Celebrity Announces Restart

twangster

Starting in June sailing from St. Maarten.  

https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/ITK/CEL_JUNE_CARIBBEAN_COMEBACK_FOR_CELEBRITY_CRUISES_Press_Release_3-19-21.pdf

CELEBRITY CRUISES EMBRACES THE MAGIC OF ST. MAARTEN FOR JUNE CARIBBEAN COMEBACK
- Revolutionized Celebrity Millennium to set sail on June 5
- Announcement is “such a significant moment’ for company, St. Maarten and the Caribbean

MIAMI (March 19, 2021) – Celebrity Cruises announced its long-anticipated return to cruising today, as company President and CEO, Lisa Lutoff-Perlo confirmed that the revolutionized Celebrity Millennium, the ship at the forefront of the fleet’s $500 million modernization program and featuring the exclusive open-air hideaway The Retreat®, will homeport in the tropical paradise of St. Maarten beginning June 5.

Beginning March 25, eager travelers can turn their vacation dreams into a dream vacation when booking opens for new seven-night itineraries departing through August to some of the best-loved Caribbean island destinations. The ship will sail with vaccinated crew and will be available to vaccinated adult guests and children under the age of 18 with a negative PCR test result within 72 hours of embarkation.

Guests can take advantage of special air and sea pricing offering exceptional savings on all Summer 2021 St. Maarten sailings starting at $1,999* per person for a veranda stateroom. The offer applies to new bookings and flights must be booked through Flights By Celebrity and prices include airfare and taxes. No promotional code is needed.
Celebrity Cruises President and CEO Lisa Lutoff-Perlo said, “Returning to the Caribbean after more than a year away is such a significant moment for us. It marks the measured beginning of the end of what has been a uniquely challenging time for everyone. We have been in constant contact with the leadership of St. Maarten these past months to support each other and share learnings and best practices. That we’re able to offer people the opportunity to safely vacation onboard the revolutionized Celebrity Millennium, is incredible, and that we will sail from the magical island of St. Maarten is very special. I am forever grateful for the support and collaboration of the St. Maarten government.”

“Having a major cruise line such as Royal Caribbean Group’s Celebrity Cruises homeport here is a significant economic milestone for St. Maarten. It’s an historic agreement, the fruit of continuous dialogue and a testament to the strength of our longstanding relationship,” Minister of Tourism, Economic Affairs, Transportation and Telecommunication (TEATT) Ludmila de Weever declared. “Celebrity Cruises homeporting here will help rejuvenate our economy and drive opportunities for our people. I would like to thank the management team at the Royal Caribbean Group for their commitment to St. Maarten and their confidence in the Ministry of TEATT as a reliable and responsible partner. I look forward to the successful re-launch of their Caribbean cruising,” Minister de Weever concluded.

10 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Millennium is one of their older ships, isn't it ?

Yes - oldest of the Millennium class.  Its been "Revolutionized", but too be honest, we were disappointed when we sailed her in Alaska in '19.  It wasn't really a complete upgrade - especially in the specialty dining areas.  Upgrade from Michael's Club to Retreat lounge was very nice, but the service model changed and became more "self serve" in the lounge.

Some details are emerging.

• PCR tests before the cruise is paid by the guest.  Antigen tests performed by Royal are included.
  • The final antigen test near the end of the cruise is being scheduled on board so it can be used to satisfy airline requirements to fly home.
  • Capacity will be limited to 40% to 60%.  Closer to 40% initially but expanding as time goes on.
  • B2B are allowed i.e. 2 x 7 = 14 days, pending determination of PCR test requirements for 2nd sailing and how that would work. TBD
  • Verandah and above initially.  No inside or oceanview.  This may change as things progress.
  • Royal considers themselves multigenerational across the brands so they specifically created the PCR test requirement so that children can sail.  If you are eligible to get a vaccine, you must have a vaccine.  For those age groups that aren't eligible for a vaccine yet, a PCR test is required.
  • These are "Always Included" cruises

4 hours ago, twangster said:

Apparently when asked "why Millie?" the response was to the effect that they hope to sail Apex and Edge on her already scheduled sailings so they didn't want to disrupt those cruises in case they get the green light from the CDC soon.

But I’d counter that with, “Well, why not Summit in that case?” Summit is newer, also Revitalized, and equally screwed for any US sailings this year. Remember that she’s the ship they use for Bermuda / Charlotte / Nantucket sailings. Plus the Iceland & Greenland TA that I’m confident saying is definitely not happening this year (Aug sail dates).

9 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

But I’d counter that with, “Well, why not Summit in that case?” Summit is newer, also Revitalized, and equally screwed for any US sailings this year. Remember that she’s the ship they use for Bermuda / Charlotte / Nantucket sailings. Plus the Iceland & Greenland TA that I’m confident saying is definitely not happening this year (Aug sail dates).

I assume it's because they recognize the chance of saving Millie's Alaska season versus the chance that some or any of Summit's season makes Millie the better choice.

If they use Summit and the CDC allows July cruises then all of Summit's summer and fall is lost.  Millie's summer and fall is almost certainly lost (thanks Canada). 

Pick Summit and another ship sits idle.

Pick Millie and maybe, just maybe, Summit can save something of her season.

Was surprised Millennium is the first to sail.  But I guess it makes sense based upon crew/passenger numbers and embarkation port limitations.  I was told by one Celeb employee the "Edge" class ships were the priority to get underway.  (Also have a superior IT backbone for the contact tracing requirements)  There was even a rumor it might get sold off.

8 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

Was surprised Millennium is the first to sail.  But I guess it makes sense based upon crew/passenger numbers and embarkation port limitations.  I was told by one Celeb employee the "Edge" class ships were the priority to get underway.  (Also have a superior IT backbone for the contact tracing requirements)  There was even a rumor it might get sold off.

If it flops and an outbreak occurs maybe they didn't want the flagship in the spotlight.

5 hours ago, cruisellama said:

Will or can these early cruises by Royal and Celebrity be considered as "test cruises"?   Its low spreader risk proposition since all guests and crew will be vaccinated and there will be pre/post testing.

Without seeing the actual CDC technical details we don't know, however the test cruise are a CDC requirement so I'm not sure the CDC is going to allow a cruise in another country on a different ship that they weren't present to observe to be accepted.  If they do, there is Singapore and soon Israel cruises that would satisfy the concept.  Will they require each ship to perform a test cruise?  That's sort of the gist of the entire CSO - everything on a per ship basis.  

Everything changes weekly.  More vaccinations, different case counts, different variants.  The October CSO is now outdated and obsolete so even that framework doesn't reflect where we are now six months later.    

Hopefully the delay with the CDC providing details has in some small way been caused by them throwing out the CSO and writing a new one to reflect major game changers like vaccinations that didn't exist in October.

I think we all have to realize that the CDC is, in fact, a government agency with all the inherent hesitance to action of any government agency. (At least in the US, I can't speak for other countries.) They cannot keep up with the changing COVID landscape. As soon as they write, then staff, then rewrite, then restaff, then get administration guidance from the new administration, and then repeat, the situation has changed. There is a terrible tendency in the US to do nothing. Remember, "If we do nothing, we can do nothing wrong!" I don't see that changing before the summer.

21 hours ago, twangster said:

Something else is in the works for Celebrity, special travel agent call on Thursday.

That's fine as long as it doesn't interrupt my TA from booking Milllennium on any one of the sailings in June.? If you're thinking on booking Millennium as an RCL loylaist never having sailed Celebrity,  here are some thoughts. I've sailed Millenium 4x, the most recent was in Asia for a month B2B. I'm a smaller ship enthusiast so, Celebrity's Millennium Class ships are my cup of tea. I've sailed Jewel, a Radiance Class ship, once on a repositioning cruise - loved it. The two classes, as has been mentioned, are similar in size and flay-out.

When one speak's of "older' ships, Celebrity's maintenance standards almost make that term irrelevant. You might find a nick or two in a chair or cabinetry but for the most parts I've always found Celebrity's ships, no matter the class or age, spotless and everything I use regularly, functional.  If you find something amiss in your cabin, it will get fixed right away. The layout is easy to navigate - straight access fore and aft on most decks. Cabin size is average with a larger deck on what are called "hump cabins. If you can snag one of those, do it. Aft cabins also have a larger deck, forward facing cabins are a bit larger. I just don't like either of these cabins, have tried both and that's just me. 

Celebrity has pushed these "refrubishments" and cabin upgrades converting the Millennium class ships to offer more exclusivity. I'm not really in to paying a premium fares for special soaps and a shower head or being able to dine in an exclusive restaurant with, aside from maybe a specialty or two, the same food that's served in the main dining rooms. So, my advice is to skip these premium fares. Book an "obstructed" Veranda at the lowest price you can get. Obstructed is a misnomer. The only thing you'll find obstructed is looking straight down. Worst case you'll have the top 10th of a lifeboat in your view. No big deal. This advice varies but skip Tuscan Grill and whatever they are calling the others now (specialty dining venue names change regularly) but book Murano. It really is 5 star dining - or at least it has been for us on past sailings. Tuscan is OK, not great as one of the only 3 or 4 specialty dining options and I'm thinking these might be limited on start-up cruises.

If you favor what I call the glitz of the mega-ships, amusement park level activities and more dining options than you can take part on in a 7n cruise, Millennium will disappoint you. If you just want to sail, Celebrity cruise line is an excellent choice and Millennium a solid cruise ship. Before RCG acquired Celebirty, it was an independent luxury line. The X on the stacks of it's ships signified excellence. It's changed a bit in the 20y we've been cruising that line, almost exclusively, but not much.

Would like to see an Edge class ship activated.  I was told by a Celeb agent they were a priority for re-start , but that was obviously bad info when Millennium was announced.   Nice Milli is leading restart and a surprise (to me).  Although "revolutionized" , it was a partial job, unless they've completed during the down time.  There was even scuttlebutt it was on the "sell" list a few months ago.

17 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

Would like to see an Edge class ship activated.  I was told by a Celeb agent they were a priority for re-start , but that was obviously bad info when Millennium was announced.   Nice Milli is leading restart and a surprise (to me).  Although "revolutionized" , it was a partial job, unless they've completed during the down time.  There was even scuttlebutt it was on the "sell" list a few months ago.

I think that was stated in the days when we all thought Florida would be going by now.  

They've had to adapt and re-think the restart in a way that wasn't conceivable six months ago.

11 hours ago, twangster said:

I think that was stated in the days when we all thought Florida would be going by now.  

They've had to adapt and re-think the restart in a way that wasn't conceivable six months ago.

We would need to see port of FLL or Miami open up to see US Edge class restart.  Doesn't look like that's happening anytime soon.  Maybe similar issue with Oasis class.

12 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

We would need to see port of FLL or Miami open up to see US Edge class restart.  Doesn't look like that's happening anytime soon.  Maybe similar issue with Oasis class.

Just a month ago the CDC led the cruise lines to believe the technical instructions would be in hand any day now.

Got You Reaction GIF by Yevbel

I think the cruise lines have started to see the CDC's true colors.

All bets are off.

Ask and you shall receive! (but not in the Caribbean) ... Athens.

Access_TCC.gif
celebrity_no_tag_.gif
http://www.creative.rccl.com/e-lite/CEL/Common_Elements/bx.gif

bx.gif
Someday IS HERE
bx.gif
LET'S GO!
THE DEBUT OF 
CELEBRITY APEX IS HERE

I am overjoyed. As global travel quickly becomes a reality again, we can announce not only the redeployment of our revolutionized Celebrity Millennium to the Caribbean, but we can DEBUT our luxurious new Celebrity ApexSM as she takes her inaugural voyage starting June 19, 2021. 

headshot_DR_blue_.jpg
On March 30, 2021, your clients will be able to book Eastern Mediterranean itineraries of 6–8 nights beginning in Athens, Greece, visiting the Greek Isles, Cyprus, and Israel — complete with drinks, Wi-Fi, and tips Always IncludedSM*. 

We are so excited to say that new Celebrity Apex itineraries and more information on health and safety protocols will be released very soon! 

14 hours ago, twangster said:

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Ask and you shall receive! (but not in the Caribbean) ... Athens.

Access_TCC.gif
celebrity_no_tag_.gif
http://www.creative.rccl.com/e-lite/CEL/Common_Elements/bx.gif

bx.gif
Someday IS HERE
bx.gif
LET'S GO!
THE DEBUT OF 
CELEBRITY APEX IS HERE

I am overjoyed. As global travel quickly becomes a reality again, we can announce not only the redeployment of our revolutionized Celebrity Millennium to the Caribbean, but we can DEBUT our luxurious new Celebrity ApexSM as she takes her inaugural voyage starting June 19, 2021. 

headshot_DR_blue_.jpg
On March 30, 2021, your clients will be able to book Eastern Mediterranean itineraries of 6–8 nights beginning in Athens, Greece, visiting the Greek Isles, Cyprus, and Israel — complete with drinks, Wi-Fi, and tips Always IncludedSM*. 

We are so excited to say that new Celebrity Apex itineraries and more information on health and safety protocols will be released very soon! 

Apex goes, but from Greece and not western Europe.  That's very positive movement - get those ships in service where you can.  Drip, drip, drip...

26 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

I think RCG is really hoping that the CDC comes around.  Maybe not lifting the CSO but moving it forward.  The hope for 2021 Florida cruises is still very much alive so they don't want to cancel established cruises only to have the CDC suddenly wake up.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Millie is open for booking.

Retreat going fast on some dates.  Going, going... almost gone.

We got ours for 26 June 21. Retreat Royal Suite. Happy, happy, Joy Joy! Airfare to St. Marten is outrageous, though.

Benefit of a great TA.

Edited by rjweber3
Forgot to add line.

54 minutes ago, rjweber3 said:

We got ours for 26 June 21. Retreat Royal Suite. Happy, happy, Joy Joy! Airfare to St. Marten is outrageous, though.

Benefit of a great TA.

Congrats.  When you get on-board, observe  if Tuscan and Luminae were updated.   When we sailed Milli after Revolution update ('19), they were not.  (as well as other public areas) (except Le Petit Chef).  Michaels was successfully converted to the Retreat lounge which is  a nice space.  Retreat lounge allowed 24h access to area which included access to a refrigerator with generous selection to "self help" beverages (adult and otherwise).  The lounge did not offer the same level of service at 3-4pm time frame for tea and sandwiches as when it was Michaels club.  It offered  a self service food station.  (Which will probably change back post-covid).  Suites all updated with new decor.   A sound absorption material was added to the walls so if you bring magnets, they'll only work on non-coated surfaces like doors.  Enjoy.