Google Fi

DocLC

I've just switched to a Nexus 6P after nearly 10 years of using an iPhone. While I'll be using my ATT service on it when I return from there Serenade, I thought I'd try out Google's own service, Google Fi, as it offers unlimited international texts and inexpensive international calling. Data is $10 per gigabyte and they refund any unused data charges. To my surprise, these rates apply on the ship, too, even when using Cellular at Sea. If you travel a lot and use Android, it might be worth checking out although it only works on the Nexus devices so far.

This is very interesting.  I'll admit I'm a bit skeptical for several reasons (including conflicting reports on various forums), but it could be.  The one thing I'd remind you is that even if it does work out in this way, data service will be very slow, so if you're looking for anything more than email, Voom will still be the way to go.  Please report back though.

ps - I'm a 6P user, big fan of the device, I just wish I had longer thumbs.

I will do, Billy. I spoke to Fi Customer Service last night and confirmed. I printed a transcript of the chat as backup just in case. You are right, though, about data spread, 256 kbits I believe. However, Boom in Northern Europe isn't working so well, so I might end up with a better, even if slow, connection.

I will do, Billy. I spoke to Fi Customer Service last night and confirmed. I printed a transcript of the chat as backup just in case. You are right, though, about data spread, 256 kbits I believe. However, Boom in Northern Europe isn't working so well, so I might end up with a better, even if slow, connection.

Fi was great even when Google throttled data connection speeds while abroad to 256Mbps. But that cap has been removed, so now you can get the full speed of the local carrier. This is huge news because it's an unprecedented service.

Google claims that it now is "able to deliver speeds 10-20X faster than before." This is a sudden, unexpected and dizzying upgrade from 2G to LTE, where available -- and all for a simple, low price.

From: http://www.computerworld.com/article/3095992/wireless-networking/why-google-fi-because-its-fast-cheap-and-easy.html

Dated Jul 18, 2016

Fi was great even when Google throttled data connection speeds while abroad to 256Mbps. But that cap has been removed, so now you can get the full speed of the local carrier. This is huge news because it's an unprecedented service.

Google claims that it now is "able to deliver speeds 10-20X faster than before." This is a sudden, unexpected and dizzying upgrade from 2G to LTE, where available -- and all for a simple, low price.

From: http://www.computerworld.com/article/3095992/wireless-networking/why-google-fi-because-its-fast-cheap-and-easy.html

Dated Jul 18, 2016

Saw this announcement the other day.  Huge for international travel, and makes me really hope that TMO follows suit.  That in mind, I don't think the speed issue on board is related to the throttling, but to the capabilities of the onboard cellular networks.  To DocLC's point though, it may be faster than non-Voom speeds.

Saw this announcement the other day.  Huge for international travel, and makes me really hope that TMO follows suit.  That in mind, I don't think the speed issue on board is related to the throttling, but to the capabilities of the onboard cellular networks.  To DocLC's point though, it may be faster than non-Voom speeds.

Good point with regards to Cellular at Sea. However, I suspect I'll be using more land-based cellular this tip as the ship spends five overnights in port. Also, it will be nice to be able to text the wife onboard if needed.

Does it matter who the provider is?

Google Fi is the carrier.  They're an MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator), which means they resell other carrier's services and repackage the otfferings in terms of pricing and features.  Currently, Google Fi is unique in a few ways, primarily in that they don't rely on a single network (they switch between T-Mobile, Sprint, US Cellular, and WiFi), and their pricing is very simplified, $20/mo for text and voice, plus $10/gig of data, pay only for what you use.  

T-Mobile also includes international roaming, though the speeds are slow, except in the US, Mexico, and Canada.

• 2 weeks later...

I have used TMobile in a bunch of ports and countries, it is noticeably slower than US LTE service but for facebook/web surfing its not bad. Posted batches of about 40 photos at a time to Facebook off my Nexus 6P at each port of call in Europe last week and had no issues ... a minute or two to upload them all.

• 2 weeks later...

Me neither. I'm back to my grandfathered unlimited plan, but will keep the Fi sim for travels next year.

I was going to get a Fi SIM just for travel (I use Google Voice, so switching numbers doesn't matter to me), but it would end up costing me a good bit just sitting there.  If I could freeze it for 6+ months a year I'd be good, but it's capped at 3.

I was going to get a Fi SIM just for travel (I use Google Voice, so switching numbers doesn't matter to me), but it would end up costing me a good bit just sitting there. If I could freeze it for 6+ months a year I'd be good, but it's capped at 3.

True about freezing, but you can just cancel and then create a new account months later. The only issue is that you're issued a new phone number, which isn't an issue for you.

True about freezing, but you can just cancel and then create a new account months later. The only issue is that you're issued a new phone number, which isn't an issue for you.

Thought about it, but seems a pain.  I'd pay for the convinience of not doing that, but I reject the going rate of said convinience.  I'm hard to please.

I bother TMO pretty regularly (via customer service chat, phone, and twitter) about how great it would be if they'd follow suit and offer LTE in countries other than Mexico and Canada.  They have a highspeed package for international, but it's garbage.