Shot, Test, Mask?

Neesa

Being in my 50's we are not Covid Shot eligible age in Florida right now. We are not fans nor do we usually partake in vaccines. Weighing this with lots of research, I believe I would only get the shot if RCCL mandates to sail. If I am running around trying to get covid testing and results in a very slim window, then must wear a mask the entire sailing I am leaning towards not getting vaccinated. We have been freedom living, going to school, out to eat etc (all very mindfully) daughter in school successfully since August. 

I am trying to get out of my own bubble and listen to some other points of view regarding covid behaviors coupled with other sailing families, no politics just pure thoughts regarding what you guys have been mulling over the first chance you get to sail.. Thanks so much!

I also live in Florida and people see our state as crazy but I think we are doing very well!!!!

I am also not a vaccine person, however, I would get it if required by the cruise line.  Unfortunately, if the ship is 100% vaccinated, you still have the chance of getting it and I think you would still have to wear masks.

I plan to vaccinate when eligible.  Mostly so I can travel not only on cruises but elsewhere to countries that will have requirements in place.  Also though the longer we have elevated numbers of new cases the longer big brother CDC will be in my life so I'm going to do my part to get them back into the jack-in-a-box they sprang out of.

The sooner numbers get down and stay down the sooner we get rid of this unwelcome guest living rent free in our lives and by that I mean the CDC.  If getting a vaccine gets the CDC out of my life I'd take several shots if it meant getting them out of my life any faster. 

8 minutes ago, steverk said:

3 of my co-workers had very rough cases of COVID.  I don't want any part of that, so I got my first shot 2 days ago. 

As far as risks go, I feel that the risk from the vaccine, although real, is small compared to the risks of getting the disease.

Yep, I have lost a 30-something year old friend, and two friends' fathers. I have no desire to mess around with it and will get the shot the moment I am eligible. 

I'll get the shot as soon as I'm eligible.  Maine has changed the priority list a couple times, so now I'm hoping to get it by May.

I know two people my age (early/mid 50s) who have been dealing with lingering Covid crap for a few months now.  Both still have blood clots in their lungs, and one is having heart problems.  I'll take a vaccination please, thank you very much.

idga... about masking on a ship.  I'll wear it wherever the rules say I must.

@Neesastarting Monday it’s 60 and older for Florida. I bet in less than 2 weeks after that it’ll be 50 and older. 

Florida is kicking butt in the vaccine department. 

I’m now pushed back to late October cruise. I’ll wait until 30 days prior to vaccinate. Hoping cases will be so low that vaccination won’t be needed. 

If masks still required on sun deck in October, I’ll cancel. That’s the one deal breaker. I’ll wear one anywhere else on the ship but not on pool/sun deck. 

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Just checked the driveway and the CDC is still here:

200.gif

I'd actually planned on doing a riff of this on CocoCay as my christmas card last year.... Still have the tube/hat/robe/socks packed, maybe we'll get there soon enough this year to do it.

But agree with your previous statement too.  Just got the second dose this week, well worth the two days of feeling like someone ran me over with a truck and when they got out to help me decided it'd be more fun to just jump back in and do it a few more times.  Should help with other travel this summer and getting the CDC off our backs sooner, I hope.

I do plan on getting the vaccine later this summer once there is enough supply and I can choose which shot I want.  Prior to COVID I did a lot of travel domestically and internationally.  Working in the travel industry I think it is only a matter of time before many countries around the world begin requiring all international inbound passengers be fully vaccinated.   We saw this with testing, once there was enough testing where anyone and everyone could get a COVID test many countries began requiring all international inbound passengers to present proof of a negative COVID test prior to boarding a flight.  Some countries have gone further and now  and are  testing passengers again once they arrive even though they tested negative just a few hours ago.

I think this is where we are headed with the vaccines.  Once their are enough vaccines available world wide you will see countries moving towards requiring all inbound international passengers present proof of vaccination and they might still require passenger present a negative COVID test until there is enough data to say unequivocally that fully vaccinated individual can not spread the virus.

Also another thing to keep in mind about cruising is cruise lines sailing out of the US will have to comply not only with CDC guidelines but also all health and safety guidelines of each country their ships will visit where passengers will disembark.  Islands in the Caribbean probably do not want open their doors to millions of cruise line passengers if they are unvaccinated because it would increase their risk.  If Biden can deliver on his promise that anyone who wants a vaccine can get a vaccine by May 31st, I think the CDC will allow cruising to resume in July.  And to address any Caribbean island lingering concern about importing more virus via cruise ships I think cruise lines will require every passenger be fully vaccinated and they may still require a negative COVID test prior to boarding.

I just got the Moderna and other than sore arm for 24 hours feel fine. 

I also had COVID in December 2020 maybe that make a difference or because I haven't had my second shot yet?

I went with that shot due to several Dr friends got it after their research. 

I'm glad we have choices and everyone can make their own decisions.

My husband is on the fence.

14 minutes ago, cookie10* said:

I would like see vaccines mandated to sail. then open the ship up with hardy any changes..... 

No vaccine is full proof against covid, and they don't know enough about potential boosters for variants...so reasonable safeguarding onboard AND vaccination would be more realistic for a year or two...

Got the first shot last week. Was on a waiting list for extras so got lucky and was able to get it before my time. I am not really a vaccine person, I only get the flu shot every few years but I REALLY wanted to see my family and they all have either comorbitities or work in health care. so got it already. We lost a family member recently (non covid related) and it was worse because we couldn't gather afterwards due to everyone's health concerns. 

I started looking up cruises immediately. 

Has anyone seen the number of vaccines needed (pre COVID) to enter the U.S. legally? - about a dozen. RCI does not want to mandate vaccine and become a political punching bag, all they need is one or more of their ports of call to mandate it so they do not have to look like the bad guy. For example there are many countries with mosquito born illnesses that require vaccinations that we do not require in North America.  

Brilliance July 21

Harmony Nov. 21

7 minutes ago, esmoov said:

Has anyone seen the number of vaccines needed (pre COVID) to enter the U.S. legally? - about a dozen. RCI does not want to mandate vaccine and become a political punching bag, all they need is one or more of their ports of call to mandate it so they do not have to look like the bad guy. For example there are many countries with mosquito born illnesses that require vaccinations that we do not require in North America.  

Brilliance July 21

Harmony Nov. 21

Those vaccines are required for citizenship/permanent residence, not just for a vacation.

On 3/13/2021 at 1:46 PM, deep1 said:

WAAAYTOOO

I concur... J+J is my plan... Extensive research by my fiance' after her brother had two very bad and scary days after his second dose seemed to indicate your idea is indeed a sound one.

My wife and mother both had their second shot on this past Thursday morning. One Pfizer, one Moderna. Neither had anything more than a slightly sore arm and red injection sight for about 18-24 hours. Reactions seem to be all over the place. 

Too many beautiful places I can go in the US without a mask to ever have to wear one on a cruise ship. no masks required on my pontoon boat! And imagine that tan line  ?

No mention about excursions either - will they mandate that you have to take "official" RCCL excursions to enforce their rules? That would definitely be a deal breaker for me.

On 3/15/2021 at 8:15 AM, Zacharius said:

My wife and mother both had their second shot on this past Thursday morning. One Pfizer, one Moderna. Neither had anything more than a slightly sore arm and red injection sight for about 18-24 hours. Reactions seem to be all over the place. 

I'm curious if the people who have severe reactions to the vaccine are the same people who would've had a severe reaction to covid if they got it. That might explain why the reactions vary by person.

I'll get the vaccine once I'm eligible, not just to cruise but for my own peace of mind. Several family members are fully vaccinated and had no side effects other than the sore arm, which appears to be universal to nearly everybody who gets it.

The people I know who have been vaccinated have all had the Moderna shot.  Without fail, all of them (around 15 or so...I know, not a good scientific sampling) have had 18-24 hours of muscle aches, low grade fever, etc after the second shot.  Their ages range from early 30s to late 60s. 

At work, we're making sure everyone who gets their second shot has the day their second shot after off.   A friend of mine who is a firefighter said that his company made sure everyone was off duty the day after the second shot.*

*Edited to clarify cause I'm sure someone will mention it:  All the firefighters weren't off duty at once.  They staggered the vaccines so not everyone would be under the weather at once.

19 hours ago, cruisellama said:

Virgin Atlantic announced they will require vaccinations for both crew and passengers when they startup in July.

Yes Virgin Voyages is requiring vaccines for all guests - but again - they only have 2 ships, with a few others ones coming

online and its adults only - so they have some advantages to making this work and securing bookings with people that

are "worried" I guess.  Time will tell.

On 3/13/2021 at 2:41 PM, deep1 said:

My plan is for the J+J myself... Not perfect but seems the lesser of three evils. 

Sorry but to refer to life saving vaccines as evils is nonsense. If you could walk thru the ICU at my hospital today you would feel differently. The people in those beds (if they were awake and not intubated) would gladly go back in time to get vaccinated. The vaccines are safe period, the vaccines prevent COVID period, soon they will publish guidance that the vaccines prevent transmission period. Another guarantee...this virus doesn’t go away unless enough people are vaccinated. 

2 hours ago, teddy said:

The people I know who have been vaccinated have all had the Moderna shot.  Without fail, all of them (around 15 or so...I know, not a good scientific sampling) have had 18-24 hours of muscle aches, low grade fever, etc after the second shot.  Their ages range from early 30s to late 60s. 

At work, we're making sure everyone who gets their second shot has the day their second shot after off.   A friend of mine who is a firefighter said that his company made sure everyone was off duty the day after the second shot.*

*Edited to clarify cause I'm sure someone will mention it:  All the firefighters weren't off duty at once.  They staggered the vaccines so not everyone would be under the weather at once.

My husband and I both had the Moderna vaccines with absolutely no side effects, other than being less sore at the injection site than with a tetanus shot. I worked 12-hour shifts after mine (no choice, nobody else to cover).  I know you don't "know" me, but I'm somebody!  ?

1 hour ago, loki007 said:

Sorry but to refer to life saving vaccines as evils is nonsense. If you could walk thru the ICU at my hospital today you would feel differently. The people in those beds (if they were awake and not intubated) would gladly go back in time to get vaccinated. The vaccines are safe period, the vaccines prevent COVID period, soon they will publish guidance that the vaccines prevent transmission period. Another guarantee...this virus doesn’t go away unless enough people are vaccinated. 

Not being insensitive. I have lost to the virus itself. I lost one to complications from the intubation as well. I also knew many that it was barely as much as a cold. Then,   I have also lost to the vaccine. A healthy doctor friend passing away being one and my Fiance's brother being paralyzed for a few days made it clear that its not a walk in the park either. An "evil" so to speak.  It was forced upon us by a man made problem. Granted its a potential solution to a bad problem but it would be a lot nicer if it was never needed and the remote possibility of bad side effects wasn't there. 

1 hour ago, SpeedNoodles said:

My husband and I both had the Moderna vaccines with absolutely no side effects, other than being less sore at the injection site than with a tetanus shot. I worked 12-hour shifts after mine (no choice, nobody else to cover).  I know you don't "know" me, but I'm somebody!  ?

Awesome!!!!  

if I end up getting the Moderna shots,  I’m gonna try to channel you guys. 

My opportunity is coming right up, so it’s nice to see that it’s not always bad the day after.

On 3/17/2021 at 11:44 AM, KyleW22 said:

I'm curious if the people who have severe reactions to the vaccine are the same people who would've had a severe reaction to covid if they got it. That might explain why the reactions vary by person.

I wonder about that too.  I know people who have had zero reactions and those who've spent 24-36 hours in bed from each of the three vaccines.  I'm one shot in with Pfizer and I waited the 2 hours at M&T stadium.  Nobody was thrilled to be in line that long but I didn't hear anyone complaining too much.  

9 minutes ago, mbk999 said:

I wonder about that too.  I know people who have had zero reactions and those who've spent 24-36 hours in bed from each of the three vaccines.  I'm one shot in with Pfizer and I waited the 2 hours at M&T stadium.  Nobody was thrilled to be in line that long but I didn't hear anyone complaining too much.  

I would say there is no correlation. The reaction to the COVID vaccine is very similar to the flu shot. Most people feel nothing, about 10% of people report feeling crappy for a day or two. I had zero reaction, my wife felt crappy for about a day starting about 12 hours after her second dose. In terms of people having a bad reaction to COVID itself, after age, being overweight seems to be the most common risk factor people share that are being admitted to hospitals.