Port OR Starboard @ Port Southampton

I want my balcony stateroom located on the "docked" side of the ship while in Port Southampton. Would that be the PORT or STARBOARD side? I want to be able to see the going-ons while docked. Any information appreciated.

CRUISE: July 8, 2022 -- Anthem of the Seas-- Norway Islands Cruise

Aloha and Mahalo,

Marianette

I have to disagree with @Matt on this one ?. I also like to be on the side of the ship that faces the dock for the same reasons you cite.  I enjoy watching the activity and the docking and undocking process.

For Quantum Class ships like Anthem, they can dock with either side of the ship toward the dock.  On our Ovation sailing to Alaska we were docked on the port side at the home port of Seattle, but we used both sides at the various ports of call.  Looking at photos of Anthem docked in Southampton, she tends to dock on the starboard side but that is not guaranteed. Ships may dock the other direction in order to perform painting and maintenance more easily from the dock, to make docking or sailing easier due to anticipated wind and tide conditions, or other reasons.

Oasis Class ships almost always dock on the Starboard side because the boarding area and traffic flow is set up on that side of the ships.

Anthem and Quantum class in general is designed to load on Starboard on day one.  The boarding flow is into deck 5 or the second level of the esplanade near the staircase to the main level of the esplanade.  Boarding on the port side is possible but doesn't align as well so it doesn't occur as often  In Bayonne for example only once in a while do you see Anthem board port side to the pier.  Most of my Quantum class cruises have embarked on day one using starboard but port side embarking does happen sometimes.

Quantum class can use either side while visiting a port of call since you leave and enter the ship on a lower deck for ports of call.  For day one embarking they seem to prefer starboard side to the pier.

Search google for Anthem Southampton images.  Seems like they show show starboard to the pier.

However understand there are no guarantees.  Sometimes if they need to do maintenance or test lifeboats they can use the other side so it's always possible they could use either side.

On 3/9/2021 at 4:54 PM, Galveston Steve said:

I have to disagree with @Matt on this one ?. I also like to be on the side of the ship that faces the dock for the same reasons you cite.  I enjoy watching the activity and the docking and undocking process.

For Quantum Class ships like Anthem, they can dock with either side of the ship toward the dock.  On our Ovation sailing to Alaska we were docked on the port side at the home port of Seattle, but we used both sides at the various ports of call.  Looking at photos of Anthem docked in Southampton, she tends to dock on the starboard side but that is not guaranteed. Ships may dock the other direction in order to perform painting and maintenance more easily from the dock, to make docking or sailing easier due to anticipated wind and tide conditions, or other reasons.

Oasis Class ships almost always dock on the Starboard side because the boarding area and traffic flow is set up on that side of the ships.

Yes, I too enjoy very much watching the activity from my balcony with cocktail in hand, all part of the adventure and making most of my hard earned cash. Our travel partner also agree with the photo being "starboard" thus I've researched "best" decks and staterooms for that cruise. Enjoy everyone!!!!!