Quantum Class Dining Changes

Tylor

So, now that we know for sure that the Quantum class will not have a traditional main dining room in favor of a more "freestyle" or "my time dining" approach, what are your thoughts?

As details unfold it looks like instead of there being 1 main dining room, there will be separate larger complementary dining venues which will allow guests to either rotate between them, similar to NCL Freestyle Dining, or simply book a space in the restaurant, similar to My Time Dining, which is already an option on other Royal Caribbean ships.

We will find out tonight after the Quantum Reveal exactly what restaurants will be available on Quantum of the Seas and exactly how dining on the Quantum class will work. A restaurant list was accidentally leaked for Anthem of the Seas, which Matt has posted on the blog.

My opinion: I'm excited for the changes. I have said for a long time that there are many similarities between Quantum Class and Celebrity Cruises Solstice Class. The restaurant list also has similarities. Celebrity is in the process of creating a suite restaurant on each ship, Silk (Silk Harvest Pan Asian on Celebrity), and Michael's Pub (Celebrity has a Michael's Club). 

Not that I'm bored with the current restaurant setup on Royal Caribbean ships, but I welcome the new changes and look forward to new menu offerings in the new restaurants. Also I think a change in scenery each night would be great.

I'll wait to comment until after tonight's event because there's some details of how this will all work that we can't figure out from deck plans alone.

If they do it right, I think it could be a great change.  I'm hoping there's a means of your wait staff following you around, similar to what DCL does.  

I am not sure if this type of dining will be good or not.  If you don't have assigned seating, then you don't end up meeting anyone and getting to know them.  You also don't have wait staff that knows your preferences, you will have to start over every night.  Then there is the problem of having to agree with your party on where you want to eat that night and having to plan months in advance and book your dining.  Seems like a head ache to me.  I am a picky eater, so I can see us having to have two meals every night until I find something I like.  I know on the Oasis there was not one thing in the Solarium area I would eat, so we would have to go to the windjammer for lunch for me then to the solarium for lunch for my husband if he wanted to eat there.  I don't like sounding negative because i am generally a very posative person but this announcement has me a little frightened that it will just bring unnessisary stress to an already very expensive vacation.

I think the new dining is awesome. It's different and that's what being on vacation is about. I've always loved the speciality restaurants and think this is a fresh and exciting new arrangement for dining. 

The concept grew on me a lot, especially after the event last week.  I agree it's something fresh and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

• 2 weeks later...