Voyager of the Seas Questions

bigpete

Hi all, 

I was recently looking at cruises and I narrowed it down to two. 

Option 1: 10 Night Baltic, June 2022- Voyager of the Seas - R/t Copenhagen

Option 2: 7 Night Israel/Greece/Turkey, May 2022 - NCL Jade - R/t Athens

I am leaning towards the Voyager cruise, but know virtually nothing about it. Paging anybody who has sailed on that class of ship please with recommendations and reviews!

Namesake of the Voyager class consisting of Voyager, Adventure, Explorer, Mariner and Navigator but also the foundation for Freedom class consisting of Freedom, Liberty and Independence which are a lengthened version of Voyager class. 

As you can see a very popular class of ship that spawned another class.  

I find myself drawn to Voyager class because they are a perfect sized ship.  They are large ships but not so large that anything feels that far away.  They flow well from a guest perspective.  Voyager has gained features like Flowriders and waterslides plus she has the very popular Ice Skating rink and shows.   Royal is investing in this class to meet the expectations of current cruisers so it's not like these ships are frozen in time.

I also like mega sized ships such as Oasis class for all that the extra space allows mega ships to have but it's always great to return to Voyager class which offer a lot to do in a perfect size below that of the mega ship.  The large outdoor promenade decks with a helipad open to the public are something I miss when I sail Oasis class and you'll find those on Voyager.

I have a future cruise booked on Voyager and several of her sisters in this class because they are a perfect sized ship with a lot to do.

8 minutes ago, twangster said:

Namesake of the Voyager class consisting of Voyager, Adventure, Explorer, Mariner and Navigator but also the foundation for Freedom class consisting of Freedom, Liberty and Independence which are a lengthened version of Voyager class. 

As you can see a very popular class of ship that spawned another class.  

I find myself drawn to Voyager class because they are a perfect sized ship.  They are large ships but not so large that anything feels that far away.  They flow well from a guest perspective.  Voyager has gained features like Flowriders and waterslides plus she has the very popular Ice Skating rink and shows.   Royal is investing in this class to meet the expectations of current cruisers so it's not like these ships are frozen in time.

I also like mega sized ships such as Oasis class for all that the extra space allows mega ships to have but it's always great to return to Voyager class which offer a lot to do in a perfect size below that of the mega ship.  The large outdoor promenade decks with a helipad open to the public are something I miss when I sail Oasis class and you'll find those on Voyager.

I have a future cruise booked on Voyager and several of her sisters in this class because they are a perfect sized ship with a lot to do.

6152-2T.jpg

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Ha!  They are hardly small ships! 

Until Carnival built Mardi Gras (which hasn't sailed with guests yet) Voyager class is larger than anything in the whale tail fleet.  

That is crazy, I've sailed on CCL Breeze and really enjoyed it, but even that felt crowded. 

Is it larger in tonnage or passenger capacity, or both?

Also what have you thought in trips past about the food on voyager, I recently cruised on Oasis and thought the food was lacking in the buffet area. 

1 hour ago, bigpete said:

That is crazy, I've sailed on CCL Breeze and really enjoyed it, but even that felt crowded. 

Is it larger in tonnage or passenger capacity, or both?

Also what have you thought in trips past about the food on voyager, I recently cruised on Oasis and thought the food was lacking in the buffet area. 

Windjammer on Oasis class is my least favorite in the fleet.  I tend to live in the WJ, so to say.  I've done a number of cruises where I've never went to the MDR for a meal.  However food is personal.

I've sailed the Breeze, Magic and Dream.  Dream class are around 128,000 GT with around 3,600 passengers (double occupancy) or 4,700 (max).  I liked them but somethings I preferred on Conquest Class.  

Voyager class is around 137,000 GT with 3,600 passengers (double occupancy) or 4,000 (max).

So Voyager is slightly bigger but with the same or fewer guests typically compared to Dream class.

Those are the hard numbers but numbers don't tell the story of how a ship flows from a guest perspective.  It's not so simple to take volume and divide by passengers to calculate how a ship works or feels for a guest.  For that you really have to sail on a ship.

As far as the ships go that too can come down to personal likes and dislikes.  A number of years ago I felt there were too many service cuts on Carnival so I started looking elsewhere.  Royal hasn't escaped service changes either but in general terms Royal works better for my needs and personal preferences.  I never had a bad Carnival cruise but I just wanted something more.

Bottom line, I like Voyager class but I can find something to like on any cruise ship.  

The Voyager is a great ship. Perfect size, lots to do and since it has been amplified, one of the features is the water slides are great fun. We have sailed on her a few times and we were really upset when we discovered it will no longer service the Australian market. The bigger ships may offer some more activities like iFly but the Voyager class was a perfect mix of activities and relaxation areas, and we hope to get back on board sometime in the future. 

Great choice of ship.