June restart...

So far, RCG has announced North American sailings from Bahamas, Bermuda, St. Marten and Barbados (if you count December). One port is noticeably absent: Cozumel!

Any thoughts on this? Are they going to announce yet another ship?  If so which one?

My guess is a large ship, such as Oasis or Quantum class from Cozumel.  

Let me know your guesses!

11 hours ago, steverk said:

So far, RCG has announced North American sailings from Bahamas, Bermuda, St. Marten and Barbados (if you count December). One port is noticeably absent: Cozumel!

Any thoughts on this? Are they going to announce yet another ship?  If so which one?

My guess is a large ship, such as Oasis or Quantum class from Cozumel.  

Let me know your guesses!

I'm not sure anyone can guess what next unorthodox card Royal has up their sleeve.

Celebrity will announce another ship and homeport this week.

So far both lines have been placing medium or large sized ships into non-US homeports.

In the case of Royal there logically is a desire to leverage CocoCay as a stop.  The unknown is what Caribbean nations have been willing to "jump on board" and which have declined.  If a ship in Cozumel can only visit the Bahamas for example, that might not work out well.  That's just an example.

The complexity Royal faces is not just finding a homeport.  They need to find a homeport they can build an itinerary to go somewhere within fuel and time range.  Bermuda is not ideal in this sense but Bermuda said "yes" so they went there.

Jamaica could be a candidate.  From there they could reach PDCC, Labadee and Cozumel.  The unknown is Jamaica's desire to participate.

Barbados has in the past seemed to be willing to put itself out there with other attempts as a restart.  Barbados could be a logical place to home port a ship in advance of the Grandeur December launch.

The problem for Oasis class is their size as it relates to embarking thousands of guests in a homeport that isn't meant to embark anyone.  It's one thing to load 1,500 to 2,000 guests in Nassau.  Trying to load 2,500 to 3,000 is a different matter. 

Royal has rarely run away from a challenge so anything is possible.  

Thinking more about this.

Adventure in Nassau was a test they passed with flying colors.  It seems Royal nailed it given how demand played out once they opened bookings.

Vision will really test demand.  Great homeport in Bermuda but now they must wait and see how much demand is really out there.

I suspect they will wait to see how Vision sells before announcing more in the Caribbean.  Another announcement somewhere else could factor into Vision bookings.

Assuming Celebrity does announce a second restart ship for the US market it might be wise to let the four ships enjoy their moment in the spotlight. 

Getting greedy and going too fast might not be the best move right at this moment in time.  That doesn't mean they aren't wheeling and dealing in the background working on the next big thing while they wait to see how the pandemic trends and how long the CDC continues to play dead.

BACK TO THE MEDITERRANEAN - Summer 2021 Cruises

Our return to the Caribbean this summer is already a hit! But did you really think we were going to stop there? Next up, we’re taking our talents to the Mediterranean. This summer, your clients can soak up the Mediterranean sun and explore the captivating coastlines of Greece and Cyprus on all-new 7-night cruises departing from Limassol, Cyprus onboard Jewel of the Seas®! Beginning July 10, 2021, Jewel will call Cyprus home for the first time and sail to the picturesque shores of Cyprus and Greece through October 23, 2021. Your clients can explore a combination of culture-rich cities and idyllic islands, including Limassol; Athens, Greece and the Greek islands of Rhodes, Crete, Mykonos and Santorini.

As always, the safety of your clients, our crew and the communities we visit is at the forefront of our decision-making process. For Jewel itineraries from Cyrus, we look forward to welcoming fully vaccinated guests 18 years of age and older, as well as children under the age of 18 with proof of negative COVID-19 test results. These current health and safety measures, like others, may evolve as they are evaluated on an ongoing basis. Details on additional health and safety measures will be announced at a later date.

With opportunity comes responsibility — so we have come to the tough decision to cancel the scheduled Jewel of the Seas summer sailings departing June 7 - October 31, 2021. Your impacted clients can choose from one of the following compensation options:
  1. A refund of all funds paid
  2. An elevated 125% Future Cruise Credit to sail with Royal Caribbean® at a later date 
  3. An opportunity to Lift & Shift your client’s reservation to a similar cruise next year

Soon, all impacted guests and associated travel agencies will receive an email notification with additional details pertaining to these compensation options.

Safe and healthy cruising IS possible — and we’re witnessing just how much pent-up demand there truly is. With our valued partners and friends by our side, we can conquer it all.

16 minutes ago, jticarruthers said:

I sense a rapid acceleration of "other alternatives" ... somehow I suspect DeSantis is going to start rattling some chains in the background ... what is the CDC enforcement arm if he just declares the Florida ports open for business ??

He can rattle away as much as he wants but I'm not sure he can override a federal public health emergency declaration by using a state executive order.

To challenge the CDC order could possibly require a federal judge and court be involved.

32 minutes ago, jticarruthers said:

I sense a rapid acceleration of "other alternatives" ... somehow I suspect DeSantis is going to start rattling some chains in the background ... what is the CDC enforcement arm if he just declares the Florida ports open for business ??

I also sense an acceleration of "other alternatives", and I also sense that DeSantis is really, really frustrated about it.

Unfortunately, I agree with @twangster that he doesn't have any real power in this case. 

Pressuring the CDC might cause them to open up.  On the other hand, it might cause them to take even more drastic action.

26 minutes ago, steverk said:

I also sense an acceleration of "other alternatives", and I also sense that DeSantis is really, really frustrated about it.

Unfortunately, I agree with @twangster that he doesn't have any real power in this case. 

Pressuring the CDC might cause them to open up.  On the other hand, it might cause them to take even more drastic action.

Industry and local gov't might be able to sue for financial loss or force an injunction leading to policy movement?   As there is not a level playing field for operation of floating hotels vs land based hotels.  

13 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

Industry and local gov't might be able to sue for financial loss or force an injunction leading to policy movement?   As there is not a level playing field for operation of floating hotels vs land based hotels.  

I'm not a lawyer, so I can only observe that even if such a lawsuit were possible, it would take months, or even years, to wind it way through the courts.

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

While I cannot go on any of these, this just makes me happy to see.  What great news for Royal and the cruise industry.  Just fantastic to see ships sailing again with passengers!

I agree. The events of the last week plus has been such a refreshing change.

11 minutes ago, DH474 said:

What the ??? 

Welcome to the message boards.

There are recently announced cruises from nearby countries that aren't subject to the whims of the US federal government.

At the insistence of the US federal government I'm spending my vacation dollars outside the USA.

It's all part of the US government foreign aid plan to stimulate spending in other countries and help their economies.