Shot, Test, Mask?

Neesa

14 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

What a pain it'll be for RC to try to verify vaccinations. There are 9 vaccines (at least) being administered or about to be administered worldwide, but only 3 (probably 5 by the time cruises start) are available in the USA.

That's definitely the bigger issue...Astra Zeneca, Sputnik, etc. etc., it'll be interesting to see which ones will or will not be accepted. 

I live in the UK and my view is that everyone who can should get the vaccine. In my opinion its the only way out of the pandemic and so I struggle to find any plausible argument against taking the vaccine. I’m only 19 so will be amongst the last to be offered it but when my time comes I will certainly be taking it. If Royal Caribbean mandates the having to have had the vaccine to sail I think thats a good ideas as there is a lot less chance of transmission of the virus and therefore a lot less likely cruising could be disrupted. Also in the fullness of time hopefully the vaccine can mean other measures like masks could be removed sooner. Anyway I cannot wait to cruise again!!

24 minutes ago, Zacharius said:

That's definitely the bigger issue...Astra Zeneca, Sputnik, etc. etc., it'll be interesting to see which ones will or will not be accepted. 

On the other hand though, with international travel restrictions of one form or another still pretty strict, I wouldn't think you'd see too many nationalities flying out of the Bahamas.

22 minutes ago, Zacharius said:

Astra Zeneca, Sputnik, etc. etc.

Safe to say AZ vaccine will be on the list (US study has debunked blood clot link; EU really has a lot to answer for this as it was political decision to suspend vaccine, then EU medical Council told them its safe to use...now people wary of this vaccine for no reason, EU holding onto millions of doses claiming shortages and not releasing to Covax countries - which is leaving the door wide open to China to swoop in with their untested vaccine - the EU have made a pigs ear mess of it, but it's unacceptable the knock on effect!!!).

Anyho, there seems to be a cluster of vaccines that would make the list...AZ, Pfizer, moderna, J&J... it will be interesting to see what gets added to this list: there's an Indian vaccine that's going through testing rounds in the UK, and then there's the Russian one (which is being rolled out in the UAE, a RCI home port)

16 minutes ago, Brogan said:

I live in the UK and my view is that everyone who can should get the vaccine. In my opinion its the only way out of the pandemic and so I struggle to find any plausible argument against taking the vaccine. I’m only 19 so will be amongst the last to be offered it but when my time comes I will certainly be taking it. If Royal Caribbean mandates the having to have had the vaccine to sail I think thats a good ideas as there is a lot less chance of transmission of the virus and therefore a lot less likely cruising could be disrupted. Also in the fullness of time hopefully the vaccine can mean other measures like masks could be removed sooner. Anyway I cannot wait to cruise again!!

If everyone in the world gets vaccinated then:

1. Corona virus will still be out there
  2. Will still spread
  3. Will still cause illness in a very small number globally each year
  4. Vaccines are already showing, here in the UK, that hospitalisation has dropped off a cliff
  5. Deaths have stopped amongst those that have been vaccinated
  6. Everyone knows that Flu kills millions globally each year, but, cos you know that the flu vaccine has a 40% efficacy .... covid vaccines are hitting above 90%...
  7. Main focus should be on variants (but those vaccine scientists are already testing out seasonal updates to vaccines, and so far so good 

But this would only true if everyone gets vaccinated...I believe people should be free to choose whether they have the vaccine, but we also have the democratic choice to mandate vaccine requirements in shared spaces, people can make their choice...

15 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Novovax will likely join AZ with an EUA by May in the USA.

Here in the UK, we have licenced the moderna one but won't have vaccine supply until next month.

J&J and the Indian vaccine are going through licencing atm, but seeing as government funds are being spent on setting up even more manufacturing sites and one of which is for J&J, I'd say this is likely to be licenced very soon

As a front liner worker I’ve already had both shots so I’m good there. I get tested all the time, but I can’t get a certificate for this you have to “buy” a test and certificate which sucks but again doable    

I’m happy to wear a mask from my cabin to areas on the ship or in/out of eating areas but I would be bothered about wearing one sitting by the pool. 

I wonder if the gyms would be open ?

14 minutes ago, Royale said:

I’m happy to wear a mask from my cabin to areas on the ship or in/out of eating areas but I would be bothered about wearing one sitting by the pool. 

Good points!

Many of these questions will only be answered by actually sailing.  Even then, it will undoubtedly change over the first few weeks/months.

I'm ready to go sailing and will do my best to get on the Celebrity Millennium as early as possible.  I'm sure that many people, including me, will be posting about our experience.

On 3/12/2021 at 2:16 PM, Neesa said:

Being in my 50's we are not Covid Shot eligible age in Florida right now. We are not fans nor do we usually partake in vaccines. Weighing this with lots of research, I believe I would only get the shot if RCCL mandates to sail. If I am running around trying to get covid testing and results in a very slim window, then must wear a mask the entire sailing I am leaning towards not getting vaccinated. We have been freedom living, going to school, out to eat etc (all very mindfully) daughter in school successfully since August. 

I am trying to get out of my own bubble and listen to some other points of view regarding covid behaviors coupled with other sailing families, no politics just pure thoughts regarding what you guys have been mulling over the first chance you get to sail.. Thanks so much!

From:  Adventure of the Seas | Cruise Ships | Royal Caribbean Cruises -- it states (at the time of this post) that vaccines are mandatory.  It doesn't say anything about mask wearing, but last I saw they were making it mandatory.  I said this months ago that I expect them to pull their ships out of US ports and put them in other ports due to the over-reach of the CDC.  By the way, it is unlawful for an employer to mandate a vaccine while the vaccine is under an EUA.  https://www.statnews.com/2021/02/23/federal-law-prohibits-employers-and-others-from-requiring-vaccination-with-a-covid-19-vaccine-distributed-under-an-eua/    I personally will not sail where there unlawful and unhealthy mandates.

2 hours ago, SandyW said:

By the way, it is unlawful for an employer to mandate a vaccine while the vaccine is under an EUA.  https://www.statnews.com/2021/02/23/federal-law-prohibits-employers-and-others-from-requiring-vaccination-with-a-covid-19-vaccine-distributed-under-an-eua/   

Since we're talking about a foreign flagged vessel, possibly owned by a foreign subsidiary and sailing out of foreign ports, I'm not sure US law applies to these sailings.

16 hours ago, Royale said:

As a front liner worker I’ve already had both shots so I’m good there. I get tested all the time, but I can’t get a certificate for this you have to “buy” a test and certificate which sucks but again doable    

The   spas are can always offer a "spray - on" tan face touch up to fix the "mask lines".  Another product  to sell.

In Texas, this will happen next week:

https://www.dshs.texas.gov/news/releases/2021/20210323.aspx#:~:text=All adults will be eligible,in the current priority groups.

If you don't want to click on the link, it's an official release from the state saying that TX will be opening up the COVID vaccines to all adults beginning next Monday (March 29.) 

17 minutes ago, Sushitex said:

In Texas, this will happen next week:

https://www.dshs.texas.gov/news/releases/2021/20210323.aspx#:~:text=All adults will be eligible,in the current priority groups.

If you don't want to click on the link, it's an official release from the state saying that TX will be opening up the COVID vaccines to all adults beginning next Monday (March 29.) 

Supply is approaching demand in TX.  My 30yr old son just received vaccination appointment text from VA.  My wife and  I have each had the first and second is coming up.  Progress.

On 3/12/2021 at 1:16 PM, Neesa said:

Being in my 50's we are not Covid Shot eligible age in Florida right now. We are not fans nor do we usually partake in vaccines. Weighing this with lots of research, I believe I would only get the shot if RCCL mandates to sail. If I am running around trying to get covid testing and results in a very slim window, then must wear a mask the entire sailing I am leaning towards not getting vaccinated. We have been freedom living, going to school, out to eat etc (all very mindfully) daughter in school successfully since August. 

I am trying to get out of my own bubble and listen to some other points of view regarding covid behaviors coupled with other sailing families, no politics just pure thoughts regarding what you guys have been mulling over the first chance you get to sail.. Thanks so much!

I agree with the whole 100% vaccinated ship policy, but against wearing masks of everyone is vaccinated. Let’s put some thought into this. I understand that these companies are doing ANYTHING they can to just get sailing again. My husband and I have booked a celebrity cruise for end of November. We will however cancel if we are mandated to wear masks as well. We want to get away from all of this. The risks will be very minimal and we are willing to take that risk. If you’re not, that’s ok too. 

On 3/21/2021 at 10:03 AM, Matt said:

Still not old enough to qualify 

Go Away What GIF by Film Riot

Matt, not sure how "not old enough" you are but wanted to give a shout out to  @twangsterfor pointing out that Orange county was now accepting 40+ instead of 50+ like the rest of the state. Got an appointment this morning and headed over to the convention center in a few minutes ?

On 3/12/2021 at 1:22 PM, mook1525 said:

I just hope no mask mandate if vaccinated AND tested negative prior to embarkation.

I spent many hours on pool deck and wearing mask there would be a deal breaker to me

Agreed. Will cancel ours if that is the case. Husband fully vaccinated and I have my 1st. 

3 hours ago, jticarruthers said:

I'm hoping they end up agreeing with no masks required by then, will decide whether to mask or cancel closer to the time if it comes down to it.

I would be thrilled with a hybrid approach.  Outside in the open air, no mask.  Walking down the hall to my cabin, mask if necessary.  

I don't think this has been posted anywhere. Sorry if I've duplicated information in another thread.

On Monday, the CDC updated it's guidance for people who are fully vaccinated. The link below will take you to a yellow highlighted paragraph at the incredibly cumbersome CDC web site that sums up this nothing burger. There's a ton of ancillary information at the link and since I've been bitching about public health authorities not providing guidance on how we should act as we return to normal activities, this is that guidance - a bit too narrowly focused for me but nonetheless .......

Does it mean anything that helps or hurts a return to cruising out of US or European ports?  Not really but here's my take:

If you dig into the information that is within and around the link, it's pretty clear that the CDC doesn't think travel is safe even as vaccinations increase nor do they think being in public spaces, indoors with a lot of people, even if all of them are vaccinated, like cruise ships, is safe. This warrants a face-palm from me. The data is out there to suggest the CDC is wrong on both counts.

I've acknowledged that the CDC's position based only on the few reliable COVID studies published so far is defensible. CDC continues to recommend that face masks should be worn in any indoor public setting. Fine with me. However, it' s far from practical in the sense that it fails to address the anecdotal yet solid reality that vaccines are a game changer regarding how safely Americans who are vaccinated can interact. It also fails to recognize that people are sick and tired of COVID, aren't paying a lot of attention to what's coming out of the mouths or PH officials and that continued restrictions on mobility and social activity that don't make any sense are probably counter productive ..... people are ignoring reasonable mitigation measures because the number of unreasonable ones remain at unrealistic levels, e.g., baring cruise ship operations from US ports declaring that even for vaccinated people, travel should be avoided.

The bottom line for me is that yesterday's updated guidance from the CDC for vaccinated Americans isn't going to move the needle towards an early resumption of any kind of cruising. That includes test cruises the CDC has mandated which are presently unnecessary. That CDC mandated requirement should be ditched.  

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated-guidance.html#:~:text=In public spaces%2C fully vaccinated,often%2C and following any applicable

2 hours ago, twangster said:

I would be thrilled with a hybrid approach.  Outside in the open air, no mask.  Walking down the hall to my cabin, mask if necessary.  

Yep no concerns from me with that approach. I dont mind the indoor spaces out of "an abundance of caution" but the outside spaces on a fully vaccinated ship feels foolish.

On 3/12/2021 at 4:13 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

We will not get a vaccine unless forced to and we will never ever get the mRNA vaccine under any circumstances.  We're waiting it out...

Glad to see your point of view coming from a supremely experienced cruiser. Doing the same minus the vaccine if forced part. I'll be relegated to the 2nd class citizen that will become of those that will refuse to vaccinate. It's a shame because cruising was a supreme love of our growing family. 

On 3/23/2021 at 7:42 PM, jticarruthers said:

Yep no concerns from me with that approach. I dont mind the indoor spaces out of "an abundance of caution" but the outside spaces on a fully vaccinated ship feels foolish.

This is my thought as well. If I don't have to wear one in my cabin or in outdoor areas, I'm happy wearing one inside. 

Some news on shots: People Who've Had COVID-19 Need Just One Coronavirus Vaccine Shot (businessinsider.com)

According to the article there are several studies in review right now, so hopefully once the studies are published the guidance from CDC will also change to allow one shot vaccine regimen for anyone who had Coronavirus infection.

On 3/23/2021 at 8:00 AM, steverk said:

Since we're talking about a foreign flagged vessel, possibly owned by a foreign subsidiary and sailing out of foreign ports, I'm not sure US law applies to these sailings.

It is a grey area, but I referenced the site so to make people aware in case they worked for a US employer, while the ships are mandating the shot as of 3/26/2021 - but they may not mandate it later, it is unknown.