I used Air2Sea for the first time

Matt

14 hours ago, Jill said:

This reminds me to cancel my flights to Rome and back since odyssey is cancelled. Used Air2Sea. (Hello @Sharla, I’ll be emailing you for the hundredth time this week!) 

Will use again to go back to Rome the following year and for Alaska. 

Your flights are canceled- I did that when I moved the cruise ?

40 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

+1 on that. 

I have been somewhat researching it for a while too before @Matt posted this.  I don't need to use it yet.  I'm almost positive the cruise this July to Norway isn't happening.  I was researching for the sailing that I booked July 2022 to Norway.  I wanted to be prepared this summer when flights do get released.  The more I look into it, the more I am not sure if I even want to do it this way or just book direct.  With our own situation for July 2022, we plan to fly into Heathrow at least 5 days prior to sailing and probably fly back to DTW the day after the ship gets back.  So with that cushion, I don't even know if it's worth dealing with Air2Sea.  Unless the price is cheaper than Delta direct, which I doubt it would be seeing that the other thread mentioned an Air2Sea booking fee....

Please don't get discouraged.  I've found Air2Sea no more difficult than booking through other methods and it gives you much more flexibility.

While personally calling is probably the best option for Air2Sea, you can have your travel agent do it or even select from the list of flights on line.  The benefits of using Air2Sea far outweigh any hassle or cost (in fact, I've booked flights through Air2Sea that worked out much cheaper than using Travelocity)

1 hour ago, steverk said:

The benefits of using Air2Sea far outweigh any hassle or cost (in fact, I've booked flights through Air2Sea that worked out much cheaper than using Travelocity)

I agree. I'm booking with A2S for one reason: if the cruise gets cancelled, I'm not fighting with an airfare refund.

Last year, airlines were handing out refunds, but that's just not happening and I don't want airfare credits.  

So I booked with A2S so that when cruise is cancelled ~60 days before the sailing, airfare is refunded automagically.

10 minutes ago, Sharla said:

I'm debating booking flights for this cruise. I have a Delta voucher that needs to be used by the end of 2021, so that makes booking through the airline compelling, but booking through Air2Sea is much more compelling at this point.  

I am having the same struggle.  I have some AA vouchers that need to be used but for international travel, A2S offers far more peace of mind.

13 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I am having the same struggle.  I have some AA vouchers that need to be used but for international travel, A2S offers far more peace of mind.

I'm an AA frequent flier and I have never heard of a voucher being restricted to international versus domestic? Granted, I'm not terribly familiar with vouchers, but this is news to me. My understanding was that they just needed to be used for trips originating in the US, be it to go from Tulsa to Seattle or from Tulsa to Mumbai. 

46 minutes ago, Zacharius said:

I'm an AA frequent flier and I have never heard of a voucher being restricted to international versus domestic? Granted, I'm not terribly familiar with vouchers, but this is news to me. My understanding was that they just needed to be used for trips originating in the US, be it to go from Tulsa to Seattle or from Tulsa to Mumbai. 

Sorry...I guess I didn't express this clearly.  No, the vouchers I have are not applicable only to international or domestic.  They are just $$ vouchers and can be applied to any booking.  I was just saying that I choose to look to A2S (to which I cannot apply any vouchers) for international bookings instead of booking directly with the airlines because:

1.  There is a degree of safety with A2S in case the flight is delayed, cancelled or otherwise interrupted.

2.  Since it is a fully refundable rate (up until cruise final payment), if the cruise gets cancelled I would get $$ back vs another voucher.

I like it for international as it tends to assemble reasonable connections and they'll reroute you if something is delayed.  I fly from DFW, a major hub.  I find for domestic, they do not open up non-stops until much closer to the cruise departure which corresponds to a higher cost than if you book the non-stop directly with the airline as soon as the flights are available.  Direct/non-stops for domestic is one of my requirements.  But, it's nice that you can defer payment until final cruise payment.  Another plus. 

20 hours ago, em.down.the.rabbit.hole said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/03/09/travel-news-holiday-abroad-covid-restrictions-spain-portugal/

Scroll through this article (post at 3.47pm most interesting) .... International cruising from UK expected later on this summer... not just domestic cruising.

That would be great if they start international passengers later this summer.  I cannot open this article, need to subscribe.  

• 2 weeks later...

Prices seemed to have dropped on Air2Sea for Bahamas. They're now cheaper than I can find elsewhere.  But what a fickle website. Even though it lets you pick multiple airlines, it doesn't seem to actually search on all of those airlines.

And there's now a direct flight from Denver!  I'm not at all comfortable with that 11:37am return time though, at least in a post-covid world.

57 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Prices seemed to have dropped on Air2Sea for Bahamas. They're now cheaper than I can find elsewhere. 

Makes sense, and I'm kicking myself for missing out.

Royal Caribbean said it is discounting fares through Air2Sea.

I bought my airfare a week earlier thinking I was super smart to beat the rush for flights.

We don't even try to fly in day of cruise.  As it stands now we're flying in 2 days before (usually 1 day, but it's the Bahamas, so why not 2?).

It might turn into 1 day though depending on what the final decision is for RC's testing requirement for those under 18. Bahamas doesn't require a negative PCR test for those under 10, so timing on the testing window RC requires could affect how early we get in.

6 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

We don't even try to fly in day of cruise.  As it stands now we're flying in 2 days before (usually 1 day, but it's the Bahamas, so why not 2?)

Two words... PCR Test

Until I have a better understanding of timelines and a solid plan for getting PCR test results in hand in time to board a flight and use them to meet both cruise line and country requirements I'm flying in the day of.  A2S is part of my insurance for doing the unthinkable. 

9 minutes ago, twangster said:

Two words... PCR Test

Until I have a better understanding of timelines and a solid plan for getting PCR test results in hand in time to board a flight and use them to meet both cruise line and country requirements I'm flying in the day of.  A2S is part of my insurance for doing the unthinkable. 

You bring up a really good point.  I booked A2S but am coming in the day before.  I am wondering in RCI will help with arranging the tests.  Do you know whether RCI or Bahamas government will accept the rapid test?

23 minutes ago, twangster said:

Southwest A-List myself but in these wonky times flying in the day of the cruise and with rapidly changing rules for international travel I'm sticking with A2S even if Southwest returns to Nassau. 

Also A-List with companion pass. I am hoping they return service to Nassau soon but will most likely go with Air2Sea for the convenience.

11 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

You bring up a really good point.  I booked A2S but am coming in the day before.  I am wondering in RCI will help with arranging the tests.  Do you know whether RCI or Bahamas government will accept the rapid test?

Bahamas is PCR only (for those over age 10) within 5 days of arrival.

RC is PCR for those under 18, but with no mention of how recent the test has to be.

If RC is also 5 days, then there's no way I can rely on flying in 2 days early.

19 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Bahamas is PCR only (for those over age 10) within 5 days of arrival.

RC is PCR for those under 18, but with no mention of how recent the test has to be.

If RC is also 5 days, then there's no way I can rely on flying in 2 days early.

OK, I would think that RCI would have already stated the testing requirement since they did for under 18.  

I'm also waiting to see how formal night factors in IF the WJ isn't open for dinner.  I'm not an MDR person and often eat dinner in the very relaxed WJ.  That allows me to stay in shorts for dinner.  

That plays into packing and being able to go without checked bags.  I can do week long business trips with carry on so I can do a week long cruise with carry on only but not if I don't have to pack long pants and fancy shirts to eat in the MDR because the WJ is closed.

So yes, the WJ policy during the pandemic impacts my checked bag count for flying.

All, thanks for the great info above!  Hope this is an appropriate question for this thread.  Please re-direct me if not...

Concerning our July Anthem GC, I received a final payment email from Beth @ MEI.  Her email describes a list of Cancellation Penalties.  Maybe I have this wrong, but I was under the impression that the Cruise with Confidence program overrides any/all cancellation penalties.  Is this not true?  Thanks in advance for any help...

6 minutes ago, YOLO said:

Concerning our July Anthem GC, I received a final payment email from Beth @ MEI.  Her email describes a list of Cancellation Penalties.  Maybe I have this wrong, but I was under the impression that the Cruise with Confidence program overrides any/all cancellation penalties.  Is this not true?  Thanks in advance for any help...

You're right, and so is she.

What Beth sent you is penalties after final payment date passes and you request a refund(cash).

Cruise with Confidence allows you to cancel and get a future cruise credit.

• 3 weeks later...

My flight to the Bahamas dropped $62 per person and it was very easy to call up Air2Sea to get the new price.

I can also confirm being able to pick seats through Air2Sea (American Airlines in this case) even though I can't pick them through the airline website.

Another FYI for the Bahamas, their cost for post-cruise airport transportation is $20 per person. 

9 minutes ago, Matt said:

How did you pick seats?

The agent asked if I wanted to pick seats.  Sure, why not!  I just asked to be put as close to the front as possible and she gave me what I assume were the best free seats left. I didn't get great seats, but I can tell from looking on AA.com with a dummy booking there are plenty of seats to upgrade to once the reservation is paid for next week.