Six Months Without Ft. Lauderdale?

Tentatively planning a group continuing education cruise for work in July 2022. When we've done this in the past, we've gone out of Ft. Lauderdale, so that was the first place I looked. But when I search available cruises out of FLL, it shows up with no cruises from May through October, 2022. Just curious if this is a website glitch or if there is actually something going on that RC is taking a break from Lauderdale? Just found it curious. 

Image 3-19-21 at 10.38 PM.jpeg

With Oasis in Bayonne and Allure in the Med it's drained Florida of two Oasis class ships.  Miami appears to be Royal's favored terminal to use.  Of course Celebrity continues to use Port Everglades so it's not like RCG overall is pulling out of PEV but for RCI ships they are using Miami to consolidate operations.

Harmony is doing her regular thing from Canaveral and likewise Symphony from Miami. 

Until Odyssey and Vision come over it's left Port Everglades empty of RCI ships

It's probably more a thing since two Oasis class are not based in Florida during this timeframe.

Worth noting that PEV did a huge up-grade to its (primarily) Celebrity terminal to accommodate Apex class ships and their new check-in technology over a year ago. It's not like Port Everglades is getting left behind. Multiple lines cruise from there.  It appears to me that in S. FL, RCG is consolidating ships in it's brand at two ports. I haven't sailed any cruise line out of Miami for a while. I live a 10 minute Uber ride to Port Everglades and I cruise primarily aboard Celebrity ships so .......

I have 44 years under my belt in East Fort Lauderdale. 20 of which I have been staring at the Port Everglades from my living room. Broward County is investing heavily in Port infrastructure to accommodate more large passenger & cargo ships as well as hotels, roads, new terminals and parking. As with everything else, it’s all about politics and money. RCL will be back in full force once they suck the life out of the port of Miami. Big things will happen once cruising is back in full operation mode! 

41 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

As with everything else, it’s all about politics and money.

Absolutely. When Royal Caribbean built Terminal 18 in Port Everglades for Oasis, it was FLL luring Royal Caribbean away from Miami. No doubt a sweeter deal for the cruise line.

Since then, Miami lured Royal Caribbean back with Terminal A.

15 minutes ago, twangster said:

So far the "Crown of Miami" terminal has trumped the operational ease of Port Everglades. 

I agree. I remember when I thought Terminal 18 in Everglades was the definition of easy. Then I tried Terminal A in Miami and it is the new gold standard.

Another good example of competition being good for everyone.

Broward County has not been sleeping during the global pandemic. They have used this time to upgrade and build at Port Everglades. The convention center and a massive hotel are well underway. The Dania Beach area has had several major chain (budget) hotels built in anticipation. Downtown Fort Lauderdale is in the midst of a construction boom as well. When operations resume, Fort Lauderdale and it’s port will be ready. Port of Miami while nice can’t handle everything. Port Everglades is # 2. Based on what I am observing, RC needs Port Everglades more then Port Everglades needs RC. 

19 hours ago, tonyfsu21 said:

Broward County has not been sleeping during the global pandemic. They have used this time to upgrade and build at Port Everglades. The convention center and a massive hotel are well underway. The Dania Beach area has had several major chain (budget) hotels built in anticipation. Downtown Fort Lauderdale is in the midst of a construction boom as well. When operations resume, Fort Lauderdale and it’s port will be ready. Port of Miami while nice can’t handle everything. Port Everglades is # 2. Based on what I am observing, RC needs Port Everglades more then Port Everglades needs RC. 

Exhibit A:

CDD0A99B-0634-4D0F-AB52-0388EADF3C80.png