Miami-Dade Mayor requesting meeting with CDC

2 hours ago, twangster said:

You would think the CDC would factor in human nature and how Americans will act.

They seem to be of the opinion that by denying cruises Americans will shelter in place and never leave their homes.

In reality Americans are going to leave their homes and vacation recreationally somewhere.  The CDC isn't protecting anyone by banning cruise ships, they are pushing Americans to choose less safe options domestically.  Once the CDC wakes up to the reality of their actions they will realize that cruising with protocols is a much safer way to recreate given many of the other options they are pushing Americans into where there will be no protocols required.

So true. 

Up here in Maine, it seems like anyone who can is figuring out a way to go south, even if it’s just for a short weekend. 

Once we are both fully vaccinated, my wife and I will be taking a long weekend somewhere, theoretically by the end of May.     

In non cruise ban times, we would absolutely book a 4-night cruise out of  Florida.  This time, we’ve been looking at Cancun or Cozumel.  We’d both rather be on a ship, but any port in a storm I guess. 

3 hours ago, UNCFanatik said:

when I see packed planes, airports, and airport trams packed with people, I seriously question the CDC not allowing cruising to take place. Even more so after listening to RCL CEO with the numbers of cruisers during the pandemic and cases of Covid. I would have to watch again but it was well under 100 cases  of Covid with 100,000 passengers

It was ten, 1-0. Ten cases among 100,000 passengers.

6 hours ago, CruisinForABruisin said:

With 3 of the 4 major cruiselines giving away their drink packages with bookings, you may be surprised at who is going to be sailing nowadays.

Can you give me the names of these companies please? ???

Oh wait doc says alcohol is off limits ??? 

7 hours ago, twangster said:

Yet business air travel is minimal right now.  The airlines execs have stated so.  The majority of air travel is recreational at the moment.  That has been the justification for billions in bailout money.

And I would also support bailout money for the cruise companies if they actually based their companies in the US instead of hiding overseas to avoid taxes.

8 hours ago, emmef said:

Yes, yes and yes.  I work in corporate America and my company, like almost every other company in America has gone to zero travel.  All meetings are done via conferencing (Teams, Skype, Zoom, etc.). No one travels anymore for business. Every conference is now virtual.

My company has formally announced that all employees in IT, such as myself, now have the option of being 100% remote for work. Not a couple of days per week, not "remote primary" -- truly 100% remote every day of the year, never to set foot in an office building again. I don't know a single person in my department who hasn't taken that option, except for some of the director-level staff who just prefer to be in an office building a few days a week. I was almost literally singing hallelujah when the survey asking for general interest in that idea went out to all IT staff.

There are still people who work the trading desks who will be in the office, but I think that's mainly because there are still clients who insist on real face-to-face meetings. If the pandemic has done one positive thing, it's utterly transformed the work landscape for IT. I know tons of people who've been clamoring for this for years as broadband became commonplace in pretty much all of suburbia, but management never accepted the idea because they believed the only way to stay productive was to be in a building where you could directly collaborate with your teammates (maybe with a manager breathing down your neck and/or watching over you from a high perch). This last year has finally taught many companies that the cubicle farm, and the office building as a whole, has become an outdated concept.

I hope we never go back, because the amount of money I'm saving by not traveling and not buying breakfast and lunch every day, never mind gas expenses and car maintenance, has been mind-blowing. I'm saving almost $200 $100 a month just on the elimination of Starbucks; with the side benefit that I've found a local store that sells way better coffee beans at a lower price per pound, so I'm actually enjoying good coffee every day for way less.

EDIT -- Changed the SBUX savings, because I realized I didn't factor in the replacement coffee beans expenses or the fact that I'm still buying groceries to replace the breakfast items I was buying every morning. But still... I mean, the overall reduction in sodium, preservatives, sugar, and other things is probably saving me more money over the long haul in medical expenses related to all those things I'm not putting into myself in anywhere near as large volumes.

Oh, and instead of spending $50+ a week on gas, I'm spending about $40 a month because I'm basically not driving anywhere any more. That'll probably go up again when things become a bit more normal, but by that point I'll be in a hybrid car and monthly gas will likely be no higher.

6 hours ago, JLMoran said:

My company has formally announced that all employees in IT, such as myself, now have the option of being 100% remote for work. Not a couple of days per week, not "remote primary" -- truly 100% remote every day of the year, never to set foot in an office building again. I don't know a single person in my department who hasn't taken that option, except for some of the director-level staff who just prefer to be in an office building a few days a week. I was almost literally singing hallelujah when the survey asking for general interest in that idea went out to all IT staff.

Same here.. IT as well. We're never going back. No longer stuck in traffic 2 hours a day, Monday to Friday. That's 10 hours a week! Almost got a whole day per week back in my life. COVID has had some unexcepted benefits. Not to mention the cost savings.

Unfortunately my wife now expects all the housework to be done before she's get home from work! ?‍♂️

But think of the possibilities.. if RC could guarantee Zoom service reliability.. this week I might work from my Ovation of the Seas office. Next week? I'll be in the Quantum office!

10 hours ago, JLMoran said:

There are still people who work the trading desks who will be in the office, but I think that's mainly because there are still clients who insist on real face-to-face meetings. If the pandemic has done one positive thing, it's utterly transformed the work landscape for IT. I know tons of people who've been clamoring for this for years as broadband became commonplace in pretty much all of suburbia, but management never accepted the idea because they believed the only way to stay productive was to be in a building where you could directly collaborate with your teammates (maybe with a manager breathing down your neck and/or watching over you from a high perch). This last year has finally taught many companies that the cubicle farm, and the office building as a whole, has become an outdated concept.

I hope we never go back, because the amount of money I'm saving by not traveling and not buying breakfast and lunch every day, never mind gas expenses and car maintenance, has been mind-blowing. I'm saving almost $200 $100 a month just on the elimination of Starbucks; with the side benefit that I've found a local store that sells way better coffee beans at a lower price per pound, so I'm actually enjoying good coffee every day for way less.

EDIT -- Changed the SBUX savings, because I realized I didn't factor in the replacement coffee beans expenses or the fact that I'm still buying groceries to replace the breakfast items I was buying every morning. But still... I mean, the overall reduction in sodium, preservatives, sugar, and other things is probably saving me more money over the long haul in medical expenses related to all those things I'm not putting into myself in anywhere near as large volumes.

Oh, and instead of spending $50+ a week on gas, I'm spending about $40 a month because I'm basically not driving anywhere any more. That'll probably go up again when things become a bit more normal, but by that point I'll be in a hybrid car and monthly gas will likely be no higher.

We are trending the same way, I have been pushing my boss for a decision. If I never have to set foot in the office again it opens up a whole of other options ... 

15 hours ago, Oliver said:

And I would also support bailout money for the cruise companies if they actually based their companies in the US instead of hiding overseas to avoid taxes.

Come on! Any business with a responsibility to shareholders takes every tax advantage available to them. 
The cruise lines never asked for federal bailout money, because they didn’t need to. Their business model has given them the opportunity to increase their liquidity and weather the storm. 

57 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

Come on! Any business with a responsibility to shareholders takes every tax advantage available to them. 
The cruise lines never asked for federal bailout money, because they didn’t need to. Their business model has given them the opportunity to increase their liquidity and weather the storm. 

But strangely they recieved $375m from the UK government

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/carnival-royal-caribbean-receive-uk-142527493.html

55 minutes ago, Mike.s said:

But strangely they recieved $375m from the UK government

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/carnival-royal-caribbean-receive-uk-142527493.html

Of course!  As is said, any company will do what’s best for their shareholders. 
UK offered, RCG accepted. They would be idiots not too. 
I stand by my statement, they never asked for, not expected USA federal stimulus. 

A large portion of the Fortune 500 pay zero or near zero federal income tax. 

On 3/23/2021 at 10:53 AM, TXcruzer said:

I know they didn’t ask for bailout money. And I don’t blame them for taking tax advantages when they can. But I was bringing it up to respond to Twangsters comments and I think in that context it was a valid point