Cruise Start Date Anticipated - Hyped Incorrectly

Carnival's Princess Cruises and Holland America extend cruise suspensionsF

Carnival Corp. CCL, -5.30% said Tuesday that its Princess Cruises will extend the pause of its cruises sailing out of Seattle through June 27. And Carnival's Holland America Line said it was extending the pause of cruises to now include all June 2021 roundtrip sailings to Alaska from Seattle. "We continue to stay actively engaged in dialogue with authorities in Canada and the United States to understand what cruise opportunities may still exist in Alaska, knowing how important this market is not only to our brand, but to the communities and individuals who depend on our business," said Holland America Line President Gus Antorcha. The extended suspensions come after fellow cruise operator Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. NCLH, -4.72% said earlier Tuesday that it was extending the suspension of all of its cruises through June. Carnival's stock dropped 4.2% in afternoon trading and Norwegian shares shed 4.0%, while shares of fellow cruise operator Royal Caribbean Group RCL, -5.17% slumped 5.2% and the S&P 500 SPX, -0.16% edged up less than 0.1%.

7 hours ago, DisneyWorld30th said:

Travel agents were informed today at 9:15AM that there is Breaking News to be announed to agents tomorrow.  Here was the message:

I can't contain my excitement, I have some late breaking news to share with you all! The anticipation is too much for me to wait another week to share this news so I will be switching up my previously planned Coffee Talk. Join me tomorrow Wednesday, March 17 at 12 p.m. EDT, for an exclusive Coffee Talk with some hot off the press updates. I guarantee this is a session you will not want to miss out on - I'd say this is the news we've all been waiting for!

Maybe the CDC safe sail specs get released to the lines?

15 minutes ago, twangster said:

Meanwhile over at Miami HQ they are beginning to regret the planned big announcement.

scared oh no GIF by CBC

......after realizing they overhyped it. Announcing a new home port in LA is not “the news we’ve all been waiting for”

Don’t get me wrong it’s great news but “the news we’ve all been waiting for” is a restart date for US cruises!

1 hour ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

......after realizing they overhyped it. Announcing a new home port in LA is not “the news we’ve all been waiting for”

Don’t get me wrong it’s great news but “the news we’ve all been waiting for” is a restart date for US cruises!

Agreed.

I heard what @Jill posted, but the follow up email from Vicki that was posted makes no mention of cancel.

In any other year, ship sailing from LA would be news we've been waiting for, but this year that phrase has a completely different context.

Announcing a restart is a pretty big deal but it also admits all cruises prior to the restart date are cancelled.   Plus if the restart involves a small restart like two ships doing short Florida cruises as they've suggested that also admits all other cruises are cancelled.

That's a pretty big message that they'll want to be fully prepared for.  It's the kind of message that will drive the stock price one way or the other.  They'll announce something that big only once they've got a much bigger plan well thought out and ready for consumption by the public.  Not sure but that message might be better delivered by someone higher up.  

No disrespect meant for Vicki but that impacts other brands as well, so maybe it's something Richard delivers, or RCG corporate, coordinated across the brands.

3 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

Carnival's Princess Cruises and Holland America extend cruise suspensionsF

Carnival Corp. CCL, -5.30% said Tuesday that its Princess Cruises will extend the pause of its cruises sailing out of Seattle through June 27. And Carnival's Holland America Line said it was extending the pause of cruises to now include all June 2021 roundtrip sailings to Alaska from Seattle. "We continue to stay actively engaged in dialogue with authorities in Canada and the United States to understand what cruise opportunities may still exist in Alaska, knowing how important this market is not only to our brand, but to the communities and individuals who depend on our business," said Holland America Line President Gus Antorcha. The extended suspensions come after fellow cruise operator Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. NCLH, -4.72% said earlier Tuesday that it was extending the suspension of all of its cruises through June. Carnival's stock dropped 4.2% in afternoon trading and Norwegian shares shed 4.0%, while shares of fellow cruise operator Royal Caribbean Group RCL, -5.17% slumped 5.2% and the S&P 500 SPX, -0.16% edged up less than 0.1%.

Those are Canada dependent sailings....  Not mainstream

It would certainly be a strange way to announce it. Maybe RC plans to announce it simultaneously on all channels at 12 eastern tomorrow?

Honestly though, I doubt it's a restart. It's hard not to be pessimistic at this point, with the CDC releasing nothing since October.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

No disrespect meant for Vicki but that impacts other brands as well, so maybe it's something Richard delivers, or RCG corporate, coordinated across the brands

Great point. It's easy to forget about that aspect.

3 hours ago, nate91 said:

It would certainly be a strange way to announce it. Maybe RC plans to announce it simultaneously on all channels at 12 eastern tomorrow?

Honestly though, I doubt it's a restart. It's hard not to be pessimistic at this point, with the CDC releasing nothing since October.

Watching President Biden's address to the nation gave me hope cruising would resume in July.  But after listening to  Dr. Rachel Walensky (CDC director) talk about the US may need to look at another lock down again thanks to people traveling for spring break it is making it hard to hold on to the hope cruising will resume any time soon.  I'm a naturally optimistic and hopeful individual but every time I listen to this new CDC director I get this gut feeling that she is going to stand in the way of the resumption of cruising in this country as long as she possibly can and no one in Washington D.C. is going to lift a finger to help the cruise industry out.

7 hours ago, JasonOasis said:

Watching President Biden's address to the nation gave me hope cruising would resume in July.  But after listening to  Dr. Rachel Walensky (CDC director) talk about the US may need to look at another lock down again thanks to people traveling for spring break it is making it hard to hold on to the hope cruising will resume any time soon.  I'm a naturally optimistic and hopeful individual but every time I listen to this new CDC director I get this gut feeling that she is going to stand in the way of the resumption of cruising in this country as long as she possibly can and no one in Washington D.C. is going to lift a finger to help the cruise industry out.

The Biden Administration implied the Super Bowl was a SUPER SPREADER event,  among other events. ?...Never Happened.  

So I personally would say to the CDC  "COME ON MAN?" .

1 hour ago, DD474 said:

The Biden Administration implied the Super Bowl was a SUPER SPREADER event,  among other events. ?...Never Happened.  

So I personally would say to the CDC  "COME ON MAN?" .

As someone who was in the stadium for the game (volunteering but not a paying guest) I was curious to see what the impact would be, last I saw was a week or two ago and they had traced 57 infections back to the game and ALL affiliated events.

9 hours ago, JasonOasis said:

My reaction was the opposite, hearing the President suggesting that if we buckle down and follow all the rules, etc. we might get to a place four months from now that Florida got to almost a year ago sounded so pathetic.

Given that the only time the CDC has shown any interest in even thinking about moving cruising forward is when the occupant of the White House applies pressure, I don't see cruising starting anytime soon.

I'm desperately hoping but don't see it.

7 minutes ago, jticarruthers said:

My reaction was the opposite, hearing the President suggesting that if we buckle down and follow all the rules, etc. we might get to a place four months from now that Florida got to almost a year ago sounded so pathetic.

Given that the only time the CDC has shown any interest in even thinking about moving cruising forward is when the occupant of the White House applies pressure, I don't see cruising starting anytime soon.

The CDC is an interesting agency.   It is an example of government doing what it does best.  Nothing.

When a cruise ship had an outbreak off the California coast the CDC did nothing.  They didn't step in to help, they kept the ship offshore doing circles in the ocean.  This pretty closely followed the mistakes made by public health officials in Japan that kept guests on the ship which exacerbated the outbreak.  To cover up it's failures and the failures of Japan's version of the CDC, the CDC... blamed the cruise lines.

At the same time the virus was running wild through nursing homes killing at an alarming rate and the CDC did nothing but watch.  

When the CDC wanted to extend the cruise ship ban they did just that only changing the name of the orders they used to do so.  In the process they consumed pages of the order to... blame the cruise lines.

Now the CDC continues to keep the industry shutdown through its continued inaction and really the only thing the agency is good at which is... doing nothing.

It seems to me the occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave really has little bearing on the outcome.   

The CDC has one continued goal that hasn't wavered and that is... to do nothing but blame the cruise lines for the CDC's failures.  Despite hundreds of experts and scientists the CDC has allowed the virus to run rampant throughout our communities while they do nothing meaningful to stop it. 

Even today the biggest action the CDC has taken to safeguard America is to ban cruise ships.  Around 15% of Americans have taken a cruise so it's no wonder this great plan from the CDC to save America hasn't stopped the virus from spreading in America.

Blame the current administration or blame the previous administration to suit your political alliance but the real villain here is the CDC.

13 minutes ago, twangster said:

The CDC is an interesting agency.   It is an example of government doing what it does best.  Nothing.

When a cruise ship had an outbreak off the California coast the CDC did nothing.  They didn't step in to help, they kept the ship offshore doing circles in the ocean.  This pretty closely followed the mistakes made by public health officials in Japan that kept guests on the ship which exacerbated the outbreak.  To cover up it's failures and the failures of Japan's version of the CDC, the CDC... blamed the cruise lines.

At the same time the virus was running wild through nursing homes killing at an alarming rate and the CDC did nothing but watch.  

When the CDC wanted to extend the cruise ship ban they did just that only changing the name of the orders they used to do so.  In the process they consumed pages of the order to... blame the cruise lines.

Now the CDC continues to keep the industry shutdown through its continued inaction and really the only thing the agency is good at which is... doing nothing.

It seems to me the occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave really has little bearing on the outcome.   

The CDC has one continued goal that hasn't wavered and that is... to do nothing but blame the cruise lines for the CDC's failures.  Despite hundreds of experts and scientists the CDC has allowed the virus to run rampant throughout our communities while they do nothing meaningful to stop it. 

Even today the biggest action the CDC has taken to safeguard America is to ban cruise ships.  Around 15% of Americans have taken a cruise so it's no wonder this great plan from the CDC to save America hasn't stopped the virus from spreading in America.

Blame the current administration or blame the previous administration to suit your political alliance but the real villain here is the CDC.

I agree.

I just don’t understand their hatred/ignorance/inaction against cruise industry.

5 minutes ago, mook1525 said:

I agree.

I just don’t understand their hatred/ignorance/inaction against cruise industry.

I'm not sure they really "hate" the cruise industry per se.  I think it's more of a fixation on the cruise industry b/c, as @twangstersuggests, the cruise industry is the only thing they can fully control.  Even if their control isn't having any positive effect on the plague (which we really can't quantify one way or the other), they can pretend to be busy keeping us safe while essentially, doing nothing.  It gives their lives (and jobs) meaning.

It doesn't help that the cruise industry became an obvious and immediate target at the beginning of this nightmare.  The American airlines and other modes of domestic and international travel exact influential lobbying pressure so their limitations were minimized but the cruise industry does not have nearly that same level of political pressure.

The funny thing is, especially in hindsight, how cruising WASN'T a "petri dish" for covid.

Look at the poster child for anti-cruising. The Diamond Princess. Despite a lot more people having covid upon boarding than originally thought (though one single guy is blamed for all of it) and despite such an old age of cruisers on that ship (69), and despite having no mitigation/treatment/testing protocols on board, they still only had a couple hundred symptomatic cases. People are worried now about an entire ship getting covid, which is pretty much impossible based on that.

58 minutes ago, jticarruthers said:

Instead of calling it a "Cruise ", let's call it a "Riot"(aka peaceful protest).

Then the CDC will say nothing and look the other way. ?

1 hour ago, jticarruthers said:

As someone who was in the stadium for the game (volunteering but not a paying guest) I was curious to see what the impact would be, last I saw was a week or two ago and they had traced 57 infections back to the game and ALL affiliated events.

My wife and I will be in Palm Harbor next month..?. We've both had our 2nd shots,  so we're good to go.  

CDC can't lay a glove on us.

10 hours ago, JasonOasis said:

Uncle Joe needs to ? understand..We've been having cookouts for the past year and this 4th of July is no different..?