No cruising for Canadians this summer?

To all my fellow Canadians here on the message board, just saw this come up on my news feed.  Hints at when the border might open up for us.   Doesn't look good for us even if cruises do resume in the summer.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/vaccine-and-case-counts-will-determine-when-border-opens-says-trudeau-1.5344805

@Lovetocruise2002, I hope this helps. My nextdoor neighbors live in Canada 6 months and then here in Florida, they arrived home 3 days ago. We had an outdoor driveway get together and they said a negative covid test and they were on their way, No hassle flying in, I took a walk this morning almost all of our Canadian friends and neighbors are back. Fly here, I'll give you my address, you are my cousin, then board that ship! CAVEAT, must fly not drive. That is what they told me last night. 

1 hour ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

My next booked cruise is January 2022. After already having 6 cancelled I accepted that even if cruises do start up this summer or fall in US it would be an incredible hassle as a Canadian to try to get on one of the first cruises ?

Totally agree. I will be ecstatic if I can get on my Allure 12/19/21 sailing at this point.

It's not so much that the border is "closed" but rather restrictions to re-entering are heavy.  Although flying would be the only feasible way.  Flight down, flight back (jumping through all of the hoops such as proof of tests) and then it seems relatively safe to completely ignore the 'mandatory' three day Government hotel stay.  Nobody actually physically drags you away and if fines are issued they have not been successfully tried in court (fines might be cheaper than hotel stay anyway). Still would need to do the 14 day at home quarantine.  I know all of this is much easier said than done but it is doable.  I don't like the term "closed" if it isn't truly closed.  

8 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Hey wait a minute !  We have a Star Class cruise together in August !  Don’t give up on that so easily !  ???

I won’t be able to get on that one likely. ? Border closure issue remember? Also cannot quarantine when I get home. It would run into the school year. I already had a good cry over that sailing. RLS ?

43 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I won’t be able to get on that one likely. ? Border closure issue remember? Also cannot quarantine when I get home. It would run into the school year. I already had a good cry over that sailing. RLS ?

Rebel !  Revolt !  Storm the border !  Come live in Free Florida !

7 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I'm headed to the mountains this summer....

Start thinking about the Western Canada live blog. I feel invested in this road trip and want to follow along.  I keep envisioning Planes, Trains and Automobiles. One of my favorite parts “those aren’t pillows” ? We just need to get you guys on a train ? 

14 minutes ago, Jax said:

Start thinking about the Western Canada live blog. I feel invested in this road trip and want to follow along.  I keep envisioning Planes, Trains and Automobiles. One of my favorite parts “those aren’t pillows” ? We just need to get you guys on a train ? 

No trains but maybe I can throw a “cruise” in there somehow. ??

17 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

To all my fellow Canadians here on the message board, just saw this come up on my news feed.  Hints at when the border might open up for us.   Doesn't look good for us even if cruises do resume in the summer.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/vaccine-and-case-counts-will-determine-when-border-opens-says-trudeau-1.5344805

I am afraid like @Lovetocruise2002 and other Canadians, this is the only cruise ship I will be on this coming summer:

No photo description available.

Stay Safe, Stay Apart, Stay Connected,

Curt from Canada

Feel the same as @Lovetocruise2002 

We have a sailing in October that we would love to be on but between the delays in vaccination and issues crossing the border and having to quarantine in government hotel or bypass that, pay fines and still isolate at home, it will be challenging.

On top of it all there is a whole shaming culture developing over those who choose to travel even if they observe all the rules and do not endanger others.

16 minutes ago, Marc Van Niekerk said:

On top of it all there is a whole shaming culture developing over those who choose to travel even if they observe all the rules and do not endanger others.

Feel free to borrow my name and travel under an assumed identity. 

It can be the summer of the Twangster Crown Affair.

4c139a0491b8c55a614865faa6855adc.jpg

1 hour ago, Marc Van Niekerk said:

there is a whole shaming culture developing over those who choose to travel even if they observe all the rules and do not endanger others.

We have the same thing developing here for those who choose not to get vaccinated.  It’s the whole “blue eyes vs brown eyes” experiment.

I am not surprised at all. We are sooo slow that its going to be Sept before I get a vaccine here in Canada. So while Americans may be all done and partying by July 4th(or already in Florida) it aint happening like that here.

We are "HOPING" by summer we can travel to our neighboring province to visit family without have to quarantine for a month(2weeks there and 2 weeks back). it's insane, but its the law here in Canada or at least for provinces on this side of the country.

I am hoping my cruise in Nov will be ago...and I would be probably even willing to quarantine to make it happen when I get back. But I cant see why by end of Sept we wouldn't be able to travel back and forth assuming we are vaccinated!

That being said, I am not looking at any other cruises till 2022 at this point.

I just don't understand.  Now, granted I'm an ignorant American, but why is the Canadian government being so tough?  It's not like y'all are a third world country, so why isn't everyone getting vaccinated??

I hate it for you guys; seems like you've been "captive" for so long.   Hey - that pipeline ain't being used, so y'all should just tunnel to it!

Stay strong

2 hours ago, Floski said:

I just don't understand.  Now, granted I'm an ignorant American, but why is the Canadian government being so tough?  It's not like y'all are a third world country, so why isn't everyone getting vaccinated??

I hate it for you guys; seems like you've been "captive" for so long.   Hey - that pipeline ain't being used, so y'all should just tunnel to it!

Stay strong

Long story short, Canada isn’t producing the vaccine in house. We are dependent on other countries to supply it. The story goes downhill from there but that is not a story for these message boards. ?

As a Canadian I have a cruise booked for December 26, 2021 that we are hoping to get on! As well for my sisters 21 birthday this July and she wants to go to Orlando but I'm not holding out hope to even be able to cross the border. As well I have a vacation booked for Las Vegas in the middle of August for my mothers wedding that has been planned for 2 years so heres hoping for something. IF all else fails I'm going to go to Banff this summer. 

1 hour ago, Kelslovestocruise said:

As a Canadian I have a cruise booked for December 26, 2021 that we are hoping to get on! As well for my sisters 21 birthday this July and she wants to go to Orlando but I'm not holding out hope to even be able to cross the border. As well I have a vacation booked for Las Vegas in the middle of August for my mothers wedding that has been planned for 2 years so heres hoping for something. IF all else fails I'm going to go to Banff this summer. 

I have an Allure December 2021 sailing that I am afraid will be the first one I am able to get on, hopefully.

We are headed to Banff/Lake Louise this summer, because doubt the border will be open by then.

51 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I have an Allure December 2021 sailing that I am afraid will be the first one I am able to get on, hopefully.

We are headed to Banff/Lake Louise this summer, because doubt the border will be open by then. 

My December on Oasis is the first cruise I have booked that I have a chance of being on as a teacher it’s not possible to travel a lot of the year. Also have a July 2022 cruise on Odyssey in Europe booked and am looking at an Allure for March of 2023. We shall see what happens. Hopefully vaccine roll out will start moving quicker. 

Also doubtful for us Canadians.  We have August which I know won't happen but just don't want to pull the trigger and cancel until we have to.

Then we have Dec 2021...DH is more hopeful than me on this one. I'm mentally preparing myself for us having to cancel.  It's out of NJ so probably not one of the first ships to start up...And then there is the whole border issue...and even more of a bottleneck is the fact that vaccines are not yet available for our younger one, who is turning 12 this year.

I'm even questioning if we'll make March 2022.

1 hour ago, Kelslovestocruise said:

being on as a teacher it’s not possible to travel a lot of the year.

Right in the same "boat" as you.  Holidays and summers only for us too.  

1 hour ago, WannaCruise said:

I'm even questioning if we'll make March 2022.

I'm not missing this one.  With or without my kids.  But I am hopeful that teenagers will be vaccinated by then.

12 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

We’ll take all the vaccines we can get since we aren’t producing any domestically 

14 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Isn't AZ the one that was halted ?

Yes, in Europe. They say it’s different batches than what we got here in Canada and I think I had read the batch the US is sending us is produced domestically. At this point, I agree with @Vancity Cruiser, I will take whatever I can get!