Baked Alaska

38 minutes ago, Neesa said:

For those who have sailed the Mariner previous to this mess, I need two baths. (teenage daughter 8 nights) Would you do 2 Junior suites if I can get them connecting or the 2 bedroom grand? The grand is almost $2,000.00 more, what will I get for this extra 2,000.? Is there anything that would make you choose one over the other? Should be just emerald (due to all the cancellations) by then so no Diamond suite perks yet. Its an 8 night sailing, 2 Juniors and add the key? Looking for your thoughts, you guys are so full of knowledge!

*Update, was able to schedule through Walgreens the First Covid shots for myself and hubby this Tuesday. ( we are mid 50's, young at heart) Second dose was also available to schedule. Looking good for June....if they don't cancel. They let me check in today but I still doubt it, hubby will not fly to Nassau, super sad. Waiting for missing FCC's to be located @Sharla is on it and then fingers crossed to do this B2B Mariner. Thanks everyone, looking forward to reading your insights and thoughts.

Personally I would go with 2 Jr Suites.  As one main reason I book GS is for Coastal Kitchen, which is not on this ship.  Also if you cruise is this June I do not think it will happen.  Even if for some reason June cruises open, I doubt 8 day cruises will.  They will start with shorter cruises in my opinion.

Good Luck.   I am vaccinated and just waiting..........and waiting........  I keep booking more as they get cancelled.

The obvious advantage to booking the 2 BR GS is that you would qualify for all of the Suite benefits.  That includes access to the Concierge/Suites Lounge, breakfast in one of the specialty restaurants, services of the Concierge, invitation to the ship tours (assuming they still offer those after the re-start), reserved seating in the theaters. Are those things worth $2K ?

Personally, I think you will have more room, overall, with the 2 JS.  The second bedroom in the 2 BR GS is really the size of an inside room - very small....but 2 full JS would be LOTS of room....and if they were connecting, it would be like having 2 giant suites !

This would be a tough one for me.  You know I love the suite perks...but to be completely honest, I'm not sure that the suite perks on a non-O/Q are worth $2K.

Well....for $2000, it depends.  You do get access to the suite lounge and suite concierge with the GT, even though there's no CK.  In addition, you also have seats reserved at shows (I think) for suite guests.  No complimentary voom though which is a major pet peeve of mine on non-Quantum and Oasis class ships.  The other perk of the GT on Mariner is the aft views, but obstructed.  So would that be worth it to you for an extra $2000?  Only you can decide that.

Personally, if it were me, for $2000, I actually might take the GT over the 2 connecting JS only because my kids, while they are getting older, still like to share the room with us.  They say it's part of the family vacation experience. lol

And while not as good as Q and O class, I still like the suite benefits.

14 hours ago, Neesa said:

@Lovetocruise2002@WAAAYTOOO @Matt@Baked Alaska

Hi @Neesa I play with these configurations all the time, as well.

Our son (17 at the time of sailing) will be bringing his buddy (18) for all the fishing fun they can handle for our next Alaska cruise. We are taking the Goldstar from ANC to Girdwood and then hopping back on 4 days later for Seward. In Girdwood, they will have their own room, either connecting to ours or not. On Radiance, we have booked a 2bedroom/2bath Owner's Suite. They are both big guys who will get even bigger (already, both are over 6'2"). We went this route for the concierge service and the fact that if my husband and I split-up on the booking, that is if he is listed a concierge level suite and I am in a JS, then even after we switch the keys, only half of our party would be able to avail ourselves of the concierge services, e.g., early on/early off, scheduling services, etc. Yes, it is not a larger ship with all Sky or Star class amenities, but it would still throw a wrench in some of the plans. When we disembarked in Vancouver, we flew by everyone else and ended up in our taxi to VNC in 5 minutes. From Chops to taxi. . .5 minutes. 

For our NYE cruise on Oasis out of Miami in December, we have a Crown Loft Suite, as it is just the three of us. If we would have one more, then yeh, we would have played around with the numbers.

If I had connecting JS suites, then I would add The Key. Getting on and off the ship quickly, even more than ever now with COVID protocols (whatever they may be), would make it worth it for us. 

We are suite snobs, both on Royal and when we sailed with Disney. We like the amenities with concierge-level suites. If GS or higher suites are not available, then connecting JS or balcony with The Key added would be my next choice.

Edited by Baked Alaska
ADD: We don't buy the drink package on Alaska sailings. Not as laid back as a Caribbean cruise.

By placing an adult in each JS you can get creative with drink package purchases.

I love the perks of the Royal Suite Class on Quantum and Oasis class.  I've always struggled with the full suites perks on all other classes.  It's never seemed worth it to me for the price difference over and above a JS.  You don't even get complimentary Voom on all other classes of ship.

$2k is a good part of a whole other cruise.