Shot, Test, Mask?

Neesa

I was able to get my first shot yesterday thanks to people who didn't show up.  There is a mass vaccination site run by FEMA not far from our house and a few of my coworkers told me they got their first shot because they continually check the cities vaccination website starting around 3 or 4 pm.  At first I wasn't going to do it because my mind was set on getting vaccinated this summer but if these vaccines are approved for children 6 and older I began to fell like there would still be a supply and demand issue well into the fall because the priority would be getting children vaccinated so all schools around d this country could fully reopen in the fall.  With two cruises schedule for this fall  I decided to check the cities vaccination site at 4 pm and there were slots available.  The vaccination cite closes at 8pm so both my husband and I got our first shot of Pfizer yesterday evening at 7:30pm and all thanks to no shows and the city and FEMA not wanting to waste any doses. 

My arm is really sore and I had a headache come on about 45 minutes to an hour after receiving the shot.  Since it was already evening once that headache kicked in I just took a shower and went to bed.  I woke up this morning the headache was gone, I have not felt any other side effects except my arm is still hurting at the injection site. 

On 3/17/2021 at 10:44 AM, KyleW22 said:

I'm curious if the people who have severe reactions to the vaccine are the same people who would've had a severe reaction to covid if they got it. That might explain why the reactions vary by person.

Once again, this isn't a scientific study, but I have a co-worker that had a very severe case of COVID (hospitalized for 2 weeks, on oxygen for over a month) and then went ahead and got the vaccine.

He had a fairly mild reaction to the vaccine.  Sore arm and headache for a couple days.

My wife and I both work in jobs dealing with the public and have both had the vaccine.  Half of my staff was out at one time with the virus or due to exposure and I also have my own issues so it was a no brainer. But since I am "immune" since that is what an immunization is supposed to do I will not be wearing a mask. I will continue to practice proper hygiene just like we did on pre rona cruises and we will be fine.  

22 hours ago, mbk999 said:

I wonder about that too.  I know people who have had zero reactions and those who've spent 24-36 hours in bed from each of the three vaccines.  I'm one shot in with Pfizer and I waited the 2 hours at M&T stadium.  Nobody was thrilled to be in line that long but I didn't hear anyone complaining too much.  

As a bit of a data geek, I am really curious to see when all is said and done and we have billions of injections around the world to have data on from many different vaccines, what the facts will show about which, or even if, there is one that caused more side effects than others. Because yeah, like you, I know people who have had all three and have had just wildly different reactions. It's fascinating to me. 

I suddenly became eligible on Monday and was able to get an appointment at my regular doctor's office, from my regular nurse, on Wednesday of that week. 

16 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I'm eligible today for a vaccine but none of the signup websites for my state have been updated to allow my group to register.

Not sure how it works by you, but mine weren't either. What I ended up doing was calling my doctor and saying "hey, I am not eligible until early next week, but what's the soonest after that I can get an appointment?" and they got one for me. They said as long as they knew I was becoming eligible and had an appointment at least one second after that eligibility begins, they were good with it ?

Even when I logged in to my doctor's portal, it showed my appointment being part of "Phase 2", even though I am Phase 3, because their system hadn't actually updated to show Phase 3 yet. But it worked. My mother-in-law just did the same thing - she's not eligible in her state until April 9, but she was able to get an appointment for April 12 under the knowledge that she would be eligible by the time the needle hit her arm. 

10 minutes ago, Zacharius said:

Not sure how it works by you, but mine weren't either. What I ended up doing was calling my doctor and saying "hey, I am not eligible until early next week, but what's the soonest after that I can get an appointment?" and they got one for me. They said as long as they knew I was becoming eligible and had an appointment at least one second after that eligibility begins, they were good with it ?

Even when I logged in to my doctor's portal, it showed my appointment being part of "Phase 2", even though I am Phase 3, because their system hadn't actually updated to show Phase 3 yet. But it worked. My mother-in-law just did the same thing - she's not eligible in her state until April 9, but she was able to get an appointment for April 12 under the knowledge that she would be eligible by the time the needle hit her arm. 

The state-level vaccination you basically just put your name on a list and wait until they notify you (my wife got notified the first day she was eligible). The pharmacy-level vaccination program is more a direct signup

My wife and I had our first Pfizer shot this past week...no side effects for either of us. Shot #2 in a few weeks. 

Based on conversations with several doctors and lots of research, we see getting the COVID vaccine as a personal risk management decision. If it also makes it easier and safer to travel, then being vaccinated is a wonderful bonus.

Encouraging news from NY Times on vaccination efficacy,

"In Britain, the daily number of new Covid cases has fallen by more than 90 percent since peaking in early January. The decline is larger than in virtually any other country. (In the U.S., new cases have fallen 79 percent since January.) Given that the contagious B.1.1.7 variant was first discovered in Britain and is now the country’s dominant virus form, “Britain’s free-fall in cases is all the more impressive,” Wachter told me. “Clearly their vaccination strategy has been highly effective.”"

2 hours ago, Zacharius said:

I suddenly became eligible on Monday and was able to get an appointment at my regular doctor's office, from my regular nurse, on Wednesday of that week. 

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I'm eligible today for a vaccine but none of the signup websites for my state have been updated to allow my group to register.

It's been an "interesting" process signing up for these.  Persistence is the key.  I'd check the CVS/Walgreens sites every morning and periodically throughout the day.  You just have to jump on it the minute you see something available.  My daughter works in a school system in another state and since I am up before the crack of down, i've been trying to get her an appointment all week.  I was finally able to sign her up today but that was around 0615. 

That's good about the doctor's offices getting them.  Mine has just sent out emails saying they don't have it yet so try and get it from other means as soon as it is available.  

On 3/17/2021 at 11:44 AM, KyleW22 said:

I'm curious if the people who have severe reactions to the vaccine are the same people who would've had a severe reaction to covid if they got it. That might explain why the reactions vary by person.

On that train...

My cousin reacted horribly to the vaccine. Inflamed rashes all over her body that lasted for 10 days. She's now seeing an allergist/immunologist to monitor -  her symptoms were bad enough to skip the 2nd shot according to the CDC and her doc. While talking to the doc she realizes when she was sick in April it was likely covid since she had these same symptoms on a smaller scale (and had antibodies). No one thought she had Covid in April because her symptoms weren't the norm. She works in the ER so she had PLENTY of opinions.

On 3/12/2021 at 2:16 PM, Neesa said:

Being in my 50's we are not Covid Shot eligible age in Florida right now. We are not fans nor do we usually partake in vaccines. Weighing this with lots of research, I believe I would only get the shot if RCCL mandates to sail. If I am running around trying to get covid testing and results in a very slim window, then must wear a mask the entire sailing I am leaning towards not getting vaccinated. We have been freedom living, going to school, out to eat etc (all very mindfully) daughter in school successfully since August. 

I am trying to get out of my own bubble and listen to some other points of view regarding covid behaviors coupled with other sailing families, no politics just pure thoughts regarding what you guys have been mulling over the first chance you get to sail.. Thanks so much!

For those who don't have a medical reason NOT to get the vaccine, my wife and I believe getting the vaccine is important for the safety of others.  It isn't just one's own health at stake, it is reducing the likelihood that one will be a "carrier", it is increasing herd immunity, reducing the chance of dangerous variants, etc.  Now I admit I am selfish about my own life -- I want to have a happy and enriching life -- but I find that part of the enrichment I receive from cruising is what I gain from others.  I wouldn't want to put others' health at risk unnecessarily.  We have been fully vaccinated, we are booked twice in 2022, and we will willingly follow all protocols in place.  We would prefer not needing to wear a mask all the time for the sheer pleasure, but my wife and I will make the best of whatever circumstances we are in when we cruise.   I have a relative who doubts she can safely take the vaccine for medical reasons, so I understand those who cannot participate in public health that way.  I hope everyone can be happy and safe whether they cruise or not.

First dose appointment tomorrow.  

State age limit officially drops as of tomorrow but one of pharmacies offering shots has lowered the age limit on their website today as they said they would since all appointments offered begin tomorrow.

Feeling more confident now I'll be ready to meet any vaccine requirement to cruise and maybe even be ready for any test cruises that could be coming.

I'm ready to travel again.  

29 minutes ago, twangster said:

State age limit officially drops as of tomorrow but one of pharmacies offering shots has lowered the age limit on their website today as they said they would since all appointments offered begin tomorrow.

Feeling more confident now I'll be ready to meet any vaccine requirement to cruise and maybe even be ready for any test cruises that could be coming.

I'm not old enough yet ? but i have complete confidence that i will be eligible in early April which gives plenty of time before the cruise in June.

I know several people that became eligible with the latest age drop here in florida and every one of them managed to get an appointment within 7 days ... so pretty sure it wont be a problem for me.

I get my first shot next Sunday (those few extra pounds that "getting older" has done to me is paying off!).

Wife is already fully vaxxed (teacher).

I'll be anxious to see truly what the rules will be for kids. I'm not concerned they'll be "banned" due to not getting vaccinated but I'm not thrilled with the idea of my 9 yr old getting a brain massage with the nasal swab when he's not actually sick. Hopefully testing requirements will evolve by the time these cruises actually happen.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

I just got my second dose of the Pfizer vaccine on Friday.. My arm is sore but other than that I'm fine.. Normally I'm ant-vax (wont ever get a flu shot) but if it gets us back on a ship mask free then I've done my part.. 

One of the things that we have found in our state for our friends and loved ones that are not "age" eligible is the inoculation centers have "waste" lists each day where people did not show for their scheduled vaccinations for whatever reason. At a certain time, the center starts contacting those on the list to come in and receive their shot. This is irrespective of their age. You have to be able to arrive at the center within a short period or the center will go to the next on the list. This has allow less waste of the precious vaccine and gotten more people with shots in the arm. These lists are not widely published but if you look you can find them. Maybe more centers could be proactive like this and get even more people vaccinated.

5 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I'll be anxious to see truly what the rules will be for kids. I'm not concerned they'll be "banned" due to not getting vaccinated but I'm not thrilled with the idea of my 9 yr old getting a brain massage with the nasal swab when he's not actually sick. Hopefully testing requirements will evolve by the time these cruises actually happen.

Does no one realize that there is a highly effective RT-PCR test done by swabbing one's cheek?  My 11 yo son has had it done 3x now.  No one has to do the "nasal swab" test.  The cheek swab is called the "buccal" swab.  Look it up in your area.  They are available.  Results usually take about 24-36 hours.

Having done both versions of the test myself, the cheek swab is much more pleasant and doesn't make you cry (lacrimal reflex).

5 hours ago, CrznTxn said:

One of the things that we have found in our state for our friends and loved ones that are not "age" eligible is the inoculation centers have "waste" lists each day where people did not show for their scheduled vaccinations for whatever reason. At a certain time, the center starts contacting those on the list to come in and receive their shot. This is irrespective of their age. You have to be able to arrive at the center within a short period or the center will go to the next on the list. This has allow less waste of the precious vaccine and gotten more people with shots in the arm. These lists are not widely published but if you look you can find them. Maybe more centers could be proactive like this and get even more people vaccinated.

Yes!  This and volunteering has gotten many of my friends the vaccine who have health issues that are not listed on the precious CDC list a chance to get the vaccine before their age group.  If you get on a "waste" list or volunteer they will give out the jabs to you typically at the end of the day before the vaccine goes outside of its 'safe to use' window. I have a friend who was volunteering in Galveston County this weekend so that she could get the shot and be safe soon to visit with her grandparents. She was able to be vaccinated at the end of her shift Saturday with leftover vaccine that would otherwise have to be thrown away.

16 minutes ago, emmef said:

Does no one realize that there is a highly effective RT-PCR test done by swabbing one's cheek?  My 11 yo son has had it done 3x now.  No one has to do the "nasal swab" test.  The cheek swab is called the "buccal" swab.  Look it up in your area.  They are available.  Results usually take about 24-36 hours.

Having done both versions of the test myself, the cheek swab is much more pleasant and doesn't make you cry (lacrimal reflex).

The saliva test is even better (also RT-PCR). I've done 3. Pretty handy (although as a woman I was really never taught to spit well when I was a child, lol).  I'm hoping for something like cheek or saliva for these cruising tests.

6 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I'm hoping for something like cheek or saliva for these cruising tests.

You and me both!  We have bookings in June (probably a goner), August and December this year.  Just wanna get on a ship!!!!  NEED to get away from my house. ? Even if I have to mask up. I'll do it- happily!

5 minutes ago, emmef said:

You and me both!  We have bookings in June (probably a goner), August and December this year.  Just wanna get on a ship!!!!  NEED to get away from my house. ? Even if I have to mask up. I'll do it- happily!

I may be stuck at home for a while yet.  I'm not sure that my better half will be ready to go anywhere still for a while. 

For those of you that are eligible to get the shots, you are lucky I guess. But some of us cannot have the shots so I would venture to say that our cruising days are over. I am awaiting the word from RCCL and if that is the case all of cruises will have to cancelled. It may be time to look at other vacation ideas.

23 minutes ago, Dave Penney said:

But some of us cannot have the shots so I would venture to say that our cruising days are over. 

There have been mentions that there may be medical exemptions.  It would be best to wait and see. I know many who are not able to have the shots due to different medical reasons.  The hope is that there will be a medical exemption if you provide adequate proof from your doctor that you are not able to get the shot.  I do have the feeling though that this will be a process and not super easy to do. You may have to sign a release of liability or similar.

I just thought I would throw in my $.02.  I have nothing against vaccines, in fact I volunteered to be in the phase II for the Pfizer and Moderna tests but was not needed.

Unfortunately I had not qualified for the vaccine and ended up coming down with Covid.  For those of you sitting on the fence of whether or not you should get it because it might make your arm hurt or you might have a headache for a day, take it from me, I would have done that every day for a month instead of getting Covid.  It is not a pleasant experience and I did not have a case which required hospitalization.  

A friend of mine caught the virus the day before I did.  She is now dead.  

The shot is better than either of the alternatives.

If you get a choice, choose the Pfizer injection because, after all, that is "Made in Michigan"!!

22 hours ago, emmef said:

It depends on the testing requirements of the country that you are entering.  Aruba, for example, doesn't accept the cheek-only swabs and it must be a nasal swab.

9 minutes ago, DublinFC said:

Does anyone know if there is a requirement on which covid vaccine is required for the Adventure of the Seas and potentially future sailings?  Do we need the Pizer/Moderna 2 step vaccine or is the Johnson and Johnson 1 step satisfactory?

I doubt there will be a rule, as long as you're fully vaccinated. J&J 1 shot is full vaccination, just like Pfizer/Moderna 2 shot. 

1 hour ago, Dave Penney said:

For those of you that are eligible to get the shots, you are lucky I guess. But some of us cannot have the shots so I would venture to say that our cruising days are over. I am awaiting the word from RCCL and if that is the case all of cruises will have to cancelled. It may be time to look at other vacation ideas.

I'm not sure why you aren't eligible to take the vaccine, so I'm probably speaking out of line.  If so, I'm sorry. Just trying to be helpful.

For those that live close enough, at least 2 counties in Texas (Orange & Hardin) and possibly a third (Galveston) are open to all comers.  You must be at least 16, but otherwise no restrictions.  I'm not sure if you need to be a resident of Texas, but you absolutely do not have to be a resident of these counties. I got my first shot in Orange last week and I do not live in Orange County Texas.

8 minutes ago, DublinFC said:

Does anyone know if there is a requirement on which covid vaccine is required for the Adventure of the Seas and potentially future sailings?  Do we need the Pizer/Moderna 2 step vaccine or is the Johnson and Johnson 1 step satisfactory?

Any of the vaccines approved for emergency use in USA are acceptable

9 minutes ago, Matt said:

Any of the vaccines approved for emergency use in USA are acceptable

What a pain it'll be for RC to try to verify vaccinations. There are 9 vaccines (at least) being administered or about to be administered worldwide, but only 3 (probably 5 by the time cruises start) are available in the USA.